OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Cody “Southern Belle” Box Call  (Read 2692 times)

Offline GunRunner

Cody “Southern Belle” Box Call
« on: March 06, 2021, 05:07:57 PM »
I have a slate and glass Cody Call and they both rank high in my collection of pot calls. I see these Cody pot calls mentioned often here on the forum.  However, I do not recall references to the Cody box calls, particularly the “Southern Belle” which is made of southern long leaf heart wood.  Just wondering if any of you have this call and your thoughts and critique of it?

GunRunner
  :turkey:

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
Re: Cody “Southern Belle” Box Call
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 05:17:17 PM »
I am not a huge box call guy, but I do carry one, The Southern Belle. It is made of Heart Pine, it’s a one sider and it is all turkey. Soft yelps, purrs, clucks. It does it all. I bought it from Bill several years ago at the Harrisburg PA show. You won’t be disappointed....there it is, lower corner. Great call
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 05:27:01 PM by Tom007 »
“Solo hunter”

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 05:40:19 PM »
Cody makes good calls. The only factory call I still have is a Cody. The boxes sound good but they have no resale value it seems. I gave mine away. They’re overpriced as well. A good custom box will bring more and be easier to sell. The price of that call you have options.
One siders n I don’t get along. I just don’t see why anyone wants to limit themselves like that. When you try to close them far enough, and I’m referring to the Cody, they almost clack together some of you’re not careful. Don’t go that far the call doesn’t break.
You’d not be robbed getting one, I just feel considering everything you’d have better options.

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 05:55:38 PM »
Cody makes good calls. The only factory call I still have is a Cody. The boxes sound good but they have no resale value it seems. I gave mine away. They’re overpriced as well. A good custom box will bring more and be easier to sell. The price of that call you have options.
One siders n I don’t get along. I just don’t see why anyone wants to limit themselves like that. When you try to close them far enough, and I’m referring to the Cody, they almost clack together some of you’re not careful. Don’t go that far the call doesn’t break.
You’d not be robbed getting one, I just feel considering everything you’d have better options.

You are correct, for $150, you can get a great custom call. I paid $75 bucks as a show special. I will say Mike, when I see you, I will play it. It does sound good, has brought in in few tough Long beards...be safe my friend.
“Solo hunter”

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 07:49:40 PM »

Tom I’ve run em and even owned one. They sound and look good no question w that
You are correct, for $150, you can get a great custom call. I paid $75 bucks as a show special. I will say Mike, when I see you, I will play it. It does sound good, has brought in in few tough Long beards...be safe my friend.

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 08:46:14 PM »

Tom I’ve run em and even owned one. They sound and look good no question w that

Amen my brother
“Solo hunter”

Offline jordanz7935

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2021, 06:57:17 PM »
I got the cherry one sider last year. Its a good sounding box for sure. It does take some getting used to playing it being a one sider. Im not huge on box calls myself but i hunt with the cody equally as much as my hen box. All cody calls are hard to come by this spring as they are closed down until they move into their new shop. I just snatched up a woodsman glass online and its another great sounding cody for the vest.

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2021, 08:21:03 PM »
I got the cherry one sider last year. Its a good sounding box for sure. It does take some getting used to playing it being a one sider. Im not huge on box calls myself but i hunt with the cody equally as much as my hen box. All cody calls are hard to come by this spring as they are closed down until they move into their new shop. I just snatched up a woodsman glass online and its another great sounding cody for the vest.

Amen my friend, Cody makes a great call....
“Solo hunter”

Offline Southerngobbler

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2021, 09:06:17 PM »
I have the southern belle and it plays pretty good. It's not my favorite but not far behind, I wouldn't have any problem using it all season if I had to. That being said I recently acquired a Holey one sider in cherry wood and I like it even better. It could easily be my opening day starter. Had planed on using my ET one sider opening day. I like one siders.

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2021, 03:47:54 PM »
I have the southern belle and it plays pretty good. It's not my favorite but not far behind, I wouldn't have any problem using it all season if I had to. That being said I recently acquired a Holey one sider in cherry wood and I like it even better. It could easily be my opening day starter. Had planed on using my ET one sider opening day. I like one siders.

Good luck with whatever one gets the nod opening day.....
“Solo hunter”

Offline squirrel_hunter

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2021, 08:29:22 AM »
I have been wondering about a cody box call. I use cody glass and slate calls. I like a one sided box call. I have 4 or 5 different brand box calls.