OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I know it’s not a ten

Started by potter, February 12, 2023, 11:04:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

potter

Bought a 12 gauge Ithaca deer slayer 2 last year   Spent allot of time finding the best sabot for it.  Got to hunt with it this year love the gun.  Also 1 st time using tapatalk so I can now post pics I hope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

potter

Quote from: potter on February 12, 2023, 11:04:18 AM
Bought a 12 gauge Ithaca deer slayer 2 last year   Spent allot of time finding the best sabot for it.  Got to hunt with it this year love the gun.  Also 1 st time using tapatalk so I can now post pics I hope

Have anyone tried tss thru a rifled barrel?

potter

Does everyone use tapatalk app.  This seems confusing to me. A lot of work to post a pic. 

paboxcall

Quote from: potter on February 12, 2023, 11:09:25 AM
Does everyone use tapatalk app.  This seems confusing to me. A lot of work to post a pic. 

You got it working, I can see your pictures.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

runngun

That's my favorite 12 gauge!!! I have the Turkey Slayer model and it is awesome.

Have a good one, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Teamblue

Ithaca 37 is one of my favorites. I have too many to count...

crow

I don't think your going to get good patterns out of it. I think you will get either big doughnut holes or horizontal very splotchy patterns because of the rifling.

I have an old sxs with paradox rifling that I've been working with for turkey reloads for the distance barrel. It is finicky with the type of thicker plastic wads used in turkey loads.

The type of wads used for tss were the worst patterns, the Fed flight control wad which seemed to be the thickest was the worst, then the thicker the plastic steel shot wads are (which is what you need to protect your bore and especially rifling from tss damage) the worst the patterns were. a lot of the patters had a very splotchy  pattern high left, hardly no shot holes in the middle of the paper and another sparse splotchy pattern low right.

the best center core patterns in this gun were with combos of old type nitro card, cork, wool felt wads and several layers of thin overshot cards. This was with lead, I would not shoot tss without a thick plastic wad because of damaging your rifling.

It did pattern very well with factory lead target loads, but they are very thin plastic wads and because of your rifling I wouldn't risk that type of wad with tss.

Your getting good sabot groups, I probably wouldn't risk damaging the rifling. I would bet you will get big empty doughnut hole patterns with tss.

Try a dove or target lead load at 20yds at pattern paper. If it's a bad pattern tss will probably be worse

potter

Thanks for the info.  Think I'll stick with my old 10. And save some cash not buying 12gage tss

potter

Your right about the federal fast flight wad. I used them in there heavy 7s shell. They really fouled up my barrel. I used a tight choke from Sumtoy to strip it from shot column quickly.  This gave me a tight pattern with the heavy 7s.  I now have some federal custom tss what size restriction should I use?

crow

Quote from: potter on February 27, 2023, 02:51:27 PM
Your right about the federal fast flight wad. I used them in there heavy 7s shell. They really fouled up my barrel. I used a tight choke from Sumtoy to strip it from shot column quickly.  This gave me a tight pattern with the heavy 7s.  I now have some federal custom tss what size restriction should I use?

I don't have 10gauge experience, what I found in the 20gauge with tss vs fed HVWT.

The tight choke constrictions that patterned the Fed HVWT #7's also had very good patterns with TSS#9, those same chokes did not pattern HVWT #6 or tss #7's, it seemed the constriction was too tight and blew patterns.

In your 10 gauge if you have tss #9  I would try it first in the same choke that patterned the old Fed HVWT #7's good in that gun, if you have tss #8 or #7 it might need less choke constriction.
But I don't know, the 10ga might be more forgiving than a 20ga, If you have the larger tss I would try a shot with the choke you have been using, if the pattern looks splotchy and blown go a more open choke.

potter

Due to the price off these shells im not doing any patterning this year. Im going to hunt with 8&9s with 690 choke. Might shoot one at 15 yds.  Never patterned up close.  But I need to see if overunder is double firing.  Happened last year once.  After that only put one shell in for rest of season   Hope to see u next month