OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Rib mount or Receiver mount  (Read 3047 times)

Offline tonyzzzz

Rib mount or Receiver mount
« on: March 05, 2021, 08:34:04 PM »
Decided it was about time to put a sight on my Benelli M1 90.  Now to decide whether to just it on the rib or go the drill and tape route and mount it on the receiver.  Pros vs cons?

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
Re: Rib mount or Receiver mount
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 08:25:41 AM »
 Drill and Tap it.    :z-twocents: :z-twocents:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline DADOGG14

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 11:17:04 AM »
Drill and tap it X2 ^^^^^

Offline madstrutter

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 09:59:18 PM »
Decided it was about time to put a sight on my Benelli M1 90.  Now to decide whether to just it on the rib or go the drill and tape route and mount it on the receiver.  Pros vs cons?

Meadow Creek rib mount is hands down the way to go.  You're able to get the dot out away from you to provide more clarity and a better field of view since you're not looking through as much glass as you are with the dot right in your face.  Also, your dot is connected to your barrel, not the receiver.  Unlike rifles, there isn't a rigid connection between barrels and receivers on shotguns so you always know the load is going to hit where the barrel is aimed.

Offline tonyzzzz

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 10:52:51 PM »
I think the rib mount is the way I'm going to go.   I am not comfortable drilling the Benelli.  I know guys do it but I have had quality gunsmiths tell me no. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 09:15:22 AM by tonyzzzz »

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2021, 07:19:13 AM »
 :morning:
Well, ya know what is said about opinions..! :camohat:
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2021, 03:07:25 PM »

Meadow Creek rib mount is hands down the way to go.  You're able to get the dot out away from you to provide more clarity and a better field of view since you're not looking through as much glass as you are with the dot right in your face.  Also, your dot is connected to your barrel, not the receiver.  Unlike rifles, there isn't a rigid connection between barrels and receivers on shotguns so you always know the load is going to hit where the barrel is aimed.

OP already decided, but just to be unnecessarily argumentative... You can drill and tap the rib for a SumToy base. Bedded to the rib, this is hard to beat. I dropped mine on a rock. The FF3 took the hit and bent the frame, crunching the lens a little. That was three seasons ago. Haven't had to touch it.

Bedding is critical. These mounts aren't milled to close enough spec. to rely the screws alone. There isn't enough material in the rib to hold enough thread.

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2021, 04:43:36 PM »
I had my Benelli SBE I and my Nova 20 ga. drilled and tapped with no problem.   Just ensure you have a good gunsmith do the work.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline Shady valley birds

• The drummin is deafening
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 09:58:01 PM »
I just picked up an sp10 and wanted to get it drilled and tapped but couldn't find anyone close. So i just ordered a meadow creek mount. Won't be sure if ill dig it or not but i am excited to get a red dot on it. She's a killer!
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.