Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Killer B’s Story Thread

Started by zsully, March 03, 2021, 07:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a_jabbo

Heck yeah, Delmar!!! First blood. Congrats. And so it begins. You guys are chasing gobblers and we're still an month and a half out in PA. These stories will keep me alive for the next month.

Yoder409

Quote from: a_jabbo on March 19, 2021, 11:56:05 PM
Heck yeah, Delmar!!! First blood. Congrats. And so it begins. You guys are chasing gobblers and we're still an month and a half out in PA. These stories will keep me alive for the next month.

I'm in PA, too.  And Sully.

But I'm blowing this popsicle stand next Thursday morning.  Hoping to be in some Osceolas a week from now.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Mossyguy

I busted two off the roost this morning walking in. They were right beside the road I walk in on and I walked right under the tree they were in. They've never roosted there before...EVER..lol.

Wife wasn't feeling too good last night so I left around 9. Gonna try them again this evening.

skimerhorn

Congratulations delmar. Sorry I'm late to the party. My second son was born yesterday, been getting g ready for him. I listened last weekend here in va and didn't heard anything. Hopefully I'll get back scouting by next weekend and I'll be ready for our opener on April 10. Good luck to everybody

Yoder409

Quote from: skimerhorn on March 20, 2021, 12:31:39 PM
Congratulations delmar. Sorry I'm late to the party. My second son was born yesterday, been getting g ready for him. I listened last weekend here in va and didn't heard anything. Hopefully I'll get back scouting by next weekend and I'll be ready for our opener on April 10. Good luck to everybody

CONGRATS to YOU on the new little turkey huntin' buddy !!!!!!!!!!!!   :you_rock:

Went out listening this morning to my usual spot.  18 degrees this morning.  Was there 2 weeks ago on a 50-some degree morning and heard ZILCH.  This morning.........not so much.  There were 3 or 4 or 5 hammering on our big ridgetop.  2 off the lower corner of a clover field.  And at least 2 on the other side of the property.  Also heard more than one (??? on exact number) way off the property.......but a place I can hunt.  Also saw two longbeards feeding by themselves on a neighboring property.  Those are also birds that will be across our property as a matter of course.

Things are looking up.    :icon_thumright:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Mossyguy

2 year old bird down this afternoon...story and pics later!

zsully

Congrats Skimmerhorn!!! I got two boys myself. They keep us on our toes let me tell ya.

Way to get on the board Mossy!!!!! I knew that trigger finger would be itching too bad to let them pass by a second time!

Yoder409

PA elitist since 1979

Mossyguy

So this week has been a doozy. Didn't hunt opening day due to bad weather. I passed on 3 longbeards Tuesday because they came out in a downpour and I didn't want to shoot a soaked bird. I whiffed on one Wednesday..just flat out missed him. Busted two off the roost this morning. They were in a spot I've never seen them roost and I walked right up under them.

This afternoon I went to the spot where I passed on the three. My dad killed one here on Thursday and I knew there were other birds around. I leaned up against a comfy pine tree and got settled in. I wasn't there 15 minutes when two hens walked out about 60 yards and began picking around in the grass. Not 5 minutes later I looked up the dirt road and saw 3 gobblers trotting towards the hens. They linked up with the hens and fed around for about 20 minutes but were staying put at about 75 yards.

All of a sudden all 3 stretched their necks up and stared to the left. A bigger gobbler stepped out in a half strut and mean walked straight to the trio. When he got there he realized he had made a mistake...the 3 younguns surrounded him and began to usher him out of the field. I never had a shot since they were all bunched together. Once that task was complete they went back to what they were doing. I made a few yelps and got one to strut his stuff a bit. I did it again and they slowly made their way closer to my hiding spot. At 30 yards I yelped, all 3 stuck their heads up, and I let the last bird have it. He wasn't a heavy bird-4 ounces shy of being 16 lbs-but a fun 2 year old nevertheless. It was a great afternoon!

a_jabbo

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 20, 2021, 12:11:01 AM
Quote from: a_jabbo on March 19, 2021, 11:56:05 PM

I'm in PA, too.  And Sully.

But I'm blowing this popsicle stand next Thursday morning.  Hoping to be in some Osceolas a week from now.

Yoder, ZSully is my best bud and lives 15 mins from me. We'll be out chasing em together as usual.

a_jabbo

Congratulations, Skimmer!!

Nice bird, Mossy! Good ending to your week.

Mossyguy

Got a bit of an upgrade this afternoon...pics and story to come!

Mossyguy

So my dad fooled with this turkey this morning but he had hens and didn't want to cooperate. My dad is 72 years old and likes to go to bed early when it's not deer season so he told me the spot where he heard him last. I eased in the area around 245 this afternoon. The spot was on a small pine ridge so I set up about 40 yards from the edge. I sat in that spot for 2 hours, calling about every 30-40 minutes.

As you may know a lot of times evening hunts can turn into evening naps. At one point I was in that "not awake but not asleep" mode when I thought I heard a gobble. Two minutes later I heard it again...this time I knew for sure it was him. I let out a few yelps and sure enough he gobbled and he couldn't have been more than 100 yards away but I couldn't see him. I decided to keep quiet and wait him out.

An HOUR LATER I catch movement and I see him peeking over the end of the ridge I was set up on. Unfortunately my gun is on my knee but not shouldered. He slowly makes his way towards me. At 20 yards he walks behind a big pine tree and I bring the gun up as quickly but as quietly as I can. Once he clears the tree I pull the trigger and down he goes.

I know lots of folks like to "run and gun" but it's nice to just sit back, enjoy the afternoon, and see what happens. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Today it did!

json corrector

zsully

Nice Bird Mossy!!!! You're in fire!! Congrats on one heck of a start.

I won't lie, I've never killed a bird in the evening. Someday I hope to check that off the bucket list.

Mossyguy

Quote from: zsully on March 22, 2021, 10:15:21 PM
I won't lie, I've never killed a bird in the evening. Someday I hope to check that off the bucket list.

My last 4-5 birds have been in the evening. Around here in the early season they're usually henned up and don't talk very much. We know the birds are there...it's just tough to get on them in the mornings. If you can catch him by himself later in the day there's a good chance he'll play the game.