OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Best 20g single shooter?  (Read 6088 times)

Offline cknpro1

Best 20g single shooter?
« on: March 03, 2021, 08:15:42 AM »
Morning fellow legionnaires!
I’m seriously considering entering the battlefield this year with a single shot 20g on my shoulder. Like the idea of light weight and easy wield. And I know the right load will bust one just fine. I’d love to hear some experience and recommendations from those experienced with such. Photos are a bonus! I had a friend who used a NEF 20 with 22” barrel and screw-in choke. I think those must be rare as turkey teeth. I e looked at the new Savage/Stevens 301 and it looks good, but barrel is longer than I’d prefer.
So what is the best tool / combo out there? 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline old frank

• Georgia
Re: Best 20g single shooter?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 01:38:23 PM »

Exactly the reason I bought the 301 Compact. Some rattle can paint, A Carlson Longbeard Choke and some Longbeard Shells and it is ready to go.
I used it last season but did not see a turkey.

It is at the gunsmith right now getting a mount installed so I can put a Vortex Venom Red Dot on it.
It is super lightweight and was inexpensive to buy before all this mess, not sure about now!

Offline old frank

• Georgia
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 01:46:37 PM »

I don't know why that picture is huge. I tried to delete it but no luck.--

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 03:28:31 PM »
I got one of the Steven 301 T in 20ga and i have it in 410 also. I really like the guns and the triggers on them are pretty good also.. I have contacted William at Sumtoy about 562 choke for mine.

Offline jordanz7935

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 03:41:24 PM »
Im partial to the NEF/H&R single shots. The american classic single shot shotgun. Used to be a dime a dozen, but unfortunately there not made any more. Ive got a pardner youth 20 ga with fixed full choke and its a 40 yard gun all day. Those NEF's with short threaded barrels are pretty rare in any gauge. Best bang for your buck would definately be a savage 301 turkey. Threaded barrel, scope mount, original bottomland. Only thing that im not a fan of is made in china. Cva makes some nice little single shots also. The Baikal single shots are nice bullet prooof little guns too, but come with fixed chokes.  Ive got a baikal single shot 20ga with scope base and trigger job, but just never got around to getting it threaded for chokes, then bought my H&R 20 ga so the baikal is still a project in the works.

Offline TJR

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 08:09:16 PM »
Built this little guy for my little guy. Unfortunately he has out grown it and graduated to an old 20 ga 870.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 08:35:30 PM »
I really like the Tc encore pro turkey,It's one of my favorite guns. 
Browning'....“The Best There Is”

Austin 3:16...........

Offline gaswamp

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 06:39:40 AM »
a lot of different options out there

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2021, 09:25:50 PM »

I agree that the TC Encore Pro Hunter is an excellent choice for a single shot 20g. It is a stout, well built, well machined gun with a great fit for most. The trigger is firm, but crisp, no play, no slop just firm, smooth with very little travel before the hammer drops. There are plenty of resources avalible for customization. Bellem's TC is one.

My Encore was purchased around 1990 with a 209x50 muzzel loader barrel. It shoots clover leafs at 100 yards with 110 BH powder and TC Shockwave bullets. This is from a clean barrel before every shot. Dirty it groups about 1 inch to 1.5. The fact that the TC encore has interchangable barrels is another plus. I have a 20 gauge Turkey barrel that I shoot handloaded #9 TSS shot and it is devestating. I have also killed coyotes with the Turkey barrel the last being 53 yards and #4 TSS and dropped him on the spot.

This combination (I do not have a rifle barrel yet) should be a consideration. But for a hard hunting rig for a serious hunter it cannot be beat. Unfortunatly it is a little bit pricy for some and then you add the price of TSS and a lot are shaking their head and head over to the budget counter. Do yourselfe a favor and check out reviews and vidios on youtube.

Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline cknpro1

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2021, 09:53:55 PM »

I agree that the TC Encore Pro Hunter is an excellent choice for a single shot 20g. It is a stout, well built, well machined gun with a great fit for most. The trigger is firm, but crisp, no play, no slop just firm, smooth with very little travel before the hammer drops. There are plenty of resources avalible for customization. Bellem's TC is one.

My Encore was purchased around 1990 with a 209x50 muzzel loader barrel. It shoots clover leafs at 100 yards with 110 BH powder and TC Shockwave bullets. This is from a clean barrel before every shot. Dirty it groups about 1 inch to 1.5. The fact that the TC encore has interchangable barrels is another plus. I have a 20 gauge Turkey barrel that I shoot handloaded #9 TSS shot and it is devestating. I have also killed coyotes with the Turkey barrel the last being 53 yards and #4 TSS and dropped him on the spot.

This combination (I do not have a rifle barrel yet) should be a consideration. But for a hard hunting rig for a serious hunter it cannot be beat. Unfortunatly it is a little bit pricy for some and then you add the price of TSS and a lot are shaking their head and head over to the budget counter. Do yourselfe a favor and check out reviews and vidios on youtube.
I considered. TC, but they are hard to find as well as expensive. Used would be the only way to go, but not any around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Ranman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 08:41:16 AM »
I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot a 20ga with a fixed full choke barrel using TSS. Sure you may get higher numbers with tighter screw in chokes, but a factory full will give a good deadly pattern.

Offline Sungrazer

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2021, 01:36:35 PM »
Local store has a CVA hunter 20GA./243 combo on sale, fixed choke-not full though. I’m intrigued by the price, but haven’t found much info searching YouTube. Anyone have experience with the CVA? I would have to send it off to be threaded for choke.

Offline tnanh

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2021, 12:34:48 PM »
I have the CVA hunter that was sent to Sumtoy. Barrel cut to 20 inches and sum toy .562. Has one of his mounts and a ff3 on it. Barely weighs 5 pounds. Also had it dipped in bottomland. There is a picture of it in a thread I posted a few years back along with a pattern pic.. consistently shoots high 130s low 140s with hevi 13 #7s. Every cva i have shot has great triggers. In my opinion, you cant go wrong with Cva. I like the Savage also I just dont like the extra safety on a ss with a hammer.

Offline chatterbox

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2021, 03:20:34 PM »
This is my setup

It’s a modified H&R 20 gauge that I sent the barrel to SumToy for a barrel thread and drill and tap for a FFIII.
I put an ATI stock on it, and shoot Federal 3-2.5-9’s

Offline JodyPenny

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2021, 06:44:43 PM »
Here’s my 20ga H&R. I sent it to Sumtoy and got his choke and a FF3 sight. The bottom gun is my 410 that has also been to Sumtoy.