OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Regarding call sounds  (Read 4001 times)

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Regarding call sounds
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2021, 02:14:44 PM »
As others have said , we each have that sound we look for. thank goodness all hens sound different and cadence plays the biggest roll in my opinion. now there are only a handful of guys that post about their opinion of a certain call that I pay attention to. I know we like similar sounding calls. That being said , take a guy that says " This is the best call I have owned. It's awesome". Well , does that gut have a hundred pot calls or only a couple. Has he been playing calls 40 years or one year. You have to be careful of the opinions you are listening to. Take this into account also. Just because a call comes from a well known maker , does not mean its a smoker. You and I could get the same call from a maker that was made out of the same board and mine may be a smoker but yours a average one. You can pick up 10 calls off of a call makers table at a show , and find one out of the 10 that you would personally hunt. It gets me when guys ask about a certain combo , especially on a box call. Well I may have a all walnut that is a smoker and you may order one and its nothing like the one I have. The important thing is pick calls YOU like the sound of. You will tend to run it more , therefore increasing the odds of calling in birds , the result will breed confidence and before you know it , that's your go to call. It took awhile but I finally figured out there is no Holy Grail call. I love Turkey calls and will continue to hoard them. Its my hobby. I love getting new calls and calling in birds. I find I have a almost all new lineup the following year. I do have a couple that stay with me year after year, They are my Holy Grail calls so to speak.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline ol bob

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2021, 02:47:27 PM »
99% of calls will kill turkeys, The sound is for the people buying the calls.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2021, 04:33:13 PM »
99% of calls will kill turkeys, The sound is for the people buying the calls.

I totally agree with this simple statement.  The fact is that we are human beings trying to understand and speak the "language" of a bird,...and that is a bird that has as many varying voices as we do as human beings.  Calling turkeys has more to do with what you are saying to that bird,...and how you are saying it,...than it does the sound of the "voice" in the call that you are saying it with. 

Yes, it is true that a call has to sound somewhat like a wild turkey, but hunters have a tendency to put way too much stock in the sound of a call rather than learning what to say (or NOT to say) and when (or NOT) to say it. 

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2021, 04:35:47 PM »
Turkey calls are like bass baits. They catch more hunters than fish.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2021, 04:53:59 PM »

Yes but they are fun. There’s some great points brought up. Hope it helps someone

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2021, 05:47:40 PM »
  I've heard and done what I would consider crappy calling and had birds come a' running.  Many times the calling that sounds really good doesn't result in birds. 

A truer statement has not been uttered.

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2021, 08:04:50 PM »

Yes but they are fun. There’s some great points brought up. Hope it helps someone

Amen brother
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”

Offline tiberiuswade

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2021, 12:18:07 PM »
Guys if you're interested in turkey calling...get with me as I'll be hosting a NWTF turkey calling contest in June,  college Station, TX. Details on how to from many callers who compete at national level. This will be a sanctioned contest that winners will qualify for NWTF Grand nationals in Edgefield, SC.
I working on the online application process and registration form. Best way to learn about turkey calling and get tips on how's and see various calls an technique. Prizes will be given

Norm wade
NWTF Texas State board

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2021, 01:02:00 PM »

The really good turkey calls, like really good bass baits always seem to rise to the top.
There's a reason most good bass fishermen have a good supply of rubber worms in their box. Might not be flashy, but they work  ;D

Offline ol bob

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2021, 01:56:33 PM »
Calling contest calling is about as far as you can get from calling turkeys in the woods.

Offline greencop01

• Longbeard
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2021, 02:42:53 PM »
When I ordered a Beggin Machine from Mr Billy Bush we talked turkey over the phone.He related to me about a customer who didn't like the sound out of his 'machine'. Billy asked him did you call in gobblers with it. He replied yes but I don't like the sound and I won't use it and Billy laughed when he told me this. Billy said you have to go by the gobbler's ear not yours. So simple and so true. The gobbler's ear, not our ear.  :funnyturkey:
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!