OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Call blew my mind!  (Read 4615 times)

Offline M,Yingling

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • In The Hills, PA
Re: Call blew my mind!
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2021, 08:24:06 AM »
the guyis happy with his call ,, the big thing here is did he ask for your opinion on the call never seen that or heard him ask ,,,, if thats the sound he fills is going call a bird so be it ,,move on let guy be happy LOL   
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
 https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Offline HillclimberWV

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2021, 08:52:40 PM »
I've got more gobbles from a mad shady lady box call i got at Dunham for $20 on clearance. Cheapest call i have and it helped fill a tag this year.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline MISSISSIPPI Double beard

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2021, 10:35:34 AM »
I would carry that call to the woods with no hesitation.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Offline richard black

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2021, 12:47:05 PM »
That call will kill turkeys. Last time I checked, turkeys aren’t aware of how much a call costs and really don’t care. If it works, use it!

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2021, 02:48:22 PM »
I may buy one, even if it doesn’t have a cover.  But come to think of it, none of my pot calls have covers...  I have to get used to a call and find my “spot” on it to get rollover and such.  This call was played right out of the box.  I got my son 2 of those plastic Bassey pot calls from Hooks this year and they sound great.  I will still buy nice custom calls and use them because I like them and I appreciate how they look and the craftsmanship and time it takes to make them. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2021, 04:09:46 PM »
I have two Quaker Boy calls and a Mad Call I used on rainy days, got them back in the 90's when I first started. The Mad Super Crystal has called in turkey before, they Quaker Boy Slate and the Trifecta have not, though I have no reason to believe they would not.

I just choose to make custom calls my main calls because the woods used are a connection back to my father and all the antique furniture he had that I can't afford right now so it brings back memories. Also some of the woods that my calls are made of are made because of trees we used to cut down in the firewood business when I was young.

I think either would bring in a turkey but do feel that strikers make a big difference in sound as does the person playing. I am not the best at playing any call but I am trying to learn to play better. I know those rainy day calls sound much better with JHL, Stuckey, Townsand and many other makers strikers that they do with the production strikers with the exception of the Mad call which just seems to sound the best with the purple heart striker it came with.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2021, 04:30:45 PM »
I know those rainy day calls sound much better with JHL, Stuckey, Townsand and many other makers strikers than they do with the production strikers...
And they’re nice and look nice too.  Each one looks and plays a little differently.  That’s why I buy them.  I collect strikers made of different striker woods from different makers.  Some woods aren’t that great. Plus I enjoy connecting with the person that made them, if they choose to reciprocate.  I generally aggravate them enough until we begin messaging and maybe even talking on the phone more.  That’s how I enjoy learning  about calls and calling. I do stop if I get the idea that I’m being a pest.  I’ll still buy their stuff though.  I spend a good bit of time thinking about how to display calls and strikers, just because I like looking at them.  I wish my wife had similar sentiments...  I use all my strikers and pots every year, although I obviously have my favorites.

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2021, 05:19:45 PM »
I know those rainy day calls sound much better with JHL, Stuckey, Townsand and many other makers strikers than they do with the production strikers...
And they’re nice and look nice too.  Each one looks and plays a little differently.  That’s why I buy them.  I collect strikers made of different striker woods from different makers.  Some woods aren’t that great. Plus I enjoy connecting with the person that made them, if they choose to reciprocate.  I generally aggravate them enough until we begin messaging and maybe even talking on the phone more.  That’s how I enjoy learning  about calls and calling. I do stop if I get the idea that I’m being a pest.  I’ll still buy their stuff though.  I spend a good bit of time thinking about how to display calls and strikers, just because I like looking at them.  I wish my wife had similar sentiments...  I use all my strikers and pots every year, although I obviously have my favorites.

I have Tulipwood from several makers, as well as Persimmon and am beginning to like black locust quite a bit. I try to display mine as well.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2021, 06:09:57 PM »
Personally I use a heavy dymondwood or JLH's Frogwood.  Laminated strikers just seem to bring out the BEST in this call.