OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Call blew my mind!  (Read 4589 times)

Offline Laloom83

Call blew my mind!
« on: March 01, 2021, 03:37:12 AM »
So if many of you are like me you probably own a ton of calls!  I love to buy them mostly because they’re beautiful like art pieces to me.  Anyways I had a buddy who’s cheap tell me about a primos call on eBay for $13.00. I was so skeptical that I bought one and did a YouTube review. It’s like my second YouTube video but it was so fun. Check it out below if you’d like.  Crazy how good this call sounded for $13 bucks.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g9o6ubPi1wo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
Re: Call blew my mind!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 06:59:05 AM »
Yep sounds good I have played that call at a local bass pro and agree it’s a bargain. You don’t have to pay a bunch of money to kill turkeys but that is what many of us choose to do lol.

Online bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 07:32:27 AM »
Well my secret is out.  This has been my GO TO call for many years.  I have struck and called in more birds to the gun with this call then ALL of my other calls combined.  All US turkey species respond to this call very well, with a Slam under it's belt.  I'm not sure what it is about this call but IT FLAT OUT WORKS!  It has an acrylic or plastic base but it resonates so well.  It usually comes with a hickory or birch laminate striker with both working well.  I have upgraded strikers and normally pair it with a JLH Frogwood or Dymondwood striker.  For $12-$15, this production call should not be overlooked. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 01:08:50 PM by bbcoach »

Offline Laloom83

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 08:49:01 AM »
Well my secret is out.  This has been my GO TO call for many years.  I have struck and called in more birds to the gun with this call then ALL of my other calls combined.  All US turkey species respond to this call very well, with a Slam under it's belt.  I'm not sure what it is about this call but IT FLAT OUT WORKS!  It has an acrylic or plastic base but it resonates so well.  It usually comes with a hickory or birch laminate striker with both working well.  I have upgraded strikers and normally pare it with a JLH Frogwood or Dymondwood striker.  For $12-$15, this production call should not be overlooked.
Call was unreal!  Only thing I would have changed is I would have liked for it to come with a lid/cover. But who can complain for $13 on amazon!!!

Offline johnnyk2000

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 10:40:42 AM »
I have had an Ol Betsey in the vest for a few years and have had birds respond I it when they do not respond to others. I like the Primos power crystal also. The power crystal is only about $20 also. I still use the cheap looking strikers that come with them.
Good luck this year

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 11:41:05 AM »
good sounding caller and nice review!

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 01:37:50 PM »
Idk boys call me odd but I’d never carry that. Never even heard a second note. Doesn’t even seem to break. What custom calls are you comparing it to? I’m glad you’re happy w it though just def not going in my vest

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 03:03:56 PM »
Glad you like the call.. but i will pass...

Online bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2021, 07:58:45 PM »
To each his own but I don't understand some of the logic stated.  Some don't like the notes, no rollover, doesn't break and some just wouldn't carry it.  Some people would spend hundreds of dollars for a CUSTOM call, that they like the sound of, has a perfect rollover with a perfect break, WON BEST IN SHOW and is carried and used everyday but couldn't and wouldn't call a turkey in, in 3 lifetimes.  I know this is ALL subjective but I BELIEVE we should TRUST in only ONE JUDGE.  I've seen what this call can and will do to that JUDGE.  This call isn't pretty and is cheap dollar wise but DOES WHAT IS WAS DESIGNED TO DO.  Bring the JUDGE to the end of your gun barrel.

Offline larry9988

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2021, 08:22:55 PM »
I don't have an OL' Betsy, but i do have a Hooks slate in the Battey style pot  ($27 shipping and all) that I hunt with,  while 11 custom slate calls by top builders sit in the call cabinet and collect dust. I need to have a slate call inventory reduction sell.

Offline BigSlam51

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2021, 08:32:25 PM »
Just goes to show that everyone has a different hen in their head.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2021, 02:51:29 AM »
To each his own but I don't understand some of the logic stated.  Some don't like the notes, no rollover, doesn't break and some just wouldn't carry it.  Some people would spend hundreds of dollars for a CUSTOM call, that they like the sound of, has a perfect rollover with a perfect break, WON BEST IN SHOW and is carried and used everyday but couldn't and wouldn't call a turkey in, in 3 lifetimes.  I know this is ALL subjective but I BELIEVE we should TRUST in only ONE JUDGE.  I've seen what this call can and will do to that JUDGE.  This call isn't pretty and is cheap dollar wise but DOES WHAT IS WAS DESIGNED TO DO.  Bring the JUDGE to the end of your gun barrel.

No one stated anything you mentioned in what they like as in high dollar, best in show, etc. Doesn’t even need a perfect break but it seems to have no break, no rollover. As far as judge?. How could we do that? Perhaps get a turkey to work and use two calls. That and another. Over time not one or two isolated instances if it comes to one and not the other you’d be right. One would be better. As of now you’re only theorizing. As a kid one year my buddy used a Quaker boy classic v lite mouth call. It was horrendous how he got it to sound.  That particular year I’ll admit, it seemed to work though. He couldn’t 2nd note the call, had no spacing between his notes, blended them all together. He was terrible but it worked that year. Applying you’re theory you may want to go get some and call like that? Anything can happen in limited instances. Small samplings mean nothing. Now as far as a call that’s “supposedly good” but can’t call a turkey in 3 lifetime, sounds kind of dramatic, but inform us which one that is so we aren’t so silly as to carry this useless paperweight everyday. Hate to say it youre sounding like you feel you need to defend the call. You don’t. Have at it. It’s a forum we can all have opinions and the right to use what we like. Do you really think out of all the things guys do to make themselves more successful they’d not pay 13 dollars if it was superior over something else? Think about that
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 03:13:18 AM by Bowguy »

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2021, 05:00:29 AM »
Everyone plays a call different. Maybe the lack of the break or rollover is because of the way it’s being played. He really didn’t condition the surface much.Maybe when bbcoach plays his he gets those in his calling he did state he switches strikers. I didn’t listen through the whole thing but know I liked the call but I have also played one in person also so I know what it sounds like when I played it.

Offline rodney gillikin

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2021, 06:12:16 AM »
if you like, hunt it that all that madders. Iv killed birds with my call and am happy with it. The main thing is to enjoy in. If someone get a call from me i try to do the best i can but there is always someone who says different. I like to help people when they get a call from me and see the process of what go's into a handmade call. i want something different and it work for me. If you dont like in it that ok too. but as a call maker it fun because you build something that can call a bird priceless!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 09:13:21 AM by rodney gillikin »
Rodney Gillikin @
Pure T Momicked game calls
Bettie NC
https://www.facebook.com/PureTMommickedGameCalls/

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2021, 06:24:40 AM »
Everyone plays a call different. Maybe the lack of the break or rollover is because of the way it’s being played. He really didn’t condition the surface much.Maybe when bbcoach plays his he gets those in his calling he did state he switches strikers. I didn’t listen through the whole thing but know I liked the call but I have also played one in person also so I know what it sounds like when I played it.

Person playing the call def makes a difference that’s true. There are calls I don’t like personally sound wise on video but I do like when running. Did I miss the op stating which calls he’s actually comparing to? Curious
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 06:37:28 AM by Bowguy »