OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Your very favorite turkey call of all time ...  (Read 18923 times)

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
Re: Your very favorite turkey call of all time ...
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2021, 10:06:31 AM »
Don’t hunt these anymore but I should. Lynch 101 and Ben Lee gobble box. My dad bought them both for me.

Ben had a Turkey seminar locally in the 80’s. I remember him gobbling on that box to this day.
He signed it for me.

I picked up one of those Lee boxes. It sounds awesome. Comparable to my Alabama Lynch which has a unique sound, all turkey....
“Solo hunter”

Offline TalknTurkey

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2021, 03:45:38 PM »
I’ve got a Twisted Sister I purchased from David back in 2013. It has called in more birds than any other call I own which has given me a lot of confidence in it. It’s still the first call out of my vest every season.

Offline wbyman

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2021, 04:48:15 PM »
My absolute favorite is my Grandfather’s handmade long box he made in the 40s. He was an amazing outdoorsman and passed when I was only 3 years old. It doesn’t sound like a turkey really today but to know he held this call in his hands...
I’ve said for years I would love to take it and his Model 12, I also have and give them a go.
No call means more to me!
(I need to learn how to post a picture)
"Control your destiny, or someone else will"

Offline Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2021, 07:28:43 PM »
Billy Buice Stabilized Buckeye Burl trumpet

Father's Day gift from my daughter in 2014. Her and my wife went to My Billy's house and she hand picked this trumpet. She liked the camo look of the wood. I've killed several birds with the trumpet, but it spends most of the time put up, not because I don't use it but because I am afraid I will break it.

Offline yelpy

• Double Beard
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2021, 09:27:39 PM »
How do you know you have a killer turkey call? Literally every time you see or talk to the guy who made it, he offers cash to buy it back. That is this call. It has aged perfectly, the range and sounds the box produces are amazing.

Ralph Snodgrass made only three of these long boxes with a maple and persimmon wood combination, the persimmon he cut himself from his property along with the help of an old turkey killer from WV. I was rummaging through Snozz's travel case and found this long box. More like this long box found me.

Been hunting this box for 20 years now. Couldn't begin to count the gobbles this box has struck, nor the turkeys called to the gun both spring and fall seasons for me and others. It it the ultimate calling machine and I know its rails and paddle as well as my own living room.

Me running it is one thing, but when Snodgrass gets his hands on it, this thing flat walks the talk. Hard part is making Ralph give it back LOL, he reaches for his money clip instead.

Great call right there. I believe Ralph has mentioned it in our conversations over the years.

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2021, 10:06:33 PM »
I heard it was only out on a lease, which expires the beginning of April

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2021, 10:43:40 PM »
True, April of 2521. Got some time with it yet.

:toothy12:
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2021, 11:17:26 PM »
True, April of 2521. Got some time with it yet.

:toothy12:

Well, guess I had better plant some persimmon seeds

Online jamo

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2021, 05:24:07 PM »
Supreme pure death pot

Offline greencop01

• Longbeard
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2021, 04:01:00 PM »
How do you know you have a killer turkey call? Literally every time you see or talk to the guy who made it, he offers cash to buy it back. That is this call. It has aged perfectly, the range and sounds the box produces are amazing.

Ralph Snodgrass made only three of these long boxes with a maple and persimmon wood combination, the persimmon he cut himself from his property along with the help of an old turkey killer from WV. I was rummaging through Snozz's travel case and found this long box. More like this long box found me.

Been hunting this box for 20 years now. Couldn't begin to count the gobbles this box has struck, nor the turkeys called to the gun both spring and fall seasons for me and others. It it the ultimate calling machine and I know its rails and paddle as well as my own living room.

Me running it is one thing, but when Snodgrass gets his hands on it, this thing flat walks the talk. Hard part is making Ralph give it back LOL, he reaches for his money clip instead.

Great call right there. I believe Ralph has mentioned it in our conversations over the years.

Nice call there by one of the best and a nice man too.He made me a cedar/butternut long box 6 or 7 years ago. My favorite is Al Hobart's Silver Fox I've had for a number of years now. Got one at a Sportsman Show from Al himself. Aluminum in an English Walnut pot. Called in many birds with it over the years.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Offline 12point

« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2021, 05:42:48 PM »
M.A.D Smokin Glass with acrylic striker its over 20 years old and glass came loss and Tad Brown told me what to do to bring it back to life.
Friend made me a double sided Glass and Slate pot call last year and it work fine on 7 long beards for me and friends. It likes a hickory sticker.
The call you have the most confidence in will work. Each one of us like different favorites.
Good luck, be safe and have fun.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2021, 05:57:00 PM »
M.A.D Smokin Glass with acrylic striker its over 20 years old and glass came loss and Tad Brown told me what to do to bring it back to life.
Friend made me a double sided Glass and Slate pot call last year and it work fine on 7 long beards for me and friends. It likes a hickory sticker.
The call you have the most confidence in will work. Each one of us like different favorites.
Good luck, be safe and have fun.

There is a Smoking Glass on EBay right now, at least there was yesterday....
“Solo hunter”

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2021, 06:31:37 PM »
A Brian Mero trumpet.  Snakewood and some white stuff mouthpiece.   Took my first trumpet gobbler with it.  In fact I've taken several Easterns and a Rio with it.  I'm thinking how fun it will be to slam with one call.  Need a trip to Florida and upper mid west soon.

Brian Mero by Steve  Torman, on Flickr

Another is a hand forged copper and coin trumpet from Charlie Trotter.  I didn't know Charlie when I started to bid on a Facebook auction a friend was running to make money for a funeral for one of his friends.  I knew that I wouldn't win the auction but low and behold I did.  This trumpet was part of my winnings and then I learned of the magic that Charlie puts into a trumpet.  Yes, I do hunt with this call.  It sounds too good to leave at home.

20190104_164718 by Steve  Torman, on Flickr
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 06:40:21 PM by West Augusta »
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Online gobblers roost

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2021, 06:37:11 PM »
Ralph snooze mid paddle is a killer .Mac/  old Chestnut.
There I said it.lol

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2021, 06:58:44 PM »
Ralph snozz mid paddle is a killer .Mac/  old Chestnut.
There I said it.lol

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

:agreed:

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

A close second place to the Snozz long box.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer