OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Nitro shells  (Read 4553 times)

Offline Fullfan

• Longbeard
Re: Nitro shells
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2021, 07:52:11 AM »

I will also give my .02 on the Nitro Shells.  Shot them from my 3" and 3.5" guns. I believe they were way over pressure. The 3.5" shells the brass would separate from the plastic after being fired in a Newer Winchester Sx-2, same results in my 11-87 super mag.  Never had the hull separation in the 3" shells, but the recoil was punishing even from a gas operated semi.   Still have 1/2 box of the 3.5 shells and will never shoot them again. 
Don't gobble at me...

Offline randywallace

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2021, 11:30:42 AM »
Never had a problem with Nitro shells and I have shot their loads in both hevi and tss, in 20 and 10 gauge.  I do believe they are over pressure and a friend that reloads sent one off confirming that.  At one time, they were the only game in town when it came to high performance shot shells you could purchase.  Now, there are many other players in the game and more arriving daily.  I wouldn't hesitate to shoot Nitro, but it is easier for me to get similar performance out of others now.

Offline DBuck90

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2021, 03:47:12 PM »
Understand, it’s not a one time event. It was about every time for at least the two guys that had the shells sticking in barrel, they stopped using em right quick, the fellow that blew the chokes out had it happen twice as well. Maybe that’s how you view one but to me that’s sorta at the time a consistent problem. Who paid for barrel on the gun either of the times? Not the fellow making the shells imo they guy was insane for trying it again. Best of luck
I understood that and I am not disputing it sucks to hear anyone had an issue that caused a major problem to their gun because of bad ammo and that’s the other thing you don’t know it’s hot till you shoot it

Offline mowens8386

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2022, 09:18:44 AM »
I’ve been running the 1 5/8 #9 for a few years and haven’t had any issues out of an 870 20 gauge and a M2. Running a Jeb’s in one and a Sumtoy in the other and awesome patterns.