OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Gobblers  (Read 1330 times)

Offline rifleman

Gobblers
« on: February 26, 2021, 03:16:28 PM »
Today as I finished cleaning the car and glanced over into the fields of a farm I have been hunting for a couple years.  There were black spots all over the field so I got my binoculars and had a closer look.  There were 22 bearded gobblers at about 300 yds.  They must disperse like crazy or go underground in April-May.  Last year while hunting there I may have seen 4 longboards and maybe 6 or so jakes and minimal gobbling.  There are farms all around here with just patches of woods on them much like where I hunt and I suspect they must go to them.  I can only hunt the one farm but seldom hear turkeys on adjoining property and no shooting on those properties.  These things are amazing.  Good sight to see though. 

Offline Bern_pine

Re: Gobblers
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 03:00:13 PM »
I have the same problems on a place I have access to. Deer season there are longbeards everywhere but as soon as season comes around they vanish into hibernation.

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
Re: Gobblers
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 07:23:36 PM »
There is winter habitat and there is spring/summer habitat.  The hens know the difference and the gobblers will be with them.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game