OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Back up legal loads?  (Read 4334 times)

Offline Dtrkyman

• Double Beard
Back up legal loads?
« on: February 25, 2021, 11:54:00 AM »
I shoot hand load tss 9s, where not legal I have a couple hevi shot 7s left over, I have not patterned any of the other stuff beside my TSS loads.

Just curious as to what can be expected from Hevi mag Blends, Long beards and Hevi 7s.

I know the standard Winchester turkey loads are marginal at best at 35 yards and I am not interested in loading any TSS in 7 as I think only one state I hunted last year that 9s were not legal.

Offline 2eagles

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Back up legal loads?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 04:49:06 PM »
Can’t use 9’s in Iowa so the best I’ve found for me is Hevi 13 7’s. I just looked at a couple of stores, but they’re out of stock. Glad I have plenty. I did buy a couple boxes of Magnum Blend because they were on sale with rebate.

Offline Dtrkyman

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 10:38:35 PM »
I think I have two Hevi shot 7s left and that is why I was asking. Was not impressed with the mag blends either.

Of course I always joke about 99 percent of the birds I kill are dove load range!  But you know as soon as you chamber a crappy patterning load a bird will hang at 40 no doubt!

Offline Fdept56

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 11:49:37 PM »
Not suggesting anyone should do it, but if you’re hand loading and accidentally put some 9s in a hull that you had previously written 7 on then how would anyone ever know?

Offline Turkeyfever

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 06:36:36 AM »
I don't know if you can find any but the Federal HVW #7 was a great turkey shell and what I used before TSS. I picked up some longbeards in #5 and 6 during all this ammo disaster just to have on standby. I was very impressed with them. I really liked the 6 shot but both pattern really well with my red dots. I wouldn't have to adjust anything to hunt with them. I shot out to 40 yards

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 07:05:06 AM »
I bought a pound of 7.5s to load for my trip to NE.  Was no more expensive than if I bought so shells that were 7.5s and I still have the comfort that I loaded them.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 09:40:52 PM »
Were I to need backup shells in case my hand loaded #9's were not legal I would use LB's # 4 or 5. They have served me well and I only need one more Florida bird using LB to complete a second slam and all were killed at 40 or less yards. I have found LB's pattern well in my TC Encore 20g.

Now I have read various posts where LB's were inconsistant but I have never had this experience and I only use what works!

Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 09:48:30 PM »
Not suggesting anyone should do it, but if you’re hand loading and accidentally put some 9s in a hull that you had previously written 7 on then how would anyone ever know?

If you not suggesting it why did you post it on a forum?

Also I must comment that "accidentally" loading #9 shot in a hull labeled for another weight is morally corrupt and anyone doing so generaly indicates an individual that is predisposed to violate other game laws. My opinion!

Offline Fdept56

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2021, 10:06:53 PM »

Also I must comment that "accidentally" loading #9 shot in a hull labeled for another weight is morally corrupt and anyone doing so generaly indicates an individual that is predisposed to violate other game laws. My opinion!
I’ve never hunted in a state that didn’t allow the shot I was shooting and I would most likely bring the correct shell with me if I ever did, but if suggesting someone shoot a turkey with “too small” of shot makes me morally corrupt then I suppose I am.

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2021, 10:10:11 PM »
I sure hope nobody breaks the speed limit driving to their spot on opening day

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2021, 11:35:44 PM »

I’ve never hunted in a state that didn’t allow the shot I was shooting and I would most likely bring the correct shell with me if I ever did, but if suggesting someone shoot a turkey with “too small” of shot makes me morally corrupt then I suppose I am.
Sugesting someone violate game laws in what ever juistriction they are hunting is an insult to all the hunters that do play fairly. I have had my say.

Offline turkey_slayer

• Longbeard
  • SouthWest VA
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2021, 01:59:08 PM »
I bought a pound of 7.5s to load for my trip to NE.  Was no more expensive than if I bought so shells that were 7.5s and I still have the comfort that I loaded them.
Where did you buy 7.5 shot?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2021, 02:30:46 PM »

Thats apples to oranges there, sport.  Putting a little bit more pressure on the accelerator just isn't the same as willfully violating a game law.  Now c'mon.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2021, 04:45:08 PM »

Thats apples to oranges there, sport.  Putting a little bit more pressure on the accelerator just isn't the same as willfully violating a game law.  Now c'mon.

Well sport, thats your opinion and your entitled to it, but don't tell me how I'm supposed to voice mine.

somebody speeding and putting other drivers and pedestrians at risk would be a little more serious than somebody putting #9 shot in a shell. So your right, it's not apples to apples, speeding would be a more serious law to break, IMO

I'm all for game laws and traffic laws, I've never put different size shot in a shell, I have sped.

Now come on man

Offline turkeykiller41

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2021, 08:30:34 PM »
Sometimes stupid laws are made to be broken.