turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New Turkey hunter in NJ Z7

Started by OutdoorDanny, February 26, 2021, 07:43:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OutdoorDanny

So being someone who loves to be outdoors and have been fishing (saltwater) for many years.
I decided to take up hunting this year. Picked up a Stoeger M3500 with a 28".

Just won my Lottery for Z7 NJ.
Any advice for me besides scouting which I will start soon.

As far as gun, I am going to stay with the Stoeger turkey/full Choke for now. Has anyone patterned a M3500 with the factory choke?

Thanks in Advance.

Bowguy

Welcome brother. I've never patterned that gun. Sure someone will chime in that has. Look to the patterning boards, realize probably more pictures are typically w turkey chokes just because of where guys are in life. We all start somewhere. I'd start w a lead plated load that throws even forgivable patterns. Stay within effective range. Don't worry bout max range. Worry bout stacking your odds.
The birds in area are gobbling. Hey don't post exactly what/where you see anything. Youll attract company.  Drive around first light and audibly find them. That's your first step. Locate the bigger flocks. As many as possible in your area. Word of warning. The real obvious low hanging fruit will get worked over pretty quick. Don't concentrate on them too much. Look at all the boards. You'd be amazed how much knowledge is here and is already available to see

EZ

Never patterned a Stoeger factory turkey/full, but I can tell you that my turkey gun for decades has been a fixed full choke 870. The more open chokes (usually) like the heavier loads, like 2 oz. Try several to see what gives you a nice even pattern. I think you'll be happy.

Paulmyr

I shoot a stoeger 3500 with stock choke and copper plated lead. Think I may  have patterned the gun once to make sure it was centered not for shot count. I like to let get them within 40 yds.
Most any gun/ choke combo will work if your patient enough and let them get close. I'm mostly a woods hunter. The need for me to reach out 70yds doesn't come into play very often. For me If they don't come within 50yds they walk.
Before that it was a Rem 1187 with standard full choke and it performed fine. 50yds with that set up is pushing it a little to far but et him get under 40 and its a dead bird.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Bowguy

Fellows the forum rules are not to speak of shots beyond 40 yards. I'm sure you didn't know that. Just FYI

Paulmyr

Quote from: Bowguy on February 28, 2021, 02:30:22 PM
Fellows the forum rules are not to speak of shots beyond 40 yards. I'm sure you didn't know that. Just FYI
Still looking but have only found 1 rule. Be nice in the General forum. You'll have to enlighten me as to where I can find said rule.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.