turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pray for folks in Joplin, MO

Started by lightsoutcalls, May 23, 2011, 10:18:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

If you have seen the news last night or this AM, you know that Joplin, MO was the latest area to be devastated by a tornado.  This kind of has me in a funk this morning, as I was just there about 3 weeks ago.  The pictures show total destruction of homes, a hospital, mangled vehicles.  Initial reports show 89 lives lost, which will obviously grow in the days ahead. 
Please keep the folks of Joplin in your prayers.

Most of us have probably given some thought to such widespread "natural disasters" as have been experienced so far this year.  Many of us have probably questioned if God is trying to tell us something or if this is some sort of judgment.  Here is what I take away from it.  God is sovereign, He can do as He chooses.  Our understanding of His will is not a pre-requisite for His actions.  I look at the power of the raging waters that can wash away things made by human hands and change the course of rivers and streams, then know that all of these are under the control of God's hand.  I see pictures of trucks wrapped around trees, concrete blocks blown through the door of a truck, houses leveled and floors ripped from a hospital and recognize the force and power required to do such things.  I am humbled to know that such great force is but a hint of the power of a mighty God. 
What is the appropriate response?  What should we say to those effected by such "natural disasters"?  You know the questions that swirl through the minds of those effected.  How could a loving God....?  Why would He.....?  Again, it is not ours to understand the mind of God.  It is ours to recognize the power at His hands and to try to develop a better understanding the concept of His sovereignty.  We are to be compassionate, humbled and thankful for the blessings He has given us in daily life.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

ILIKEHEVI-13

That pretty much looks like a F5 to me from the destruction I have seen so far.  Trees look like they were just completely chopped off about 20 feet on up.  Death toll was 90 this morning when I left for work.  Prayers sent to those in this area and to those that have family there.  

mmims

Not an "Act of God"...It was a act of nature that happens. Horrible for thse affected, but God's heart grieves more than anyone's.

Mike

turkey slayer

Quote from: mmims on May 23, 2011, 12:12:37 PM
Not an "Act of God"...It was a act of nature that happens. Horrible for thse affected, but God's heart grieves more than anyone's.

Mike
I agree it was nature at its worst! Prayers sent :jesus-cross:

RustySap

pappy

I think of all the natural disastors we have had in Missouri during the past five years, and it is scary to think that the worst is yet to come. Watch Therefore and Be Ye Ready ... is the best solution to our dilemas. Prayer and faith, keeping our eye on the prize and our hearts set towards those in need. Great writing Wendell , thanks for reminding us, pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well they did finally clarify this to be and EF-5 tornado.  There is a 123 dead and still more missing.  One woman that saw it and survived said it was the ugliest thing she ever had seen.  Another woman said if you survived this from being in its path you were very lucky.   

lightsoutcalls

I would have to disagree with the lady you mentioned in being lucky to have survived.  Many folks there recognize that they were not lucky, but purposely spared by God.  This isn't to say that those who weren't spared were "targeted" by God.  I don't pretent to know the heart of God when it comes to such disasters.  I have questions just like the families of those who died or are still missing.  I do recognize that it is not my place to understand the fullness of the reasoning of God.  In short, our human brains could not comprehend the fullness of the mind of God. 
I have read reports of people turning to God through this situation.  This is the same report that has been given in situations of natural disaster around the world.  People find themselves complteley emptied emotionally.  Everything that was "routine" just a week ago is completely gone.  Things that were the focus of a person's attention can suddenly seem meaningless.  When your home no longer exists, when your place of employment no longer exists, when that fancy boat or camper or motorcycle that you loved to brag about is suddenly gone, when you don't know where your family members are or if they are alive - suddenly a person is forced to re-evaluate priorities.  Suddenly their busy schedule no longer takes on the same importance.  When your world is rocked to the core, you are placed in a situation where you have to examine what is truly at your core. 
Some would think it crazy for a 40 some year old man to sit at work and cry for people he doesn't even know...   anyway... I pray that God will open hearts to His healing.  I pray that He would open hearts to serve these people and to help them know that He cares and people care about them in their time of need.  I don't mean to overlook the other folks suffering across the country or minimize the daily challenges other folks face. 
God Bless,
Wendell
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well I sure for one  don't try to analyze all of this and I for sure don't have the asnwers.  I don't thinkanyone does.  But one thing I do know is God allowed it to happen or it wouldn't have.  That's all I know.  I don't think this was an act of God.  I think it just happened becasue the conditions were perfect.  It's just a reminder that we are really powerless to the awesome powers of nature. 

Roostem33

My prayers are with all the people effected by this tragic act of nature. :cross2:
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)