OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Old fart, new sights  (Read 3145 times)

Offline cknpro1

Old fart, new sights
« on: February 21, 2021, 09:33:20 AM »
So I’m considering some kind of sighting system for the old 870 turkey killer. I’ve always used conventional truglo bead sights and killed a mess of birds with them. But now, being the seeker of new things that I am, I am thinking reflex, but being a newbie to the concept, not keen on spending $300+ for “quality” just yet. Besides, that would be the equivalent of a $10 horse and a $40 saddle.   I have the ability to drill/tap the receiver myself. Or would rib mount be better? Not real keen on the “Speedmount” by Burris, but it might suffice for a try. Does it accept other sights? 870 version is unfindable right now anyway it seems.

Next question is what are some more reasonably priced options of reflexes that I could get my feet wet with? Like in the $100 range. I picked up a Browning in a local shop the other day and it was projecting three images. I’m sure it was faulty and the shop is sending it back, but they only had one.
I also have a Bushnell red dot that can be mounted low on a picatiny, but not sure if I’d like the smaller field of view surrounded by lots of metal for turkey.

What advice for an old fart trying new things?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
Re: Old fart, new sights
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 10:25:01 AM »
Welcome. There are lots of guys on here that have more knowledge than me on this. I used to shoot open sites, ghost rings, rifled sights, the whole gamete. I now shoot scopes on 2 guns, and red dots on my others. I have rail mounted red dots, and vent rib mounted red dots. Here is my analogy on them. The vent rib mount by Meadow Creek is a quick, inexpensive way to mount a red dot on your rib. Unlike a drilled and tapped rail on the rear part of the receiver, it mounts more forward. I thought I would not like it, but here are the positives. First, it sits real low, in essence right on the rib. Keeps your head right on plane. No need for any cheek piece on the stock. Second, and most beneficial, you can see right around the red dot when it is more forward on the gun. So when that gobbler is coming in through the brush, your field of view is fantastic, then once you decide to take the shot, your head is right on him. The 3 moa, 6moa, and 8 moa dots are what I have. The 8 being the largest dot. Dot size is a matter of preference, they all work. The brightness settings allow you to change the contrast of the red dot depending on the woods brightness. The Burris Fast Fire 3 automatically adjusts this brightness setting as daylight increases, or decreases. There are many Red Dots to chose from depending on budget. As far as scopes go, I like low power, 1x5 with wide Field of view at 40 yards and in. Like I said, I use both scopes and red dots. I love them both. Hope this helps you a bit, I am sure our forum will add much more info for you. Best of luck to you...
“Solo hunter”

Offline cknpro1

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 10:52:06 AM »
@Tom07 - I looked at the rib mount and I was concerned about the distance from the eye- good to know that is not an issue. I can appreciate your explanation of a fuller field of view. That was one reason I was against the Speedmount, as it is very close to the eye. I’ve also got a Sightron 4x fixed compact with long eye-relief I’d considered trying, but the 4x gave me some pause. It’s also about the best .22LR scope I have and it sings atop my 10-22.

I was looking this morning at the Bushnell reflex for $150ish. They typically have good mid-range stuff.

What about battery life - switching on/off?  I’m sure it’s easy to remember to click it when you get ready, but I’d probably forget to click it back off. First thing that would happen is I’d have Ol’ Tom out there with a dead battery... I guess that’s why folks opt for the motion activated ones.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 05:13:08 PM »
@Tom07 - I looked at the rib mount and I was concerned about the distance from the eye- good to know that is not an issue. I can appreciate your explanation of a fuller field of view. That was one reason I was against the Speedmount, as it is very close to the eye. I’ve also got a Sightron 4x fixed compact with long eye-relief I’d considered trying, but the 4x gave me some pause. It’s also about the best .22LR scope I have and it sings atop my 10-22.

I was looking this morning at the Bushnell reflex for $150ish. They typically have good mid-range stuff.

What about battery life - switching on/off?  I’m sure it’s easy to remember to click it when you get ready, but I’d probably forget to click it back off. First thing that would happen is I’d have Ol’ Tom out there with a dead battery... I guess that’s why folks opt for the motion activated ones.

The battery life on all these are not an issue. I use good Duracell’s, and I change them every season. No issue there. I take them out off season. Take a look at them, you will not be disappointed. If you have any other questions, feel free to message me. I will help you with whatever you need...Tom
“Solo hunter”

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 09:31:44 AM »
 :morning:
I have red dots and scopes on my guns and truthfully don’t know which I like better! The red dot let’s you hunt with both eyes open so excellent vision happens, where the scope means closing one eye unless you have a true one power scope. :camohat:
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Which Gun

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 07:25:54 PM »
  I’ve drilled and tapped my own and added a mount. I put the red dot as far toward as possible to cut down on how much barrel shows. Cutting it on isn’t a big deal I usually cut it on when I get him responding. Cutting it off usually gets me especially if I get him. But batteries last awhile.

Offline Tail Feathers

• Limbhanger
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 10:57:29 PM »
That tube style Bushnell will allow you to shoot with both eyes open. Try it, I like them.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2021, 05:57:42 AM »
I have been turkey hunting with a scope for the last 25+ years and here's what I have learned, I will always have a scope on my turkey guns. Here are a few of those reasons, I hunt up close inside of 20 yards and with a tight choke tube it doesn't take much to miss a bird, with the scope I know I am on, I call it "The Circle of Death" (pic added). Make easy adjustment for POA/POI,  I have a "powered" scope 1.75-4x32 Bushnell with the Circle-X Reticle and in the timber it aides in "seeing" the bird in the fauna especially later seasons when it gets thick. I have also done a lot of youth hunts, learn to hunts and hunts with newbies and the scope gives them an easy POA.

MK M GOBL

Offline lunghit

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2021, 08:07:58 AM »
MK do you prefer the scope over a red dot or either or? I never used an actual scope for turkey but love the red dots.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2021, 08:43:33 AM »
MK do you prefer the scope over a red dot or either or? I never used an actual scope for turkey but love the red dots.

I have had 1 experience with a red dot and did not go well, now this is about 15 years ago and they have changed a lot since then. I had borrowed a buddy one of my guns for his kid to use and then another one went out to another friend. So guy #3 wants to go and have me call for him, at this time we had a bunch of smaller zones to buy tags in and they were available, I don't have gun... So I borrow a gun from another friend and he has a red dot on it, no problem, it will work. So comes to hunt time and we get to working a pair of toms in, Once they started I turned the red dot on, I kept working them by the time they get to us, I get the gun up and so does buddy, we are going to do the 1,2,3 boom and when I get on him Red Dot battery is dead, no dot... Well i can see the bead in the sight and get on his neck, we pull the triggers and buddy just flops his, mine stands there like what happened and then turns and is gone... No so good, figured out later by shooting through the red dot I had raised the barrel tip so high so I could see the bead I shot way high.

I know these sights have improved and in most cases the battery is not much of a concern anymore, but I can say in the last 25+ years I have had zero issues with my scope. There's more pluses to a scope as well  :icon_thumright:

MK M GOBL

Offline lunghit

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2021, 04:54:35 AM »
Yea that would turn me off for sure but like you said I do believe they come a long way since then. I still have the original battery that came with my Aimpoint in 2017. I have a spare and will probably switch them out this year just to be on the safe side. I will say it must be nice not worrying about electronics though. It's always on the back of my mind if the sight survived the last heavy recoil of a turkey round. Or if it's raining getting the cover out and keeping it protected is just one more thing I have to do in the woods.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Offline cknpro1

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2021, 07:24:36 AM »
@MK M GOBL - how often do you dial up your scope to higher magnifications?

I too have seriously considered a scope over other alternatives. You get the higher level of accuracy yet still have most of the utility of basic sight system, i.e. no electronics/batteries to crap out on you. I was thinking of going one step further into simplicity and using a 4x fixed. They are often very compact as well. With some practice on some turkey head paper, I figure one could get pretty good at range estimation through the scope.

Thoughts?

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2021, 07:44:07 AM »

I too have seriously considered a scope over other alternatives. You get the higher level of accuracy yet still have most of the utility of basic sight system, i.e. no electronics/batteries to crap out on you. I was thinking of going one step further into simplicity and using a 4x fixed. They are often very compact as well. With some practice on some turkey head paper, I figure one could get pretty good at range estimation through the scope.

Thoughts?

My scope is "set" to match the range, what I mean by this is I took my turkey head target, patterned the gun and then by adjusting the power ring you are adjusting the size of the circle you see in the scope, once that birds head/neck are larger than the ring he's within range, this is how that scope was designed to do, I have it marked, Now I have used it to kill coyotes and can same thing by "chest" size and works same on whitetail (I don't use for deer myself, .280 take care of that).

I make no Power Adjustments once you have it set.

MK M GOBL

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2021, 08:10:22 AM »

Thoughts?

I’ve found that a 2 or 2.5 pwr scope is perfect for my needs...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2021, 07:18:38 AM »
  I’ve drilled and tapped my own and added a mount. I put the red dot as far toward as possible to cut down on how much barrel shows. Cutting it on isn’t a big deal I usually cut it on when I get him responding. Cutting it off usually gets me especially if I get him. But batteries last awhile.

:morning:
May I see a pic of yer set up? Thx! :camohat:
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life