OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Apex ammunition

Started by Missouri hunter, April 02, 2021, 07:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Missouri hunter

So I was one of the guys that said I would "never" shoot TSS. I guess at the time I forgot that you should never say never... at least about some things. Lead turkey loads have done just fine for me in the past, mostly number 5 shot in the federal Magshok line. When that went away I've played around with lead loads and different chokes in my NWTF 1300 for awhile. Got great loads with Long Beads from Winchester but they were almost too tight and had some inconsistencies for me. The last couple years I've shot the new Grand Slam ammo in 5s and 6s. They have done ok but I always wanted a bit more at 35-40yds just for extra confidence. I shoot most of my turkeys under 35 anyway and would never suggest shooting beyond 40yd anyway.
Then I bought a CZ 1012, long story short can't get aftermarket chokes for it unless you go custom. So I bought some apex 9s and tried them through a full choke. Man was I impressed! 215 in the ten inch circle at 40yd and a very forgiving pattern. Killed a couple southern birds with already this season. Today I ran the same apex load through my 1300 with an x-full choke and it put up 249 in the ten with yet a still pretty forgiving pattern in close. I think I'm sold on tss through a more open choke for a wider pattern and more forgiving pattern out to 40yd. Thanks for reading!
Sterling Custom Calls, making handcrafted box and trough calls.

owlhoot

Try comp-n-choke maybe
Hit Sumtoy up on here if you like. He is custom but competitive.

rakkin6

This is from my Mossberg 535 and 835. Top one is my 835 with .675 Indian Creek 3" #9. Bottom is from my 535 with an Indian Creek .660 with the same load, both at 40 yards. This is my first time using TSS also. It is opening morning and I am sitting in my truck getting ready to walk into the woods in about 35 minutes. adjusted to the left a little after this shot and was good to go. 

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Missouri hunter

Quote from: rakkin6 on April 03, 2021, 05:47:37 AM
This is from my Mossberg 535 and 835. Top one is my 835 with .675 Indian Creek 3" #9. Bottom is from my 535 with an Indian Creek .660 with the same load, both at 40 yards. This is my first time using TSS also. It is opening morning and I am sitting in my truck getting ready to walk into the woods in about 35 minutes. adjusted to the left a little after this shot and was good to go. 

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Looks like you're good to go! Good luck this morning! I'm assuming your in Tennessee, I know they open today.
Sterling Custom Calls, making handcrafted box and trough calls.