OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: B&P  (Read 2471 times)

Offline btomlin

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
B&P
« on: February 18, 2021, 09:31:55 AM »
Has anyone sent any of the B&P turkey loads down range?  I was on Rogers site last night and saw they had 4,5,6 in stock.  It appears they contain nickel plated shot.  I remember shooting Activs when I started years ago in my 20 and they were producers with the nickel shot.  I was just curious if anyone had any good/bad experience.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
Re: B&P
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 09:41:06 AM »
Has anyone sent any of the B&P turkey loads down range?  I was on Rogers site last night and saw they had 4,5,6 in stock.  It appears they contain nickel plated shot.  I remember shooting Activs when I started years ago in my 20 and they were producers with the nickel shot.  I was just curious if anyone had any good/bad experience.

I sure wish those Activ’s were still available. I used to shoot their 12 gauge nickle 5’s, 3 inch shell with 2 1/4 oz of shot. Devastating out of a .660 Gobblin Thunder tube. They had a wad that in my opinion was the predecessor to the flight control wad Federal uses. I only have 4 shells left. All red shell, Red Box Activ Penetrator. Kent bought Activ I heard. They have a TSS 15 gram load called Penetrator, I have no info on. Sorry to go off thread, will look up those B&P....thanks
“Solo hunter”

Offline btomlin

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 10:47:17 AM »

I sure wish those Activ’s were still available. I used to shoot their 12 gauge nickle 5’s, 3 inch shell with 2 1/4 oz of shot. Devastating out of a .660 Gobblin Thunder tube. They had a wad that in my opinion was the predecessor to the flight control wad Federal uses. I only have 4 shells left. All red shell, Red Box Activ Penetrator. Kent bought Activ I heard. They have a TSS 15 gram load called Penetrator, I have no info on. Sorry to go off thread, will look up those B&P....thanks

I always thought they had the nicest lookin' hull.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 10:58:03 AM »
Yes, clean and simple. I would buy a case of them if I could.......
“Solo hunter”

Offline btomlin

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 04:52:03 PM »
I got a box of the B&P turkey loads.  I needed another $7 for free shipping from Rogers so I tossed em in my "cart".

I will say the 1st thing I noticed was the "weird box".  The shells are single stacked vs double stacked like every other box of turkey loads I've purchased....those nutty Italians(B&P is an Italian co).  LOL.

The hulls are maroon and I can't tell if they are buffered or not.

Once the snow melts, I will fire a couple and let you know the results.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 05:15:07 PM »
Love to see the results...
“Solo hunter”

Offline Bald Randy

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2021, 03:58:12 PM »
I just patterned B&P turkey loads - 12 gauge 3" 2oz. #5 and 3" 2oz. #6 - through an Ithaca factory turkey choke (.675").  I bought them because, like Tom007, I found those old Activ nickle plated 5's to pattern beautifully and hoped the B&P's would do so as well.  I also patterned 12 gauge Winchester Long Beard XR 3" 1 7/8 oz. #5's for comparison.

At 25 yards, the B&P #5's performed the same as the Long Beards, each with 70 plus pellets - evenly spaced around the point of aim - in the head and neck.  Surprisingly, the B&P #6's had no more hits than the #5's.

At 30 yards, the B&P #5's had 35 hits in the head and neck, and the Long Beards had 50 plus hits in a tighter pattern.

In my gun, the B&P shells patterned better than any copper plated loads that I have used in the past, except for the Long Beards.  At about $1 per round, I find these shells to be the equal of the old Activ Penetrators in performance and value.  I'm really glad that B&P came out with them.

Offline b wilt

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2021, 04:09:55 PM »
I have them in #5's and #6's, they do well out of my 1187 12 Gauge and that weird box will go in your back pocket like a wallet. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2021, 04:16:58 PM »
Looks like a quality made shell by it's appearance. Thanks for the info shared by the posters.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2021, 04:57:57 PM »
I just patterned B&P turkey loads - 12 gauge 3" 2oz. #5 and 3" 2oz. #6 - through an Ithaca factory turkey choke (.675").  I bought them because, like Tom007, I found those old Activ nickle plated 5's to pattern beautifully and hoped the B&P's would do so as well.  I also patterned 12 gauge Winchester Long Beard XR 3" 1 7/8 oz. #5's for comparison.

At 25 yards, the B&P #5's performed the same as the Long Beards, each with 70 plus pellets - evenly spaced around the point of aim - in the head and neck.  Surprisingly, the B&P #6's had no more hits than the #5's.

At 30 yards, the B&P #5's had 35 hits in the head and neck, and the Long Beards had 50 plus hits in a tighter pattern.

In my gun, the B&P shells patterned better than any copper plated loads that I have used in the past, except for the Long Beards.  At about $1 per round, I find these shells to be the equal of the old Activ Penetrators in performance and value.  I'm really glad that B&P came out with them.

Thanks for the info my friend. I will check them out. Good luck this season....
“Solo hunter”

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2021, 07:42:32 PM »
Well, I can’t find any to purchase... :TrainWreck1:
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline Bald Randy

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2021, 01:54:21 AM »
A few weeks ago, I got my #5's at Rogers Sporting Goods and then found #6's at Natchez Shooting Supplies.  They are out of stock now and I don't know if they will restock for this season.  It might be worth a call to them and find out.

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2021, 07:52:12 AM »
 :morning:
Thanks! checked them both and nadda... :camohat:
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline btomlin

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2021, 09:39:30 AM »
Thanks for posting results!  Every day that I can do some testing, the stupid wind is cranking!  I still plan to test them out and will post results, but sounds like a good economy load.  I know B&P pheasant loads are thumpers. 

Offline btomlin

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2021, 07:56:12 PM »
I was able to do some testing today with my Carlson .665 choked gun.

The B&P 5s did not do anything special.  Out of my setup, they were a marginal 40yrd round.  I had better results with Remington nitro 5s and have a good secondary round to try this Spring.  My “tried and true” LB 6s were devastating as usual.