OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: more diaphragm calls to try  (Read 2848 times)

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
more diaphragm calls to try
« on: February 17, 2021, 05:21:43 PM »
I know you guys probably get tired of posts like these, but I get obsessed with trying things and I like to be thorough.  I've decided I like practicing and using diaphragm call in addition to pot calls.   Based on what I've read on here I gathered calls from Hooks, Gooserbat, Sadler McGraw, Del Crow, perrytrails, and I have acquired 2 Gulvas Master's Choice calls.  I'm the guy that tries 50 calls and ends up settling on 2 or three.  I love some of the ones I've gotten from folks on this site and some of them are my "go-to" calls. Actually I'm fascinated by the difference in how each call sounds and how easy or hard it is for me to make certain sounds from each of them.  I want to try a few more, even though I'm quite satisfied with the ones I have.  The Prodigy line that Shane Simpson makes has some aggressive cuts in the latex that would seemingly allow them to sound and play differently.  I see where many folks recommend Houndstooth diaphragms.  I had a friend of mine recommend diaphragms from the Pinhoti Project.  I imagine most diaphragm makers calls sound similar with similar cuts and similar latex, at least to me they should.  If you were me, what other call brands and models would you try?  I tend to gravitate to custom call makers, but if Woodhaven or another larger company has something unique I may try it.
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
Re: more diaphragm calls to try
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 06:25:24 PM »
Unfortunately its a trail and error deal. I would suggest finding which "cut" you play the best and go from there. Eventually you will find some keepers.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 07:34:25 PM »
Unfortunately its a trail and error deal. I would suggest finding which "cut" you play the best and go from there. Eventually you will find some keepers.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I have some good keepers.  I just want to try more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline perrytrails

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 07:46:20 PM »
Mouth call are different. People have small, large pallets etc.

Everyone is different. It’s a lot on how you force air, use of your diaphragm, drop your jaw. A lot of thing can change that sound regardless of the cut.

A good example, Scott Ellis explains that there are two types of air. Air you blow, and air from your diaphragm. Diaphragm air will fog a mirror, because it comes from your lungs. It can be a much stronger air than air you blow.

That said you can learn to run one with either, but once you learn diaphragm air it opens more opportunities to your sound.

I have changed the way I run a call many times over the years.
Just my 2 cents.

I heard someone say it’s a musical instrument. Some will naturally take off, others will struggle. Takes time and practice for most of us. Good luck

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 09:22:58 AM »
Some of us can reach the point of "anality" where we are never quite satisfied with a call.  I call it the "search for the holy grail" of mouth calls.  Sounds like you are there, MG.   ;D

I was there myself for a long time,...and still am to a degree,...but the way I finally got away from spending waayyy too many dollars on mouth calls was to start making them myself.  From your description of where you are at, I would suggest that might be your best course of action.   
:icon_thumright:

Offline PharmHunter

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 09:29:35 AM »
Check out Rolling Thunder's new lines.  They have some fantastic calls in their new lineup.  I've been impressed and found a couple I love.  Think you can get 10% off your first order and free shipping right now too.

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 09:42:56 AM »
Check out Rolling Thunder's new lines.  They have some fantastic calls in their new lineup.  I've been impressed and found a couple I love.  Think you can get 10% off your first order and free shipping right now too.
Good to know, thanks!

Offline strut2

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 10:49:00 AM »
I recommend Honey Hole Game Calls. I don’t think you will be disappointed. If you have any questions feel free to message me. www.honeyholegamecalls.com

Offline albrubacker

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 11:51:34 AM »
 :agreed: :agreed:
Some of us can reach the point of "anality" where we are never quite satisfied with a call.  I call it the "search for the holy grail" of mouth calls.  Sounds like you are there, MG.   ;D

I was there myself for a long time,...and still am to a degree,...but the way I finally got away from spending waayyy too many dollars on mouth calls was to start making them myself.  From your description of where you are at, I would suggest that might be your best course of action.   
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Offline RaspyD

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Hunt with Perfection!
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 12:52:14 PM »
Jim Clay of Perfection Turkey Calls has been making mouth calls for nearly 50 years.  Most mouth calls today are made on a jig where each diaphragm is stretched to the same tension. Jim stretches each diaphragm individually to get a truly custom made mouth call.  It really does make a difference in the way the call responds to the caller using it when, for example, the bottom diaphragm is not stretched as tightly as the top.  He also makes a stacked frame call that is of a much lower profile than others on the market.  Give him a call and tell him what you are looking for in a mouth call and he can make it exactly how you want it.
Perfection Turkey Calls

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 03:32:01 PM »
Jim Clay of Perfection Turkey Calls has been making mouth calls for nearly 50 years.  Most mouth calls today are made on a jig where each diaphragm is stretched to the same tension. Jim stretches each diaphragm individually to get a truly custom made mouth call.  It really does make a difference in the way the call responds to the caller using it when, for example, the bottom diaphragm is not stretched as tightly as the top.  He also makes a stacked frame call that is of a much lower profile than others on the market.  Give him a call and tell him what you are looking for in a mouth call and he can make it exactly how you want it.
May do that.  I may also look into making my own after this season.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 04:38:25 PM »

This is how I stretch calls myself.  Honestly, I'm not sure if it is good or bad.  For those that make their own calls and have the leeway to experiment with stretches and cuts as they tune each call individually, I think it can be good.  However, stretching the reeds individually just adds another layer of "variables" to the call making process. 

Unless someone who stretches reeds has a method of tensioning each reed to a precise specification, every call made is going to be different and will most likely have different sound qualities.  Perhaps Jim Clay has developed a method of stretching individual reeds to precise consistency (using stacked-frames and using a tension meter on each reed would accomplish this, possibly),...I don't know.  However, if he hasn't and is stretching those individual reeds without using an instrument to achieve consistency, each call will most likely have variations in sound quality that can only be overcome by tuning the call to the individual user by modifying reed cuts. 

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2021, 05:42:20 PM »

I’m there.  I keep thinking something’s gonna sound perfect.  I think with enough practice I can make many of them sound damned near perfect for certain turkey sounds.

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2021, 12:12:02 AM »
I kinda gravitate towards a different cut every year. Last year I didn't even gravitate towards a cut and run gulvas style calls most of the time.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.