OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

870 build help

Started by Strutbuster98, February 17, 2021, 01:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strutbuster98

Is the trigger really that good? I never seemed to mind a heavy trigger on a shotgun but I like them light with no creep on my rifles for accuracy. I think my hornet setup for predators is 14 Oz and it's my favorite trigger yet. Does the trigger in the 870 improve your patterns or just make it a nice trigger to shoot?

A little update I had the gun drilled and tapped and put a Bushnell red dot on. My brother had one and I liked the fact it was small compact and simple. I ordered a stock and forend with the kryptek camo I'm waiting for it to be delivered yet. In the meantime I polished the barrel with the jb and kroil step by step its like a mirror now and painted the barrel and receiver with a backwoods camo paint job. So far I'm happy with the way its going I can't wait to start patterning it. What's the easiest way to sight a redot in?

Gobble!

Quote from: Strutbuster98 on February 24, 2021, 09:40:44 PM
Is the trigger really that good? I never seemed to mind a heavy trigger on a shotgun but I like them light with no creep on my rifles for accuracy. I think my hornet setup for predators is 14 Oz and it's my favorite trigger yet. Does the trigger in the 870 improve your patterns or just make it a nice trigger to shoot?

The creep on my stock trigger was disgusting. Timney eliminatated a lot of that. I also went with a lighter spring.

Strutbuster98

Finally got my build done after ordering my stock from optics planet February 2nd and never receiving I canceled and reordered a different stock from brownells and had it within the week.I haven't had time to shoot it yet but I'm happy with the redneck paint job.

captpete

The gun looks good!!!

This is how I sight in my red dot.. To sight in your red dot use trap loads. I start at 15-20 yards and get it zeroed. Then move to 40 yards and finish zeroing it. Then I use a turkey load to check to make sure the turkey load & trap load have the same POI at 40. If not I adjust the sight so the turkey load has the same POA/POI. All this is done using a gun rest and shooting at 36"X36" piece of paper.

There is also some really good info in the thread.  http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,40249.0.html

TrackeySauresRex

^^^ What he said.

Looks fantastic! Great job and good luck with her..
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

albrubacker

Looks great! I like the paint job.
Quote from: Strutbuster98 on March 31, 2021, 10:18:48 AM
Finally got my build done after ordering my stock from optics planet February 2nd and never receiving I canceled and reordered a different stock from brownells and had it within the week.I haven't had time to shoot it yet but I'm happy with the redneck paint job.
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott