OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: What cut?  (Read 1391 times)

Offline AppalachianHollers

• When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
What cut?
« on: February 16, 2021, 10:03:32 PM »
Ran a ghost cut last year, and frankly couldn’t get a good yelp sequence going. Just tree talk and kee kees (not so useful). Wondering what cut to try next a 2-2.5 reed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ranman

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: What cut?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 12:08:03 AM »
I like a combo cut. My go to has been the Persuader by Hooks.

Offline Chris Downs

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 02:19:43 AM »
My favorite for all around calling is a batwing. I also use a ghost and combo. This season I'm going back to using a good old fashioned cutter style cut too.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 09:37:02 AM »
For me, the cut isn't as important as the sounds I can produce on it.  Right now, I am on a "clipped-wing V-cut kick" but I always end up running whatever I think sounds the best when I go hunting.  I would say that generally it turns out to be some sort of modified V-cut or a combo, although I am not averse to experimenting with completely off-brand cuts with a call until I hit on something I am happy with. 

When hunting, I carry an assortment of mouth calls with different pitches and tones.  I will generally stick with the ones that I think sound the best, but have found over the years that what I think sounds the best and what a particular gobbler thinks sounds the best are not necessarily the same.   :icon_thumright:

Offline albrubacker

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 11:35:20 AM »
I like a combo cut. My go to has been the Persuader by Hooks.
One of my favorites!
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott