OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What can I realistically expect from my 10GA

Started by ElkTurkMan, May 22, 2011, 07:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElkTurkMan

Guys I bought an Sp-10 back in the late 90's for goose hunting.  I  have always wanted to see what it could do as a turkey rig.  I am going to spend the money and get a good choke and buy some shells and do some tinkering over the long hot summer.  What I am hoping for out of this gun is something that can increase my range, or be my field gun.  I'm currently hunting with a 12GA and 45 yards is my max.  I am hoping I can come up with the right Shell/choke combo to get 60-65 yards out of my ten.  My 12 will always be my main squeeze, and I would only tote the ten when I am hunting fields or areas where I don't intend to do a lot of moving and I can get some longer shots.  My question is, is it unrealistic for me to expect to get 60-65 yards out of this gun?  Also any recommendations you guys have on chokes and shells would be great.  I am leaning towards a  Rhino choke, and maybe purchasing some Nitro's, but I want to do my home work before a spend potentially a couple of hundred bucks.  This gun has a 26 inch barre ll.  I have already ordered a Square mount for it and have a tru glo red dot on the way as well for this gun.  Anyway guys any tips or advice would be great.   Thanks in advance.    

frank1969

well first were did you order the mount b sq dont make them anymore  and about maken lour sp a 60 to 65 yard gun y. i have been usen a sp for about 20 years and the longedt shot i ever took on a tom was 50 yards i killed it dead but now i would never do that agan but i shoot lead #5 win xx mags and pattern great out to 50 with a old truglow and a bud of mine got all into that long range stuff rino with nitros it is in a sp and it shoots good and patterns good and my 8 dollar a box is just as good at 50 just try lead and u will c that you dont need to spend 80 bucks for 12 shells

wisconsinteacher

I have never messed with a 10ga but this year, I watched my buddy shoot a bird at 53 steps and it did the job.  HeviShot said they are planning on coming out with a MagBlend load for the 10ga.  If this is true and you can hold a pattern out to 60, it will do the job as far as killing power.  Good luck.  I will be looking for a 10ga this summer and if I can find one for a steal, I am going to grab it.

jig pitcher

I shoot an SP-10.  I have two rhino chokes, .720 and .690.  I put T/C fiber optic adjustable rifle sights on it.  I shoot Nitros, #510, 4x5x7.  I have patterned on a turkey target and get pellets in vitals that would kill if there is sufficient energy to do so at 75 measured yds ( 7-9 in vertebrae and brain, 15 -20 in head and neck).  I dont think I would take that shot though. The longest shot I killed a turkey is 61 yds. So far, my sp-10 is 9 for 9.  Unless you handload or buy nitros, in my opinion,your wasting your time with a ten.  There are no other useful factory turkey loads out there.  It would be awesome if that would change.

jig pitcher

gobbler74

I second the statement on the point that if it weren't for handloads or hevi shot a 10 has no advantage over a 3.5" 12  other than getting to say "10"  ;D I carry both separately of course, and honestly doubt I'd carry the 10 if not for hevi shot. I love my setup on my bps 10..and its very dependable rig.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

ElkTurkMan

Thanks guys for all the comments.  I think I'm gonna try the Nitro 4x5x7, and the Rhino .720.  I talked with a couple of other guys on another board and this seems to be the recomendation for this gun.  Nitro even recommends this particular load for this gun on there web site.
Frank1969, I spoke to soon on the b-saddle for the SP-10.  I ordered it direct from B-square and got a order number and  receipt.  Well today they call me and apologize for there web site being not up to date, and long story short this is not availible.  So they credited my credit card, and were real apologetic.  I guess I'll just get some fiber optic sights, and put them on the rib.   I would go ahead and tap and mount a scope, but I would still like to use this gun for geese from time to time.   

Basser69

Hawken, I bought a B-square mount off the web about three or four months ago. If you run a google search, you can still find them. I think that I paid about $55 for mine. Good luck with it