only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

One Finished Up.

Started by M,Yingling, February 16, 2021, 11:02:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishr64

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Rzrbac on February 16, 2021, 06:52:29 PM
I'm not a big fan of Snakewood but that call is impressive. If I keep looking at it, I would probably become a fan.

For the comment about not if but when it cracks, does that mean it will crack at some point or it will crack while turning it. It would be a shame to know that thing will eventually crack.

That's really why I say I'm not a fan, it's expensive and from what I've read tends to crack. I would have a call made from some (trumpet likely) if I knew I wouldn't have to worry about it cracking.
Yes, I mean after turning. And that's not to say this pot will. Assuredly, Mike knows more about such things than I ever will. But trumpets in particular are prone to splitting. It's just a very volatile wood. I've actually got a snakewood trumpet back with a callmaker right now that split in two places over winter. As a rule of thumb, the things that make wood super pretty also make them super unstable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

callmakerman

Looks awesome Mike and a striker to match. Hope your keep this one for yourself.

M,Yingling

thanks .Again Guys

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on February 16, 2021, 07:10:09 PM
Quote from: Rzrbac on February 16, 2021, 06:52:29 PM
I'm not a big fan of Snakewood but that call is impressive. If I keep looking at it, I would probably become a fan.

For the comment about not if but when it cracks, does that mean it will crack at some point or it will crack while turning it. It would be a shame to know that thing will eventually crack.

That's really why I say I'm not a fan, it's expensive and from what I've read tends to crack. I would have a call made from some (trumpet likely) if I knew I wouldn't have to worry about it cracking.
Yes, I mean after turning. And that's not to say this pot will. Assuredly, Mike knows more about such things than I ever will. But trumpets in particular are prone to splitting. It's just a very volatile wood. I've actually got a snakewood trumpet back with a callmaker right now that split in two places over winter. As a rule of thumb, the things that make wood super pretty also make them super unstable.

Any wood is prone to cracking if not dry when turned   as for your trumpet it cracking could be a number of things may have got moister inside from running it maybe the drilled holes was not sealed good  ,, got remember them trumpets are pretty thin on side walls  ,,,  i got box calls and strikers and   made of snake wood  and their not sealed on under side of lid  or the tips of striker  over 10 years old not cracked  ,, just got remember not let them get wet  ,,,    as for turning  yes heat is a killer for snake wood while sanding cutting or drilling got go slow and stop when heats up ( dont let it heat up ) get it hot and can sit there watch hear it crack LOL  lots exotic woods out their like that they got oil in the wood  ,,,,

may first time messing with snake wood was for grunt call have drill 3/4in hole thur it well it got to hot watched that blank break right in 2 talk about wanting to cry lol  $80 blank turned to fire wood lol 
Lesson learned  that day lol now if i mess with snake wood i take the time to drill let sit ,,, cut round let sit ,,,all the while letting it sit nice dry warm place
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

TheBigSnood

Beautiful call Mike.  I'm a huge fan of your copper! 

Matt Fulkerson

Are you willing to step out of the boat as Peter did?  Think about it, he wouldn't have walked on water without stepping out of the boat!

B Rogers

Very nice. I love a copper call and that snakewood looks great. I carry a Gaboon ebony copper over glass in my vest.

wbyman

She's a thing of beauty! Gorgeous call.
"Control your destiny, or someone else will"

BTH

Wow!
Never even heard of snake wood until I got on this site God just shows off with a piece of wood like that
Phil 4:13