OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Wanting to try a trumpet  (Read 7113 times)

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
Re: Wanting to try a trumpet
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2021, 08:25:00 PM »
For the $$$ and just starting out id give Mr. Daryl Gibson a call. I got a trumpet from him last year and its really a good sounding call.  Not sure how it stacks up against some of the bigger names in trumpets but as a "beginner" myself it didnt take very long to become proficient with it. After a spring and fall season under my belt with my gibson trumpet and building confidence i wont hit the turkey woods without it. Great guy to deal with also.
You got a great call!!! I can’t disagree with anyone’s answers they gave I will just add a couple more names Lewis Stowe, Daryl Slaton, Ernie Fetters are great calls and reasonable prices and readily available. Charlie Trotter is also another option he builds some really extravagant high end calls but he also built me a hunter grade call at a very reasonable price. I got rid of Facebook but you can probably get in touch with many of these guys on there.

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2021, 11:24:40 PM »
To start, get a Jordan, not a trumpet. Jordan's have a much easier draw. You're gonna crank on it trying to play it at first. You'll be fighting a good trumpet whereas a Jordan won't buck. Kinda like learning to drive a 4x4 pickup versus a high dollar sports car. Once you refine your technique you will find that trumpets are require less effort to play and you can do more with them.

Permar knows how to make a Jordan and plenty others do, too.

On a good Jordan or wingbone, you shouldn't have to "crank" on it. I build mine to run like a trumpet, meaning less is more.
Actually, great advice for any beginning trumpet, wingbone or Jordan player is "RELAX" and "Easy does it".

That's just nonsense when it comes to starting out. We're not talking about someone who already knows how to run one. I can't speak to any confusion you may have about what you may or may not build.

The elitism amongst suction yelper players is ridiculous. You even get people who play different trumpets in different styles pretending one is superior to the other. "Oh, you can't play like Farmer? Well, I don't know how you expect to call anything." Good grief. There are times and applications for all styles, including cranking on it like you do when you are starting out and trying real hard.

If you want to learn to play, start with an actual Jordan style.

I'm not sure why you would think "Thats just nonsense" for someone (who knows how to run a suction yelper) to give a beginner advice to relax their air draw or draw air easy instead of cranking on it.

Thats pretty much what Marlin Watkins, Del Crow, Ralph Permar and Mark Prudhomme are saying in their you-tube instructional's, and also an older seminar of Zach Farmer. With the info that is now out there, if a beginner really wants to take the time to learn there is no reason to be "cranking" on a call when your learning.

I doubt that EZ has any "confusion" about the calls he builds.
His wing bone and Jordan calls draw air and run as easy as any of the big name trumpets I have run.
As do Mark Sharpe's and R. Permar's.

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2021, 07:57:50 AM »
To start, get a Jordan, not a trumpet. Jordan's have a much easier draw. You're gonna crank on it trying to play it at first. You'll be fighting a good trumpet whereas a Jordan won't buck. Kinda like learning to drive a 4x4 pickup versus a high dollar sports car. Once you refine your technique you will find that trumpets are require less effort to play and you can do more with them.

On a good Jordan or wingbone, you shouldn't have to "crank" on it. I build mine to run like a trumpet, meaning less is more.
Actually, great advice for any beginning trumpet, wingbone or Jordan player is "RELAX" and "Easy does it".

That's just nonsense when it comes to starting out. We're not talking about someone who already knows how to run one. I can't speak to any confusion you may have about what you may or may not build.

The elitism amongst suction yelper players is ridiculous. You even get people who play different trumpets in different styles pretending one is superior to the other. "Oh, you can't play like Farmer? Well, I don't know how you expect to call anything." Good grief. There are times and applications for all styles, including cranking on it like you do when you are starting out and trying real hard.

I'm not sure why you would think "Thats just nonsense" for someone (who knows how to run a suction yelper) to give a beginner advice to relax their air draw or draw air easy instead of cranking on it.

Thats pretty much what Marlin Watkins, Del Crow, Ralph Permar and Mark Prudhomme are saying in their you-tube instructional's, and also an older seminar of Zach Farmer. With the info that is now out there, if a beginner really wants to take the time to learn there is no reason to be "cranking" on a call when your learning.

His wing bone and Jordan calls draw air and run as easy as any of the big name trumpets I have run.

Thank you Crow.....I didn't get the "nonsense" part either. Not sure how Mr. Howl took my advice as condescending or elite, but I certainly didn't mean it that way. I was only giving the very best advice I can give and that's after 30+ years of building and playing around with these great calls.

I love helping folks get started or get better on any suction type yelper. First thing I tell them is quit "cranking" on the call. That's NOT a put down, it's a MUST if you really want to learn.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2021, 08:31:21 AM »

Thank you Crow.....I didn't get the "nonsense" part either. Not sure how Mr. Howl took my advice as condescending or elite, but I certainly didn't mean it that way. I was only giving the very best advice I can give and that's after 30+ years of building and playing around with these great calls.

I love helping folks get started or get better on any suction type yelper. First thing I tell them is quit "cranking" on the call. That's NOT a put down, it's a MUST if you really want to learn.
Absolutely. And there’s certainly a time for loud calling, but volume on a suction call isn’t cranking up the draw as much as it’s opening up the hands. Learn to call soft with little air and the rest is easy. Both of y’all’s advice is spot on, and I agree with the Jordan recommendation, hence why I tried to steer toward a Permar improved Jordan above. Sixty bucks for a call from one of our finest, and them little suckers have been the deaths of many a turkey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ConoverCustomCalls

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2021, 05:58:58 PM »
Who is this EZ, who makes calls?
And how do you get in touch with him?
Thanks

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2021, 06:10:18 PM »
Who is this EZ, who makes calls?
And how do you get in touch with him?
Thanks

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
He posted in this thread just above you, his user name is EZ, just PM him....yes, he makes killer wingbones & Cane calls.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Offline countryboy3006

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2021, 07:08:19 AM »
For the $$$ and just starting out id give Mr. Daryl Gibson a call. I got a trumpet from him last year and its really a good sounding call.  Not sure how it stacks up against some of the bigger names in trumpets but as a "beginner" myself it didnt take very long to become proficient with it. After a spring and fall season under my belt with my gibson trumpet and building confidence i wont hit the turkey woods without it. Great guy to deal with also.

I just ordered a call from Daryl.  Called him up and talked to him about what he had.  He was a really good guy to deal with and talk to.  He ran his calls over the phone for me to listen to.  I was only planning to get a trumpet but he sent me a picture of a matched set trumpet and crow call that I couldn’t turn down.  I’m really looking forward to learning on it.