OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Wanting to try a trumpet  (Read 6942 times)

Offline DirtNap647

• Paintbrush Beard
Wanting to try a trumpet
« on: February 15, 2021, 08:10:17 PM »
Interested in trying a trumpet call this year. Dont know anything about them. Not sure what the difference is in them some are high dollar not sure they sound better or not. Anyone recommend me one. Looking for a starter doesn't have to be a collector just a hunter. Any makers have one for sale feel free to message me...

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Wanting to try a trumpet
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 08:14:57 PM »
Brian Mero, Austy Bott, Ralph Permar, Anthony Ellis, Matt McLain, and/or Clay Townsend
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Chustzc

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 08:21:10 PM »
Check out my Facebook page Chustz Custom Calls or you can email me ChustzC@gmail.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2021 Mississippi call makers 1st place trumpet
2021 Mississippi call makers 3rd place trumpet

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Wanting to try a trumpet
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 08:30:31 PM »
Yes, I’d say with trumpets, for the most part, price affects sound. It’s a hard call for a maker to get right. A lot goes on inside to get the internals right and a lot goes into making a call that draws easily with little air. All that said, the list above (Ralph Permar, Austy Bott, Anthony Ellis, etc.) is spot on, but most will have waiting lists. A lot of times Ralph will have some available on his site. Personally I’d suggest buying the Clay Townsend mud cured osage that was just listed in the classifieds on here. That’s a great call for a good price. Greg Gwaltney (gergg on the forum) also makes a killer call and might could get you into something before season. If money really is an issue I’d suggest buying one of Ralph Permar’s improved Jordans. Not a trumpet but a suction call that you can learn on just the same and in my opinion there’s not a better suction call available for $60. He’s got some for sale on his site right now. One never leaves my vest.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 08:40:19 PM by ChesterCopperpot »

Offline savannahrivergoobler

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 09:09:30 PM »
If anyone has Clay's contact information please send it to me.
thanks

Online Bedge7767

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 09:15:41 PM »
Clay is on here. Under CTownsend.
Jim

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 10:13:36 PM »
To start, get a Jordan, not a trumpet. Jordan's have a much easier draw. You're gonna crank on it trying to play it at first. You'll be fighting a good trumpet whereas a Jordan won't buck. Kinda like learning to drive a 4x4 pickup versus a high dollar sports car. Once you refine your technique you will find that trumpets are require less effort to play and you can do more with them.

Permar knows how to make a Jordan and plenty others do, too.

Online sasquatch1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 10:31:49 PM »
Chris brumfied, he’s one the sight, makes a good affordable trumpet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2021, 06:34:04 AM »
To start, get a Jordan, not a trumpet. Jordan's have a much easier draw. You're gonna crank on it trying to play it at first. You'll be fighting a good trumpet whereas a Jordan won't buck. Kinda like learning to drive a 4x4 pickup versus a high dollar sports car. Once you refine your technique you will find that trumpets are require less effort to play and you can do more with them.

On a good Jordan or wingbone, you shouldn't have to "crank" on it. I build mine to run like a trumpet, meaning less is more.
Actually, great advice for any beginning trumpet, wingbone or Jordan player is "RELAX" and "Easy does it".

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2021, 08:00:54 AM »
GET THE BEST , MOSY EXSPENCIVE ONE YOU CAN AFFORD
PRACTICE , PRACTICE , PRACTICE
IF IT DOESNT WORK OUT FOR YOU OR ITS NOT WHAT YA THINK
YOU CAN ATLEAST GET YOUR MONEY BACK ......
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline willy9889

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2021, 07:27:57 AM »
 I would recommend a Permar classic in delrin......easy to run, nearly indestructible
and wont break the bank.
Best of luck in whatever you choose!!

Willy :anim_25:

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2021, 02:35:53 PM »
All trumpets aren't equal.  What I can run easily, you may have trouble with.  Air operated calls maybe more than any other.  You need to find what fits you.  If you have a call maker nearby, go for a visit.  Most call makers will gladly spend some time finding what suits you and give you some instructions.  Or, find a buddy that has a few and try them.

Del Crow, Marlin Watkins and Ralph Permar all have good instructional videos on YouTube.  Makes it much easier to learn.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Offline Chustzc

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2021, 03:10:51 PM »
All trumpets aren't equal.  What I can run easily, you may have trouble with.  Air operated calls maybe more than any other.  You need to find what fits you.  If you have a call maker nearby, go for a visit.  Most call makers will gladly spend some time finding what suits you and give you some instructions.  Or, find a buddy that has a few and try them.

Del Crow, Marlin Watkins and Ralph Permar all have good instructional videos on YouTube.  Makes it much easier to learn.
Agreed. I build them to the sound and style that i like to run them. But someone else might not like it . Just like mouth calls some people like a certain cut and some don’t

2021 Mississippi call makers 1st place trumpet
2021 Mississippi call makers 3rd place trumpet

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2021, 03:05:54 PM »

On a good Jordan or wingbone, you shouldn't have to "crank" on it. I build mine to run like a trumpet, meaning less is more.
Actually, great advice for any beginning trumpet, wingbone or Jordan player is "RELAX" and "Easy does it".

That's just nonsense when it comes to starting out. We're not talking about someone who already knows how to run one. I can't speak to any confusion you may have about what you may or may not build.

The elitism amongst suction yelper players is ridiculous. You even get people who play different trumpets in different styles pretending one is superior to the other. "Oh, you can't play like Farmer? Well, I don't know how you expect to call anything." Good grief. There are times and applications for all styles, including cranking on it like you do when you are starting out and trying real hard.

If you want to learn to play, start with an actual Jordan style.

Offline jordanz7935

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2021, 04:36:34 PM »
For the $$$ and just starting out id give Mr. Daryl Gibson a call. I got a trumpet from him last year and its really a good sounding call.  Not sure how it stacks up against some of the bigger names in trumpets but as a "beginner" myself it didnt take very long to become proficient with it. After a spring and fall season under my belt with my gibson trumpet and building confidence i wont hit the turkey woods without it. Great guy to deal with also.