OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Calling all Mossberg 835 shooters/owners!  (Read 9588 times)

Offline old3toe

Calling all Mossberg 835 shooters/owners!
« on: February 13, 2021, 10:55:29 PM »
  Hey guys I thought it'd be a cool thread to start for people that own and shoot the tried and true mossy 835 to share info on their setups. How old it is roughly, camo or not, barrel length, favorite choke/chokes, what shells you use preferably. There's so many people using these guns and their popularity is still growing it'd be a great way to help out other guys still experimenting with theirs or guys that make the switch and are looking for a good starting point as far as choke brand, sizes, and shell brand and shot sizes too. I still enjoy reading up on the various information I run across pertaining to these guns any way.   
   So if you have one or two of these guns and want to share some info on them, stories, pics, or anything else feel free to.
   I bought mine new in 2014 If I remember correctly. It's the 20" barrel grand slam model with real tree green camo. I use a Tru Glo holographic sight on it and currently use a kicks GT .670 choke. It loves the winchester 3 1/2" DoubleX 2 1/4oz 6 shot shells(167 in 10" @ 40) with the high velocity 3 1/2"  2oz 5's not far behind.
  Also had crazy good luck with an H.S. Strut Undertaker Choke .695 and Longbeard 3 1/2" 2oz 4's.(177 in 10"@40) I no longer mess with the long beards though since I ran into serious issues with Poa/Poi several years back. Not sure if it was a certain run of shells or not but I just no longer trust them.

Offline surehuntsalot

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Mendenhall,Mississippi
Re: Calling all Mossberg 835 shooters/owners!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 12:57:30 AM »
I have 2 of the old beast, 1 bought around 1989-90 one of the original ones, 24" barrel "corn cob" pump handle, old realtree camo.
It wears a .676 stardot choke and is deadly with almost any lead load you put in it.
The other one is around 12-13 years old, 26" barrel, realtree max-4 camo, has a carlson long beard choke in it, shooting 3" #5 long beards
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Offline old3toe

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 02:14:01 AM »
 Surehuntsalot I love those old school models in the real tree or mossy oak with corn cob pump handles. I've always wanted one but never ran into one for sale until a few weeks ago. It's in overall good condition mechanically but on the top left of the receiver the camo is worn clean down to the metal. About a three to four inch long by 2 in section. Also a little worn around the edges of the action but the rest looks good. I believe the worse part of wear is from being carried so much slung over a shoulder. It's the old real tree and corn cob pump. It'd be nice to have a mint one but at the same time this one has a lot of character to it. No telling the stories it could tell or how many miles this gun has been carried. The action is smooth as silk. They wanted to much for it in my opinion so I passed but I still haven't ruled out going back and making them an offer.
   One day I'll run into a star dot to try myself. I just can't bring myself to pay the high price they go for now.lol

Offline HILBY72

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 07:59:47 AM »
I also have one from the late 80's in the Spartan Realtree. It wears a set of Tru Glo FO sights and eats 3 1/2 Long Beard 6's through an old Hastings .675 choke. I also have a Tru Glo SSX 670 choke for her. I inherited it from my father in law and all I can say is it kicks like a mule, but does throw a great pattern. 

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 09:02:27 AM »
I have 2.  I bought one new back in the early 90s.  When I got it I also purchased a box of 3.5” 00 buckshot.  So I shot it to see what it was like and it was a new recoil experience for me to say the least.  I’ve killed deer, bear, geese, ducks and turkey with that gun.  A couple of years ago I purchased a 24” barrel, pistol grip stock and synthetic forearm for it, painted it OD green and put a Vortex Venom on it.

Also about 2 years ago I saw a camo 835 with a 20” barrel and thumbhole stock for $199.  I purchased it and slapped a Burris FF3 on it and told my teenage son that was his turkey gun.

I have IC .675 chokes on both.  I’m not sure it makes much difference what you shoot out of them for turkey.  We’ve killed most of our turkeys with 3.5” Longbeard #6s.  Last year I tried some Apex TSS with good results as you may imagine.  I generally shoot 3.5” shells because that’s why I bought the 835 to begin with. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 10:22:56 AM »
Bought mine also about later 80s. It has shot the Winchester supremes since than. Recently they’re impossible to find so I started with the grand slams. They are fine as well. I always shot #4 til maybe 10 years ago. I’ve gone to 5 than 6. It’s now wearing a scope. Great blue collar work gun

Offline Matt76cmich

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 10:48:52 AM »
I bought my 835 in the new Bottomland with a 26" barrel early this year. It will be my first fully dedicated turkey gun.  Putting a Fast Fire 3 on it with a Sumtoy mount and running an Indian Creek choke. I'll be running 3.5" Longbeard XR 6 shot and 3.5" Hevi 13 7 shot where I can't use lead.  I bought an ATI pistol grip stock for it when it was on sale through Mossberg, but it was kinda an impulse buy and not 100% sure if I'll use it right away since I'm not sure if the LimbSaver recoil pad I bought for the 835 will work on it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 07:13:25 PM by Matt76cmich »

YukonC

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2021, 10:50:01 AM »
Not to be a bummer but I put down my 835 after dozens of failed to fire at the range for zero checkup. Replaced it with a BPS. The 835 is only 3 years old and not even 50 shots through. Can’t trust it snd now it’s in the safe for good unless someone I know ends up wanting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2021, 11:35:49 AM »
The 835 is a tank based on my single experience with one.

Never owned one of these 835s, but I found one during spring season few years back laying in the wet, tall grass at a trail head in the middle of a huge tract of public ground. Pretty obvious someone leaned it against their vehicle, packed their stuff and pulled away leaving the 835 behind. I actually drove over it with front driver's side wheel pulling into that spot, a full sized pick up, and missed it when I stepped out of my truck in the dark. Could tell it had been lying there a good two weeks.

It was the old style camo, early model. Been carried a lot from the wear marks. Started to rust on the action from the rain, and the factory xtra full choke tube was seized up. Took it back to camp, disassembled it, got it cleaned up, penetrating oil in the threads and got the choke tube out and cleaned. Thing was in fine working condition after a bit of needed attention.

Left notes saying I found a gun, but caller had to describe it. Posted those notes in the area's general stores. No one ever called for the 835, but I did get a couple calls from guys who had lost guns in the woods, just not that particular one I found.  :z-dizzy:

I dropped it off as 'lost/found' with the local state police barracks. Called the trooper who took the information 6 months later, and learned someone had claimed the 835.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2021, 05:38:57 PM »
Mossberg 835  in Mossy Oak Bottomland with Indian Creek .675 choke, Docter Red Dot 3 MOA sight.  Bought the setup in 2019 been using Longbeard XR 3" #5 1 7/8 oz with great success and patterns. But this year I bought some Apex TSS to try out. Had to see what all the excitement was about. 38 yards and 20 hard with Longbeard XR

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline old3toe

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2021, 09:21:13 PM »
 YukonC I understand that. No matter what gun it is the confidence factor is number one in my book when it comes to my gear and turkey hunting. That's why I no longer shoot the Longbeard shells. Deep down I know it was probably just a bad run of them but I still refuse to take a chance on them. As far as the misfires I had a box of ten win super X 3" 1 7/8oz 5's I was going to pattern. The first three shells would not fire in my 835, even on second and third tries. I put them up and patterned the other shells I had to try. But I have fired lots and lots of different shells in this gun in all different lengths and sizes with zero issues. I'm positive those shells had primer hardness issues since there was a good indent in them when struck by the firing pin. Even the same shells from different lots that I had the issues with have always shot great. It's a shame you can't get yours back up and running. Did you try different shells? Or make sure the firing pin wasn't gunked up?
   Paboxcall that's a cool story. I bet someone was sick over that when they realized what they'd done. And it was good of you to seek out the rightful owner.
   I had no idea the newer mossberg 835's were being offered in mossy oak bottomland! I like it a lot!!

Offline Cowboy

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2021, 10:13:06 PM »
I own 2. They are both NWTF 30 year medallions in Realtree Hardwoods.  24 inch barrels. Have a Primos Jellyhead in one right now. Other one is unfired in box. Dont really use it for turkey hunting.  It's my main gun of choice for coyotes. Last 3 I've killed have been 2 at 40+ yards and one big Male at 50 yards. I shoot Winchester Varmint X Copper plated BBs. However, I'll probably carry it to Oklahoma this spring. It also has a great pattern with Longbeard XR # 6.

Offline Cowboy

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2021, 06:00:20 PM »
I own 2. They are both NWTF 30 year medallions in Realtree Hardwoods.  24 inch barrels. Have a Primos Jellyhead in one right now. Other one is unfired in box. Dont really use it for turkey hunting.  It's my main gun of choice for coyotes. Last 3 I've killed have been 2 at 40+ yards and one big Male at 50 yards. I shoot Winchester Varmint X Copper plated BBs. However, I'll probably carry it to Oklahoma this spring. It also has a great pattern with Longbeard XR # 6.
Well guys, just shot both of these 835s at 40 yards with 3 1/2 inch 2 1/8 oz.. # 6. Both are shoot to the RIGHT! Thought it might be me, so my brother shot it. Both to the right. The one 835 handles 3 inch Longbeards ok. Any comments or ideas? What's going on?

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2021, 06:59:14 PM »
Did anyone ever see or own the 835 Tactical Turkey. It’s a tricked out 835 with a Magpol type stock, 20 inch barrel, shell holders on the stock, fiber optic sights, and drilled and tapped receiver. It comes with a custom long range turkey choke. Looks like an interesting gun?
“Solo hunter”

Online RiverBuck

• Custom Hunting Arrows
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2021, 07:04:35 PM »
Those are $529 at Academy.. https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/mossberg-835-ulti-mag-tactical-turkey-shotgun
I don't own one but bet it's a hammer.