OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Field of view - red dot question  (Read 1914 times)

Offline WTNUT

Field of view - red dot question
« on: February 13, 2021, 09:36:35 PM »
Picked up my new over and under that will be used for upland bird hunting and turkey hunting today.   When Turkey hunting I am still “considering” a red dot/holographic sight.  Not sold on them,  but I do like trying new things from time to time.

My question:  The sight will be mounted down the barrel a ways because the way the rib is designed and drilling and taping is not an option due to it being carbon fiber.   Today I looked at a Holosun Ring Open.  I have not looked at the Burris FFF or any others yet.  I have some concern about your field of view the further it is mounted away from your eye.   Any suggestions and experiences shared will be appreciated.  I have touched on this subject in other threads,  but started a new one because of the field of view issue.

Offline USMC0331

• Longbeard
Re: Field of view - red dot question
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 09:44:33 PM »
Some have mounted the aimpoint pretty far up the barrel.  Mine is not that far up. As long as you can see the red dot and keep both eyes open you are golden.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline fmf

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 09:51:36 PM »
field of view doesn’t matter with a red dot.  if you shoot with both eyes open you can literally cover up the front of the sight completely and your eyes will superimpose the dot on the target

Offline WTNUT

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 09:59:43 PM »
field of view doesn’t matter with a red dot.  if you shoot with both eyes open you can literally cover up the front of the sight completely and your eyes will superimpose the dot on the target

I shoot all upland game and ducks with both eyes open,  but might have to think about doing it with turkeys.  I am pretty sure I shoot one eye closed on turkeys. 

I am not real sure what your are trying to say or teach me with “... can literally cover up the front of the sight completely and your eyes will superimpose the dot on the target”.    Sorry slow student here.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 11:00:47 PM »
I love the Aimpoint. Mounts solid, Great field of view.....No Mount required. As you can see, I have mine back towards stock...Aimpoint Micro S-1.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 07:24:18 AM by Tom007 »
“Solo hunter”

Offline fmf

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 08:37:03 AM »

I shoot all upland game and ducks with both eyes open,  but might have to think about doing it with turkeys.  I am pretty sure I shoot one eye closed on turkeys. 

I am not real sure what your are trying to say or teach me with “... can literally cover up the front of the sight completely and your eyes will superimpose the dot on the target”.    Sorry slow student here.

i’m saying that you could put tape over the front side of the sight and if you have both eyes open you can still see the dot and you can still see your target, you don’t have to see through the sight to be able to put the dot on the target. i know it sounds like voodoo but got to a shop that sells red dots and try it out, it is a real thing.  basically you don’t have to see “through” the red dot.  either way, though, both eyes open or just one, field of view is a non issue even with the dot mounted forward.  it isn’t like a scope, you see through and around it at the same time.  i hope this helps

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 10:08:46 AM »
^^ This ^^    fmf is giving you good advise.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 02:38:09 PM »

i’m saying that you could put tape over the front side of the sight and if you have both eyes open you can still see the dot and you can still see your target, you don’t have to see through the sight to be able to put the dot on the target. i know it sounds like voodoo but got to a shop that sells red dots and try it out, it is a real thing.  basically you don’t have to see “through” the red dot.  either way, though, both eyes open or just one, field of view is a non issue even with the dot mounted forward.  it isn’t like a scope, you see through and around it at the same time.  i hope this helps

Thanks, I am looking forward to use mine for both turkey and waterfowl. Great info, thx
“Solo hunter”