OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Decoy

Started by MOWEN, February 10, 2021, 09:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MOWEN

When and if any of y'all carry a hen decoy, which one do y'all use.  We cover some pretty decent acreage hunting public land so weight and bulkiness are big factors.  It'll be shoved in the back pocket of a vest most of the time just walking so collapsible, but it needs to come back to shape when I set up.  And realistic enough.  It won't be a every hunt thing just in big open bottoms where I can keep his eyes off me.  Just looking for what brand has done yall the best.  Preshate any info or help.

rakkin6

I use the Avian X feeding hen. They are the blow up type so they can be a bit bulky but weight is negligible. Have had good luck using it and it will fit in your vest.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

bbcoach

Quote from: rakkin6 on February 10, 2021, 09:52:29 AM
I use the Avian X feeding hen. They are the blow up type so they can be a bit bulky but weight is negligible. Have had good luck using it and it will fit in your vest.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER
X2.  I also carry the Avian X's as well.  They come with a carry bag with a shoulder strap but can be slid in the back of a vest with a game bag, as well.  If I use 1 decoy, it will be the feeding hen.  It is a non confrontational, relaxed hen that says, I'm here Come Join Me.  If a Gobbler has answered your calls and comes to your setup, he expects to see that hen if you are hunting a field, a road or open spaces.  If you are hunting woods, don't worry about a decoy, by the time he finds that hen he should be dead.

rakkin6

Yeah I have the whole flock, lay down breeder, feeding, upright and 1/4 strut Jake. Just depends on the area I am hunting what I use. If I am going to run and gun all day or choose just 1 it's the feeder hen. If I am going to setup over a field and just sit nd.be patient maybe all four.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Greg Massey

Quote from: rakkin6 on February 10, 2021, 12:33:53 PM
Yeah I have the whole flock, lay down breeder, feeding, upright and 1/4 strut Jake. Just depends on the area I am hunting what I use. If I am going to run and gun all day or choose just 1 it's the feeder hen. If I am going to setup over a field and just sit nd.be patient maybe all four.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER
X2 i agree with this , it all depends if your hunting woods or field edges with your setup. But i will always use a feeding hen.

Jrkimbrough

Montana miss purrfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkeytider

If I were a more mobile hunter, the Avian X would be under strong consideration. As it is, I`m more of a sedentary hunter, so a DSD is my preference.

MOWEN

Thanks for yalls input.

avidnwoutdoorsman

I run the GHG feeder hen... inexpensive, folds up, and is lite
Keep Calm and Gobble On!

Alex T.

We've shot more turkeys over this hen decoy(and usually the jake decoy like it) than any other decoys we've tried. You can fold it and put it in your vest, under your arm, or just carry it.

MK M GOBL

DSD is the way to go!

MK M GOBL

THattaway

"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

RiverBuck

That girl has great legs... She like long walks in the woods?

Gobble!

DSD upright hen is the only one I have. If I'm going for a long walk in the woods she stays at home though.