OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Tree calls and soft stuff on box calls for the finish  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Bculbert88bama

Tree calls and soft stuff on box calls for the finish
« on: February 08, 2021, 10:36:02 PM »
Ok I’m thinking about just running my box calls this season. Was wondering about soft calls on them they seem loud to me and when I muffled it with my thumb on the sides it does not sound rite any experience on this on live birds

Offline culpeper

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Tree calls and soft stuff on box calls for the finish
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 08:47:45 AM »
You 'might' be putting too much pressure and in the wrong place.  Find the ideal place where the box breaks over, then press ever so lightly from the front of the call working your way toward the back about midway up on the sound rail.  Run the call with very short abbreviated strokes.  I would also lighten, maybe you did already, the pressure on the lid.  It takes very little to get nasally tree and feeding sounds on a good custom box.  You might only need to move the lid 1/2" - 3/4".
Depending on the call itself, the friction and so forth...some will NOT do it.  I have found Butternut for the body to work best.

Offline Bculbert88bama

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 10:16:12 AM »
Thank you wi try that out

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 07:17:20 AM »
Scratch box is more used by myself in those conditions. It’s cheap and small.

Offline Zobo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • It's about the journey, not the outcome
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 10:10:32 PM »
You can easily play softly on good quality box calls. Its one of the things I look for when choosing a box, not all of them can do it. Its not you, it's probably your call. Culpeper's right about the sounds you can get from a good custom call with very little pressure.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14