OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Newbie needs a call.  (Read 2821 times)

Offline ohihunter2018

Newbie needs a call.
« on: February 06, 2021, 12:23:30 PM »
What’s a good call for a newbie? I cannot use mouth calls due to mouth damage I received when younger. Also? Anyone have any good videos to watch on learning how to call?

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
Re: Newbie needs a call.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 12:33:50 PM »
Pot calls and box calls will do everything you need and both are fairly easy to learn. I think a pot call is a bit easier to pick up on

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 01:26:12 PM »
Push pins are great options too. Most people think they are only for beginners, I have a buddy that laughs when I tell him it’s my primary call. I smile back at him and say to myself thank god he really doesn’t know....best of luck my friend. You will love the forum...
“Solo hunter”

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 02:58:10 PM »
Lot of good and great pot call builders. It depends on what your willing to pay for them. For a good pot call contact Nathan Taylor he's also building box calls now. Others who build outstanding pot calls are Clay Townsend, Larry Buster Halford and Mark Cornelius this is just a few of them. Box calls , others are Jeff White, Tim Bullock, T J Johnson, Marlin Watkins and Scott Witter builds as good of a box call you will ever play in my opinion. This is just a few of the builders. Most all of these guys are on Facebook and have sound files of them playing all of these calls..

Offline jwm1485

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 03:15:26 PM »
Check out the classifieds. I would also recommend  one of gooserbat odds and ends calls in the classified section. http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,101128.0.html

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 05:17:39 PM »
Here is a list of videos on learning to call that I have compiled, many have helped me quite a bit. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbF6qMoJbTLzkdmzIrqSSxeTkJKKmXVg8
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 11:29:53 PM »
For a good pot call reach out to

Mark Cunningham (footballer on here)
Chad Remenaric (bigslam51 on here)
Chris Brumfiel (C. Brumfiel on here)
Jimmy Schaffer at Oak Ridge Turkey Calls

Most of these call makers will already be working on calls and the wait will not be to long  at all. All for under $100.00 most for the $60.00 range.

Box calls
Jeff White
David Halloran
Jeff McKamey (Twisting Creek Turkey Calls)
TJ Johnson makes a great fiddle and longbox. Gonna be a little pricier a d a little longer wait. But they are worth it.

Strikers
Jeff Harrison (JLH on here) I pretty much use his exclusively but there are others that make quality strikers.

Clay Townsend
Stumpy

Hope this helps you out. I would say depending on finances maybe try to get a box and pot and start practicing now. You could do both for about $130.00 (minus the TJ Johnson fiddle or longbox going to pay more but if you can swing it they are worth it.) All these makers do send strikers with their pots so you don't have to buy one if you don't want to. But one of JLH strikers will go for about $20-30 bucks wood dependent.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline sbbow

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2021, 11:59:36 AM »
For just starting out an to keep the price down. I would go with a Jeff White box an a Chad Remenaric(bigslam51) for a pot call jmo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline HILBY72

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2021, 07:05:44 AM »
MAC Calls.... Glass over glass or Slate over glass in a Cherry pot, don't know how long the wait is but it is worth it. You Tube should have some instructional videos

Offline yelpy

• Double Beard
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 07:29:47 AM »
I have seen some good video's on youtube on how to run a box call / paddle call. Some call makers have made their own you can get. If you order ask the call maker if they have anything that will help you learn how to run the call. I've bought vhs tapes from Marlin Watkins way back. I've also had discs from Roger Parks. Both great call makers. 

Offline 12point

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2021, 08:51:27 PM »
Dale Outdoors on Youtube can help. TWRA has used him to do some Pod cast to help turkey hunters.
He likes to help people I think, not  flashy. He has several video's im sure some can help.

Offline 12point

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2021, 09:06:26 PM »
You can pick up calls at the end of the season at walmart and save some money. Some of these will get the job done and you can have several calls play with

Offline wbyman

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2021, 10:45:51 PM »
Assuming you don’t own any calls now a pot call in slate, aluminum, or glass would be fine to start on. Go to a Bass Pro or similar store or find a friend to try out a few and see what is comfortable. Tons of great YouTube videos. Don’t get frustrated learning that’s half the fun. Lots of good advice in above posts.  Good luck!
"Control your destiny, or someone else will"