only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Flying with your turkey gun

Started by Roost 1, February 06, 2021, 06:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmarek

Quote from: dzsmith on February 09, 2021, 08:39:12 PM
Quote from: tha bugman on February 09, 2021, 07:29:35 PM
Never had any problems.  Gun should be in a lockable case.  I have transported ammo in other baggage with my clothes.
you got lucky then because that's a no no

I've never had a problem with my firearm in a locked gun case and the ammo in my locked checked baggage with my clothes etc
and I'm talking about too many times to remember

PalmettoRon

It's totally allowable to place your ammo in a piece of checked luggage other than your gun case. I always do that. I tell the airline agent when they ask if I have ammo. You can carry up to 5 kg of ammo. That's very easy to do if you're bringing some waterfowl shells. You would be hard pressed to get that kind of ammo volume in a gun case. You will also get less hassle from the airline agent as some of them don't think you can put it in the gun case. You can. TSA swabs your case for explosive residue, so that's one less factor removed by not putting it into a gun case.

TSA inspects your checked baggage and the ammo is seen. It's not a matter of being lucky. You can't carry the ammo on board the plane, but otherwise it is completely legitimate to pack it however you choose to do so as long as it goes under the plane. I first started flying with guns and ammo more than 30 years ago and do it several times a year.

You can even check a handgun in a locked case and place it into a piece of regular baggage as long as TSA checks it, you lock the gun case up and then put it in unlocked baggage.

It's not a difficult process unless the airline agent is not knowledgeable. TSA since its creation has never presented a problem for me and I too can't begin to count the times I've flown with guns and ammo.

dzsmith

for those saying don't use a TSA lock...here is why I would. I have been removed from a plane to come back and open a non TSA lock on luggage that was already checked. That shouldn't happen....but it does, and if you have a TSA lock, you wont have to make that trip and risk missing a flight. I do agree TSA locks are junk.... I didn't know you could carry ammo on checked luggage outside of your gun case. I asked at my local airport and that's where they told me to put it was in the gun case. But I see how that wouldn't make sense especially for a waterfowler or somebody carrying excessive amounts of ammo where as a turkey hunter typically wouldn't need that much.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

PalmettoRon

Yep. Absolutely use a TSA approved lock on regular luggage if you lock it or you will get called back most likely by TSA. I haven't locked my regular luggage in years and haven't experienced any theft. However, I carry my binoculars, calls, GPS, range finder on board in a backpack. I especially wouldn't trust TSA with my binoculars out of sight as they might drop them. Baggage dudes can break an anvil, so I never would trust my calls with them in my luggage and certainly not my binocs. Anything of value short of your gun and ammo, carry it on. I usually carry on or wear my boots and one camo outfit in case the luggage is misplaced. A real biggie is to definitely have your license and tag with you and not in your luggage.

g8rvet

I absolutely DO NOT use a TSA lock and never will.  I want to be the only person that can open my luggage.  I have opened it once for them and had them ask for key once in lots of flights. I do not ever want them opening my case for any reason without my knowledge. 

FROM TSA:  Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. As defined by 49 CFR 1540.5 a loaded firearm has a live round of ammunition, or any component thereof, in the chamber or cylinder or in a magazine inserted in the firearm. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks.

I put that in bold, not them.  You cannot follow their rule (that I bolded) and use a TSA lock (althought they clearly say you can in the next sentence).  TSA master keys are supposedly able to be reproduced with a 3D printer.  While it would be unlikely you would be liable, I don't want someone monkeying around with my guns.  When my brother and I fly to Canada, there is 4 grand worth of guns in the case.  I want to know it my case has been opened.  I have my cell number on the outside of the case with my name as well for ID. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

dzsmith

trust me I understand your reasoning. I just don't want to be kicked off the flight, to go unlock luggage they already  looked at because it didn't have a TSA lock and they wanted back in it. It happened to me...and ive used a tsa lock every since. Grant it , all the times I used the lock before that was fine...until the one time something happened and they wanted it back open. I did not miss my flight....but it was dang close. And when you get removed from a flight, you have to go all the way back, and process the whole way back in.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Kyle_Ott

There are a lot of inconsistencies in this thread regarding guns and ammo in the same case.

It is 100% authorized to store your ammunition in the same case as the weapon.  There is no reason to separate the two.

Additionally, you will NEVER have a problem with your ammunition if it is stored in the original box or if you put your handloads in an original box you saved.  Plastic cases are a toss up as to whether the agent thinks they're permissible. 

Some additional tips:

*Always place the gun in the case with the optic/sights facing upwards.  Gravity works on gun cases too, and your firearm will naturally want to migrate towards the bottom of the case as you pick it up/put it down.  You don't want the shock from the bottom of the case transferred immediately into your optic if it has moved down towards the bottom.

Personally, I always line the top and the bottom of my gun case with socks to make sure my gun and sights can never make contact with the perimeter of the case in the event my gun shifts during transport.   

*There is a lot of space in a gun case.  Use it wisely.  You can easily fit extra clothes, socks, shells, knives and general miscellaneous gear in them and you should. 

*Flying with a gun is not complicated but you want to make it as easy for the gate agents as possible.  I would advise against using any NON-TSA lock.  You're asking for trouble in terms of missing your flight. 

Good luck to anyone travelling this spring. 

Jmarek

Quote from: g8rvet on February 10, 2021, 05:24:09 PM
I absolutely DO NOT use a TSA lock and never will.  I want to be the only person that can open my luggage.  I have opened it once for them and had them ask for key once in lots of flights. I do not ever want them opening my case for any reason without my knowledge. 

FROM TSA:  Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. As defined by 49 CFR 1540.5 a loaded firearm has a live round of ammunition, or any component thereof, in the chamber or cylinder or in a magazine inserted in the firearm. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks.

I put that in bold, not them.  You cannot follow their rule (that I bolded) and use a TSA lock (althought they clearly say you can in the next sentence).  TSA master keys are supposedly able to be reproduced with a 3D printer.  While it would be unlikely you would be liable, I don't want someone monkeying around with my guns.  When my brother and I fly to Canada, there is 4 grand worth of guns in the case.  I want to know it my case has been opened.  I have my cell number on the outside of the case with my name as well for ID.

yes! use a TSA lock on your checked luggage - clothes, etc and the ammo but use you own Non-TSA lock on you firearms case
As in the above quote TSA wants only you to have access to the firearms -
I've always placed my ammo in my checked bag with my clothes but, TSA says it can be in firearm case but most airlines want it separated
Use the original factory boxes- even if you reload - some airlines personnel will give you a hard time with the plastic ammo boxes
every time I've flown - I've been right there when TSA inspects the firearm case and if they want to open it they will turn and ask you for  the key
The checked bag with the ammo in it is handled by the airlines sometimes the ticket agent wants to see the ammo sometimes they don't and I've never had it taken to TSA for inspection
I've lost track how many times I've traveled with firearms and I've never had a problem doing the above

g8rvet

My choice is non TSA lock because I would rather miss my flight than lose my gun.  Both are low likelihood, but I will err on missing flight.  I have never had anything other than the case is sent to TSA, I wait at check in for the okay.  Once I was asked to open it, once I was asked for keys.  Both times before I left the check in.  I have done this at both small and large airports and with the exception of Toronto, it was all handled smoothly. 

Just check with your airline and do what you are comfortable with.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Gobble!

4 pages in I assume this has been posted but if it hasn't, check out Dave's video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPfiJWPbnHQ

Roost 1

ChiefBubba

A lot of good information in this thread #1 DO NOT USE A TSA LOCK ON GUN CASES! Bubba

Crghss

I do not use TSA lock. Last few times I flown they've either (CO) walked to the place TSA does the inspection. Once completed (they did ask for my key once) left for my Gate. Or (SD & FL) had me wait at luggage check till TSA did inspection. They came out said inspection done, left for gate.

I always put ammo plus other stuff in my gun case. You can put up to 50 lbs in there so take advantage. Plus I feel helps protect gun. Never had a Airline employee look in my gun case. They give me the Declaration (red) card to fill out I put it in gun case then that's it.

Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Richard Cranium

My question is in regards to the Pelican 1750 it appears to be over the size restrictions for most airlines of 62 inches. Has anyone ever ran into a problem with this? Or do they simply add a oversized up charge?

Crghss

Quote from: Richard Cranium on January 19, 2022, 09:09:46 AM
My question is in regards to the Pelican 1750 it appears to be over the size restrictions for most airlines of 62 inches. Has anyone ever ran into a problem with this? Or do they simply add a oversized up charge?

https://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/cases/long-case/protector/1750

Pelican website has specs of 50.5".
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...