OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Flying with your turkey gun  (Read 6520 times)

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
Re: Flying with your turkey gun
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2021, 08:19:34 AM »
Get a good case you can lock, TSA approved locks, ammo in it original package and your good. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2021, 01:44:22 PM »
A few years ago, I flew to Kansas and South Dakota to finish my Slam.  I thought it would be a nightmare but it was easy.  Find or borrow a quality lockable gun case.  Put your gun and Boxed ammo in the case.  If it has multiple locks get multiple locks.  Walmart carries small locks in multi packs keyed the same that work well.  Contact your carrier and get the required declaration paperwork required by them and TSA.  Fill it out and have it ready when you check in.  Your carrier will ask if you have anything you need to declare and you tell them you are flying with a gun cased and plan on checking it.  They will charge you checked baggage fee and direct you to TSA.  TSA will look inside, swab it for powder residue and check your paperwork.  At that point, you will put your locks on ALL entry tabs and hand the case to TSA, who will move it to the conveyor for checked baggage.  At this point, it will be considered checked baggage and it SHOULD follow you to your destination.  Not much to it IMHO.  HAVE FUN!  Enjoy the TRIP! 

Offline Ranger

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2021, 01:55:54 PM »
Was thinking 2 locks was logical like some said and enough, but after hearing from some it sounds like if there's 4 holes, use 4 locks.  Thanks bbcoach, using a military surplus Pelican case cleaned up and foam custom cut for 20GA and the rest wide open on the inside. Will make sure to have 4 locks though
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Offline ChiefBubba

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2021, 04:06:56 PM »
If there’s a place for a lock put a lock on it. Doesn’t matter if there’s 1, 2, 3 ,4 or 10 spots put a lock on it. DO NOT USE TSA LOCKS! Those are junk use good pad locks. Bubba

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2021, 04:30:27 PM »
Get you some of these locks. Just don't lose the keys.

https://www.masterlock.com/products/product/M40XD

DE OPPRESSO LIBER
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2021, 07:13:20 AM »
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Master-Lock-Padlock-121Q-Covered-Solid-Body-3-4in-19mm-Wide-4-Pack/19870163  Here's a sample from Wally World.  You should get multiple keys with this set.  Spread the keys around, in case you do lose a set.  Have a set in your pocket, one set in a safe place in your checked baggage, one set in your carry on, leave a set at home and give your flying hunting buddy a set just in case.  This way you will be able to access your gun and ammo at your destination and when you return home.

Offline Crghss

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2021, 09:55:47 PM »
Bbcoach said it right with multiple locks.

Seems like every airports does it a little different but I never had a problem.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2021, 11:59:49 PM »
I have flown with guns a few times. One thing I have found out is the rules change periodically. It pays to review the rules just prior to your trip to make sure you are compliant.
I recommend going on line to the TSA website and print out their rules. Then go to your airlines website and print out their rules as well. On a trip to Michigan a TSA agent tried to confiscate my gun because she said I hadn't followed TSA rules. I knew the rules, and followed them, but I didn't have them printed out. I had to point out to her that Orlando's TSA accepted my gun to fly out, and Detroit accepted my gun when I flew in, so it would make sense that Detroit would allow me to fly the gun home. She refused and continued saying she was going to confiscate my gun. After cursing her, and threatening to report her to TSA (she refused to call her supervisor), and threatening to call 911 and bring the police to the airport. She finally relented, saying "I'll let you get away with it this time." I had a few more choice cuss words for her. On the flight home I thought about how satisfying it would have been to have the rules printed out and tell her how she should learn to do her job.
Other than that, the guys have pretty much covered the key points. Good luck on your trip!!

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2021, 07:11:11 AM »
You better have a tsa lock in every hole . If it has 2 holes , 2 locks . If it has 10 holes , 10 locks. If you don’t . TSA will not check it in. I had one lock on a 2 hole case . They told me i needed 2. They said hold one we have a pile of them , you’ll just have to cut it off yourself when you get there . I boarded the plane only to be kicked off the flight right before take off because it turns out the lock they put on it .... wouldn’t lock. I missed my flight. I was very angry because I watched the guy put the second lock on it. I had to drive an hour home and catch a flight the next morning. They payed for it , but still what a crap shoot. Also my home airport on my return threw my pelican storm case so hard they physically broke the caster off the case. I’m sure some of you know how tough the storm case is ....you’d literally have to throw it off a skyscraper to physically rip the caster out of rotomolded plastic . Anyways .... my gun was perfectly fine , glad I happened to have a very nice case otherwise it would have been destroyed .
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Offline Jmarek

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2021, 12:13:50 PM »
I know some above have said to use TSA locks on a firearms case - but don't - TSA even says not to - no one should have access to firearm but you- I've always gone with the case to  TSA for their inspection and if they want inside you hand them the key then they give it right back to you while you watch -
I've flown with firearms many many times - ammo  in  a separate checked luggage and each airport is different when it comes to collecting your firearm when you land - Like Dulles airport in Washingto  DC it is hand carried to the bagage managers office and your show your luggage stub and away you go - at DFW it comes out at the oversized luggage and sometimes no one is around to  check ID so I just get mine and go
I've never really had any problems even when checking in usually American Airlines

Offline PalmettoRon

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2021, 12:40:34 PM »
Agree. Use a good quality lock, but it definitely varies how TSA handles the inspection. At my home airport, they take the key and inspect the gun outside your view. Same experience in Albuquerque and Charlotte. I've never had TSA be aggravating though. The airline staff is another matter. Always have their particular airline policy in hand as many of the agents are not knowledgeable about their policy much less firearms. My buddy had an airline counter agent give him the business over his muzzleloader. She kept insisting he show her the breach to show it was unloaded. Fortunately another agent finally came up to educate her.

Offline Jmarek

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2021, 02:14:16 PM »
I agree about some people having problems with the agent when checking in - they just don't get firearms too often - depends on airport and the airlines
Don't be afraid to ask for a supervisor if the ticket counter agent doesn't seem to know what to do

Offline WW

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2021, 03:58:35 PM »
It's easy and only takes 10-15 minutes normally from start to finish. Good Case (pelican), lock in every hole and go to the Baggage service desk upon final destination, (which is normally close to the baggage claim) for gun pick-up. Just remember to get locks that won't let the case lid open enough to get one finger tip inside the case.....I've heard of TSA not passing the gun case as checked baggage, because the lock shaft was too long and you could touch the inside of the case. Put some guitar stickers on the outside of the case in order to camo the firearm... the anti-gun people will smile as you're walking in to check it through.  :)

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2021, 07:29:35 PM »
Never had any problems.  Gun should be in a lockable case.  I have transported ammo in other baggage with my clothes.

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2021, 08:39:12 PM »
Never had any problems.  Gun should be in a lockable case.  I have transported ammo in other baggage with my clothes.
you got lucky then because that’s a no no
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."