Flying with your turkey gun

Started by Roost 1, February 06, 2021, 06:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PharmHunter

American Airlines Policy
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/baggage/firearms-and-ammunition.jsp

TSA Policy
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

Appears you can* have the ammunition in the gun case or your checked baggage.  I've always had another bag to check and had zero issues with it in there.  Would be hard with most gun cases to have shells in a proper box and close said case, but it is okay to do so if you can, per both these policies.

Roost 1

Would a pelican vault 770 be a good case??

Ol timer

Go on the TSA web site look up firearms and ammunition it will give you some insight on there regulations.

PalmettoRon

The Pelican 770 is a fine case and will protect your weapon very well. However, I think it carries only one firearm and I don't think it has wheels to allow you to grasp a handle and pull the case behind you. I have a Pelican 1750. It's a bit more, but you can definitely carry 2 weapons and it's easier to handle with the handle and wheels.

My wife, adult children and bud from in town sometimes go with me, so having the option to carry 2 guns is less costly than checking another bag. It's also easier with those wheels if you have to go very far to and from your vehicle at the airport.

If it's going to be just you for the foreseeable future, go with the 770.

PharmHunter

Quote from: Roost 1 on February 06, 2021, 10:37:03 AM
Would a pelican vault 770 be a good case??

Oh Yeah, and like someone else already mentioned I'd probably get a better lock than the TSA locks.  They are small and may not even have the clearance for that case's thickness where the lock goes thru.  Just get something brass that fits and you'll be good to go.

PalmettoRon

Also agree with PharmHunter. While you can carry the ammo in your case, I wouldn't. The airline agents don't always know their own policy. Put it in another checked bag and things will go smoother.

ChiefBubba

Quote from: PalmettoRon on February 06, 2021, 09:04:02 AM
I've done it many times. It is a variable process depending on the TSA process at each airport and the airline too. Buy a good quality case as the baggage handlers are in a hurry and toss around luggage like a Frisbee. I would recommend Pelican.

To simplify matters, I would not put the ammo in your gun case even if it's in the original box. Put the ammo in the original box in a separate piece of checked luggage. You can't carry the ammo in a carry on. I once had to take my ammo back to my vehicle as the woman for Delta would not let me check it as it was in a hard plastic ammo box instead of the original paper box. I tried to argue that my ammo was much more safely secured in the plastic. No go. I've later successfully checked ammo in hard plastic and have read the airline info supporting the ability to do so.

Put a good quality lock on every place on your case that has a place where a lock can fit. I used to lock my Pelican with 2 locks. I had a buddy get held up by the airlines as they wanted 4 locks on the case, never mind that there is no way to open the case with 2 locks on it. I never had an issue until some young smartass airline agent smiled at me and said it was unacceptable to take my case with just 2 locks. I argued with him over the stupidity of that and that most gun cases only have one or two places to lock the case and challenged him to try to open the case. I was pleasant, but wanted to see how he would react. He then told me I would have to go to the gift shop and try to get 2 more locks. I then fished out of my backpack 2 quality locks, smiled and put them on.

You will not have to pay any more to check a gun than any other piece of luggage. It's the same fee.

Get to the airport unless it's a small airport 2 hours ahead of your flight. TSA has different ways of inspecting your weapon. Ask the airline agent how the TSA process will work. At some airports, you never see the TSA agent and you wait at the airline counter until the TSA agent tells the airline agent that you're good to go. Other times, an airline agent accompanies you and your gun case and takes you to TSA. It is extremely variable about how the process works.

Make sure you have a key or the combo readily available.TSA does not always open the case, but usually does and will want your key or combo.

I would strongly suggest you read the info from the airline you will be flying on regarding guns and ammo and copy it and have it on you. Many of the agents do not know the policies of their airline. Equipped with the info in hand and remaining polite but firm can help at times.

You will need to open your case at the airline counter and sign and date a card that the agent will also sign. You will then place this card into the case and lock it. It's been that way for years. Go figure!

Most of the time, it is not a big deal. I have never really had TSA give me a hard time. I have had airline agents try to make things difficult as I think the antigun and antihunter crowd if given a chance to annoy you, will try to do so.

Hope you have a great hunt!!

Follow these instructions and you will not have a problem. Bubba

Matt76cmich

WV Flopper

Not to argue, but to stress the importance: Read and understand the TSA policies! Read and understand the airline policies you are fling on. "I really like the above mentioned make a copy of the policy and have with." All airlines do not have the same policies! TSA does.

Last time I flied with my shotgun I used TSA locks, "As required by the airline". Had my ammo in a hard plastic pistol chase with a lock on it, inside of my shotgun chase with the shotgun. The shotgun case had 2 TSA locks on the outside. My chase has been beaten up a little over the years but I have never had a broken lock. Airline loved the luggage in this fashion and even commented on it. This was at IAD Dulles, international.

I did one time on return, go to the service desk to pick up my firearm, the attendant asked if I checked the oversized baggage carousel. I said, NO. She told me I should. I walked down there and there set my firearm going around in a circle beside a trombone! Also at IAD.

Not all airports are the same. Not all people in the airports know the rules or policies. It is your responsibility to know them,  understand them, and comply to them. Again, I like the Make a copy comment earlier. I will do that myself next time, just in case.

Be early. Last time I purchased a first class ticket, didn't have to worry about extra baggage fees or weight, just a thought. Yes, it was more expensive that way in the long run, but no hassle.

I always feel like I am doing something wrong strolling through an airport with a gun! Makes me nervous.

WV Flopper

So, like 15 years ago my woman's brother lived in Idaho, I bought her a plan ticket to go and see him for Christmas. She does not like winter and kept setting on the money for the ticket. Well, I got to looking at spring turkey dates in Idaho and started to develop a plan. It worked great, she held off a little longer until turkey season in Idaho would be open. That way I could go, and finance the whole trip. 

I did some recon from WV, lot harden then than now. Called and spoke with a Biologist, and came up with another plan.

The brother lived in Victor Id, I think. Right across the Teton pass from Jackson Wyoming, so we would be flying into Jackson.

I got spooked reading all the rules about AMMO on the plane. Well, Idaho is a big waterfowl state, I didn't know that. So looking I found a gun shop in Idaho Falls that had shells for a 10g on the shelf in what at the time I used.  Problem solved! I would not take shells and pick some up as I traveled from the eastern part of Idaho to the western part where I was to hunt.

Everything worked great! I got to the store there set the shells, I picked them up, paid, out the door. So, I drive 8 hours total to get to the spot. I ride, its still light out, and scout. Right before dark I find a group of turkeys with a Tom in the group and some jakes as well.  Awesome, plan coming together.

So, I get to the motel in Macall Idaho I believe, start getting my gear out and blam, it happens.  12 gauge shells! I guess the moron in me took over and in hast reached down and picked up the wrong shells! So I have a 10g with 12g shell, never done it before but don't think it would work as I would want it too..... I would have if I had to, believe me!

I had noticed my neighbors down a door or two were hunters themselves. I go down, Walk of Shame, Embarrassed, and tell the story. Then, ask if either of them had a 10g that I could get some shells for? "Yea right"  Well the one fellow did, he didn't have a bunch so could only offer up two. Good enough, I gave him the box of 12's in exchange. "Thank you Sir if your on here."

I did get to use one of those shells the next day, so it worked out alright I guess. 

I cant stress enough: Read and understand the rules to fly with your weapon and ammo. Its not that big of a deal.

g8rvet

Ammo in original box and transported in the case with unloaded firearm.  May also take in checked bags. 

No TSA locks.  You should use locks that ONLY you have the key or combination to.  Point of emphasis a few years back became that TSA can't reach inside your case at all - so on a Pelican with 4 locks spaces, fill each one.  If they can crack it open and fit a finger or two in, they may give you a hard time.

I have my cell phone number on the outside of the case.  This allows TSA to easily reach you if there is a problem.  Has come in handy several times. 

I have flown with a Pelican case probably 15 times.  it looks like it has been drug behind a tractor on rocky soil.  They will abuse your case, so be sure it can stand up.  Had a master, high quality lock broken!  3 of the 4 were fine, one was just gone.  No idea what happened.

Do not, under any circumstance, fly through Toronto with a firearm.  Avoid that place at all costs - pick another route.  Just trust me on that one-long story.

It is intimidating at first but  check all the rules, be friendly, listen to instructions from the check in folks and the TSA agents (if you even see them) and it is not a big deal.  Never had anything more than a minor delay (except Toronto!).  You will be fine.  Check the policy of every airline your bags will be on as well. Palmetto Ron was spot on.

Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

catman529

This may have been mentioned above (didn't read) but Dave Owens has a good video explaining the ins and outs of flying with a firearm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

g8rvet

Great video by Dave Owens.  I just watched it. 

Be careful with disassembly.  Make sure it is very well padded (he gets to that).  Learned that the hard way.  Weigh your case after it is loaded, to make sure it is under weight for your airline.

I also have the current TSA regs in my carry on, easily accessible.  Good advice.

I put all knives and such in the gun case.

Silly thing I do, but I always leave my old "Firearm Unloaded" card from previous flight.  I think it lets them know you have done it before and makes the agents more comfortable.  I just act like I forgot and toss it when they point it out.

Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

avidnwoutdoorsman

This thread has you covered but in case you are confused.....

Read the TSA guidelines and call them if you have questions

Read the Airlines guidelines and call them if you have questions

After reading this thread I'm about to buy a better case.... Mine has gone unscathed to date (I fly Alaska).... I've heard they get excited with guns....guess I've been lucky.

Another small thing to consider which you shouldn't have flying west but for those fly east understand local ordinance. Some cities and states have much stricture guidelines then others.... Hawaii, New York, Chicago to name a few.... if they are your final destination ... pending duration of stay. The best thing is to be informed. People including agents get confused with what the rules themselves.
Keep Calm and Gobble On!

eggshell

One other option that a buddy of mine used to do is ship your gun ahead of you. Of course you have to know someone to do that, but most outfitters will agree to it. Now shipping has tough regulations too. You have to have your gun in a cardboard box, that won't obviously reveal it's a gun. Most gun stores have boxes there guns came in. I found one my case would fit in.