OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: New turkey gun recommendations  (Read 7916 times)

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
Re: New turkey gun recommendations
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2021, 07:23:22 AM »
Yeah, I’m not real happy about it. Indian creek will take the choke back and refund me but man I was really excited about it. I guess I’ll just have to see what the full choke will do with turkey loads for now and look into a custom choke or threading the barrel for another choke system down the road.
I’ve got a buddy running TSS #9s through the provided full and getting some solid patterns. Like I said before, I had mine rethreaded for Invector Plus by Rob Roberts Custom Gun Works and I’m happy with what I’m getting now. As I’ve said in a previous thread, I bought the CZ 1012 expecting it to be threaded for Mobil chokes as their 12ga has been in the past. When I realized that wasn’t the case I started contacting folks. I contacted all the major choke manufacturers from Kicks to Indian Creek to Sumtoy and I wound up making the decision I did based off their responses. Sumtoy did tell me that they could make me a choke if I sent them the barrel. I think those are the two best bets, 1) rethread for invector plus, 2) send to a great choke company like Sumtoy and have them make a choke to fit the current threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brilley  made me a custom choke for my Browning Sweet 16. It has a DS choke system, no aftermarket turkey chokes available. They did a great job for 90 bucks. Patterns great. Another option. Good luck....
“Solo hunter”

Offline Missouri hunter

• Sterling Custom Calls
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2021, 05:29:01 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/quote]Brilley  made me a custom choke for my Browning Sweet 16. It has a DS choke system, no aftermarket turkey chokes available. They did a great job for 90 bucks. Patterns great. Another option. Good luck....
[/quote]

Thanks for the recommendation. I have been looking at Briley but didn’t know much about them. I might end up trying that.
Sterling Custom Calls, making handcrafted box and trough calls.

Offline DarthspacenVader

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2022, 12:52:54 PM »
I just had my first successful turkey hunt with my CZ 1012 and had issues with it not cycling 3" Federal TSS 7-9 turkey shot. Sounds like I'm not alone in this. I sent a message to CZ about it and I'm hoping to hear of a solution/reason. I'll post their response when I receive it.

Also, for those of you looking for a choke for the CZ 1012, patternmaster makes turkey, goose, and several others. I bought and used their turkey choke and I am very happy with it.

Offline tomcat11-64

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2022, 08:53:16 AM »
I am very fond of my Benelli M2 12ga with pistol grip stock and 21" barrel.
You can get the 20ga with a 24" barrel and the pistol grip stock will fit.
Don't know your budget but might give them a look.
"Buy once Cry once".

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2022, 08:00:38 PM »
It was mentioned on here once about the Retay turkey XT models and the Stoeger M3020-both are great guns. I have an M3020 and will prolly be getting a Retay. Retay is puttin out the Gordion 20 gauge model with a 22" bbl.& pistol grip next year. Also changing up some camo patterns on the Masai Mara line.

Offline Ranman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2022, 08:41:35 AM »
Franchi Affinity 3 is what I hunt with now. I shoot TSS 1 5/8 handloads through Carlson’s .575 choke, and it is at least a 40yd gun all day long. Before I got my Franchi, I used a Remington 870 20ga. Killed several Birds with it and still take it out a few times during the season. If I were looking today, I would also look at the Stoeger.
Randy

Offline Jstocks

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2022, 10:02:24 AM »
I currently have a 1988 1300 NWTF 12ga for my turkey gun. I’m thinking about adding another option that would keep some of the wear and tear off the old gun. I’m considering a 20ga, maybe a Franchi Affinity 3. I never really thought I’d go with a semi-auto but I’m wanting a nice slim lighter gun 24-26” barrel. If anyone has any suggestions on a really great pump I’d take those as well. Just looking for something slightly better than average. I looked at a CZ 1012 but the choke system is incapable with any aftermarket choke systems, so that’s a no go for me.
Thanks!

I’ve set up 10+ turkey guns over the past several years. All for shooting tss. Here’s my thoughts:

(1) my personal preference is the original Benelli 20 gauge camo montefeltro. If concerned about the Benelli click and you can’t fathom in your mind that it’s your responsibility to shove the bolt closed and keep it there….put a stiff spring in it and you don’t have to worry about it. These guns fit the slim category you say you want….they are simple to clean and operate….and there’s very little that can go wrong with them. They are hard to find and command a premium when you do. Keep in mind some European guns don’t like to feed longer length shells, so be aware up front that you’ll need to shoot shells loaded within the Over All Length capacity of the gun.

(2) for a gun that shoots well, has a lot of historical data on chokes/load combos, and has endless capabilities for customization…..Remington 870 youth model with a 21” barrel. Economic choice, shoots good, and plenty of data to get started on chokes and loads.

(3) browning micro Midas BPS youth……they are shooters.

Stay away from gas guns if you ever plan on doing handloads and powder changes, etc….. the capability on gas autoloaders to cause you issues with powders designed for pistols and other uses is there. You can overgas one, even with “proven” recipes.