OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: New turkey gun recommendations  (Read 7878 times)

Offline Missouri hunter

• Sterling Custom Calls
Re: New turkey gun recommendations
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2021, 08:41:58 PM »
I currently have a 1988 1300 NWTF 12ga for my turkey gun. I’m thinking about adding another option that would keep some of the wear and tear off the old gun. I’m considering a 20ga, maybe a Franchi Affinity 3. I never really thought I’d go with a semi-auto but I’m wanting a nice slim lighter gun 24-26” barrel. If anyone has any suggestions on a really great pump I’d take those as well. Just looking for something slightly better than average. I looked at a CZ 1012 but the choke system is incapable with any aftermarket choke systems, so that’s a no go for me.
Thanks!
I’ve got a 1012 that was rethreaded for Invector Plus for the reason you list, but just an update that if you look at Indian Creek’s website now they’re listing a choke for the 1012. It’s honestly a hell of an action. I’d think about that a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you had any trouble with crimped 3” shells? Cycling some ammo through 1012 manually at the house federal grand slam and long beard (both longer crimped shells) are getting hung up, not wanting to come up to the bolt face. Regular super x, double x and Remington nitro are going through manually just fine.
I haven’t shot anything yet but it’s not looking good for the longer crimped shells.
Sterling Custom Calls, making handcrafted box and trough calls.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2021, 08:51:33 PM »
I currently have a 1988 1300 NWTF 12ga for my turkey gun. I’m thinking about adding another option that would keep some of the wear and tear off the old gun. I’m considering a 20ga, maybe a Franchi Affinity 3. I never really thought I’d go with a semi-auto but I’m wanting a nice slim lighter gun 24-26” barrel. If anyone has any suggestions on a really great pump I’d take those as well. Just looking for something slightly better than average. I looked at a CZ 1012 but the choke system is incapable with any aftermarket choke systems, so that’s a no go for me.
Thanks!
I’ve got a 1012 that was rethreaded for Invector Plus for the reason you list, but just an update that if you look at Indian Creek’s website now they’re listing a choke for the 1012. It’s honestly a hell of an action. I’d think about that a little.

Have you had any trouble with crimped 3” shells? Cycling some ammo through 1012 manually at the house federal grand slam and long beard (both longer crimped shells) are getting hung up, not wanting to come up to the bolt face. Regular super x, double x and Remington nitro are going through manually just fine.
I haven’t shot anything yet but it’s not looking good for the longer crimped shells.
I haven’t encountered any cycling issues at all. Run everything from 2.3/4 clay shells to 3” Long Beards. As far as turkey loads I’ve just shot 3” Long Beards, 3” Hevi 13, 3” Win. Double X, and 3” Win. Super X Turkey.

Offline Missouri hunter

• Sterling Custom Calls
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2021, 10:39:35 PM »
I see. The long beards might work when actually shooting but I have my doubts about the federal grand slam. Just spent awhile trying to get them out after being jammed tight.

Offline birdman67

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2021, 08:50:25 PM »
I began turkey hunting with a Browning BPS with a Trulock choke. It took down a number of birds for me and if you are looking for a good pump, I would highly recommend it.
By the way, I now use a CZ Over/Under Turkey Reaper. It’s not a pump but man will it put them down.
Loving God's Creation!

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2021, 05:38:46 PM »
I like the Weatherby SA-459 turkey or the Tristar G2 turkey.  Those would be on my list.

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2021, 09:53:20 PM »
Sweet spot is a 28ga O/U. ~5#, two hammers and two triggers for reliability and will throw enough TSS to do everything you need and then some. 20ga almost as good.

Offline Missouri hunter

• Sterling Custom Calls
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2021, 04:52:27 PM »
Unfortunately the Indian creek 0009 does not fit the Cz 1012. I called Indian Creek after the choke wouldn’t fit my gun and they called Cz. The 1012 is proprietary to Cz and I’m out of luck for aftermarket chokes, unless I go custom.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2021, 05:02:13 PM »
Unfortunately the Indian creek 0009 does not fit the Cz 1012. I called Indian Creek after the choke wouldn’t fit my gun and they called Cz. The 1012 is proprietary to Cz and I’m out of luck for aftermarket chokes, unless I go custom.
That would’ve flat infuriated me. Sorry you’re having to deal with it. Why in the world would they list it without knowing?!?

Online crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2021, 05:50:47 PM »

Trulock and Carlsons offer chokes for CZ/Hugla

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2021, 05:53:37 PM »

Trulock and Carlsons offer chokes for CZ/Hugla
It’s not the same threading.

Offline Missouri hunter

• Sterling Custom Calls
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2021, 06:07:17 PM »
Yeah, I’m not real happy about it. Indian creek will take the choke back and refund me but man I was really excited about it. I guess I’ll just have to see what the full choke will do with turkey loads for now and look into a custom choke or threading the barrel for another choke system down the road.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2021, 06:18:16 PM »
Yeah, I’m not real happy about it. Indian creek will take the choke back and refund me but man I was really excited about it. I guess I’ll just have to see what the full choke will do with turkey loads for now and look into a custom choke or threading the barrel for another choke system down the road.
I’ve got a buddy running TSS #9s through the provided full and getting some solid patterns. Like I said before, I had mine rethreaded for Invector Plus by Rob Roberts Custom Gun Works and I’m happy with what I’m getting now. As I’ve said in a previous thread, I bought the CZ 1012 expecting it to be threaded for Mobil chokes as their 12ga has been in the past. When I realized that wasn’t the case I started contacting folks. I contacted all the major choke manufacturers from Kicks to Indian Creek to Sumtoy and I wound up making the decision I did based off their responses. Sumtoy did tell me that they could make me a choke if I sent them the barrel. I think those are the two best bets, 1) rethread for invector plus, 2) send to a great choke company like Sumtoy and have them make a choke to fit the current threads.

Offline Missouri hunter

• Sterling Custom Calls
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2021, 07:46:47 PM »
I’ve got a buddy running TSS #9s through the provided full and getting some solid patterns. Like I said before, I had mine rethreaded for Invector Plus by Rob Roberts Custom Gun Works and I’m happy with what I’m getting now. As I’ve said in a previous thread, I bought the CZ 1012 expecting it to be threaded for Mobil chokes as their 12ga has been in the past. When I realized that wasn’t the case I started contacting folks. I contacted all the major choke manufacturers from Kicks to Indian Creek to Sumtoy and I wound up making the decision I did based off their responses. Sumtoy did tell me that they could make me a choke if I sent them the barrel. I think those are the two best bets, 1) rethread for invector plus, 2) send to a great choke company like Sumtoy and have them make a choke to fit the current threads.

Yes I think I’ll try some lead 5s and 6s and see what they’ll do with the full choke and then maybe Hevi 7s. I don’t know if I can spend the $ for tss. I’ll have to see how the gun runs as well. I’d hate to waste the 5 chokes it comes with. I also want to wing shoot with this gun so that’ll be fun.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2021, 07:54:06 PM »

Yes I think I’ll try some lead 5s and 6s and see what they’ll do with the full choke and then maybe Hevi 7s. I don’t know if I can spend the $ for tss. I’ll have to see how the gun runs as well. I’d hate to waste the 5 chokes it comes with. I also want to wing shoot with this gun so that’ll be fun.
That buddy that’s running the TSS is a much better and more active wing shooter than me and he’s loved it for that. He’s a big duck hunter and used it a lot this season. I think you’ll love it for that. Shoulders great. And, yeah, the TSS is so high it might be worth just holding off till end of season (taking close 30 and under shots with lead #5s till then) and then using that money to send the barrel off to Sumtoy for them to make you a good turkey choke for next year.

Offline Missouri hunter

• Sterling Custom Calls
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2021, 09:44:48 PM »
I look forward to shooting it. It’s been cold and nasty all week here in MO, but I might go to an indoor range tomorrow.
I really like the feel of it. Thanks for the help.