OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: New turkey gun recommendations  (Read 7879 times)

Offline Missouri hunter

• Sterling Custom Calls
New turkey gun recommendations
« on: February 05, 2021, 11:01:50 AM »
I currently have a 1988 1300 NWTF 12ga for my turkey gun. I’m thinking about adding another option that would keep some of the wear and tear off the old gun. I’m considering a 20ga, maybe a Franchi Affinity 3. I never really thought I’d go with a semi-auto but I’m wanting a nice slim lighter gun 24-26” barrel. If anyone has any suggestions on a really great pump I’d take those as well. Just looking for something slightly better than average. I looked at a CZ 1012 but the choke system is incapable with any aftermarket choke systems, so that’s a no go for me.
Thanks!
Sterling Custom Calls, making handcrafted box and trough calls.

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
Re: New turkey gun recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 11:19:01 AM »
If I were doing a 20ga I'd have myself this!

Benelli Performance Shop

MK M GOBL

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 11:21:18 AM »
I currently have a 1988 1300 NWTF 12ga for my turkey gun. I’m thinking about adding another option that would keep some of the wear and tear off the old gun. I’m considering a 20ga, maybe a Franchi Affinity 3. I never really thought I’d go with a semi-auto but I’m wanting a nice slim lighter gun 24-26” barrel. If anyone has any suggestions on a really great pump I’d take those as well. Just looking for something slightly better than average. I looked at a CZ 1012 but the choke system is incapable with any aftermarket choke systems, so that’s a no go for me.
Thanks!
I’ve got a 1012 that was rethreaded for Invector Plus for the reason you list, but just an update that if you look at Indian Creek’s website now they’re listing a choke for the 1012. It’s honestly a hell of an action. I’d think about that a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ozarks Hillbilly

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 11:34:48 AM »
Franchi has a purpose built 20ga turkey gun available now.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline Missouri hunter

• Sterling Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 11:36:09 AM »
Thanks for letting me know that Indian creek picked up the 1012. I didn’t find it in my research. Maybe I’ll look again. My local gun shop as one in original bottomland.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 11:44:45 AM »
Thanks for letting me know that Indian creek picked up the 1012. I didn’t find it in my research. Maybe I’ll look again. My local gun shop as one in original bottomland.
It’s listed as the #0009 option under 12ga with a .670 constriction. Bet it would be mean. At the time I had my work done there were no options. I don’t regret having it rethreaded but it forced me to put about $100 into the gun I would’ve rather spent otherwise. My only complaints with CZ (which I love, owning everything from pistols to three shotguns) is that they moved away from Mobil chokes, which is how their 12ga had been traditionally threaded, and that they only offered the gun in one barrel length. They made it as an overall bird gun, hence the length, and it’s a damn good shouldering and wing shooting gun. They just didn’t seem to think through the aftermarket choke situation and the potential sale to turkey hunters. Great action, though, at a great price. If you wing shoot at all and aren’t married to the idea of a shorter barrel on a turkey gun I’d recommend it, especially now that these IC are available. I imagine we’ll see more chokes now, and if the other guns they list on that #0009 have the same threads then honestly those chokes already exist and the companies just haven’t been made aware to market them as such. Plenty of after market Beretta A400 chokes available.

Offline Missouri hunter

• Sterling Custom Calls
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 12:19:20 PM »
It’s listed as the #0009 option under 12ga with a .670 constriction. Bet it would be mean. At the time I had my work done there were no options. I don’t regret having it rethreaded but it forced me to put about $100 into the gun I would’ve rather spent otherwise. My only complaints with CZ (which I love, owning everything from pistols to three shotguns) is that they moved away from Mobil chokes, which is how their 12ga had been traditionally threaded, and that they only offered the gun in one barrel length. They made it as an overall bird gun, hence the length, and it’s a damn good shouldering and wing shooting gun. They just didn’t seem to think through the aftermarket choke situation and the potential sale to turkey hunters. Great action, though, at a great price. If you wing shoot at all and aren’t married to the idea of a shorter barrel on a turkey gun I’d recommend it, especially now that these IC are available. I imagine we’ll see more chokes now, and if the other guns they list on that #0009 have the same threads then honestly those chokes already exist and the companies just haven’t been made aware to market them as such. Plenty of after market Beretta A400 chokes available.

Thanks for the info! It’s definitely helpful. I really liked the feel of the gun and love the bottomland camo. Indian creek is the choke I want to try on whatever I end up with but after talking to you it will probably be the 1012. I really don’t mind staying with a 12ga or a longer barrel.

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 12:43:23 PM »
Love my little Weatherby SA459 in 20 gauge.  I have seen some other pretty sweet setups on here too.  The thing I like best, it is a turkey only gun, so I set it in the safe at the end of the year, and pick it back up the next year.  No choke changing, no sighting it in.  I have a bird hunting 20 and a turkey hunting 20.  Conserves on ammo and time.  Find one you like and have fun.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 12:50:09 PM »

Thanks for the info! It’s definitely helpful. I really liked the feel of the gun and love the bottomland camo. Indian creek is the choke I want to try on whatever I end up with but after talking to you it will probably be the 1012. I really don’t mind staying with a 12ga or a longer barrel.
Might be worth sending a quick email to IC just to double check but they most certainly list it and if that’s right it opens up a lot of options. Last thing I’ll add is that the barrel is over-bored pretty heavy at .742 same as most Brownings so that .670 really should pattern incredibly well out of it.

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2021, 01:11:39 PM »
Thanks!

Love those NWTF 1300’s. What choke and shell combo do you shoot with it. I use a Jebbs .655. Shoots Hevi-13 #5, and Longbeard 5’s real nice. Best of luck on your new turkey build....
“Solo hunter”

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2021, 01:13:11 PM »
If I were going to 20gauge, I`d give a serious look at the RETAY guns. In looking at their site, they apparently have a series of 20s available in a number of camo patterns. Also, as a brand, they have good reviews on ShotgunWorld.

A buddy of mine has a Stoeger 3020 that he seems to like a lot as well.

Offline Missouri hunter

• Sterling Custom Calls
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2021, 04:14:40 PM »
Thanks!

Love those NWTF 1300’s. What choke and shell combo do you shoot with it. I use a Jebbs .655. Shoots Hevi-13 #5, and Longbeard 5’s real nice. Best of luck on your new turkey build....

Some of the best turkey guns ever made! I had good results with Long Bread and a Pure Gold .670. They went 140-150 in 10” with number 5 shot, but I ended up giving up on them as they weren’t consistent box to box... I now have a Carlson.660 in it and I’ve got a couple good patterns to 40yds. Double x 5s and federal 6s are both working. I’m running close to the 90 in 10” with the 5s and 100 with the 6s.
Good hunting patterns for me though.

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2021, 05:31:15 PM »
Thanks!

Thank you, good luck with your new build.....

Some of the best turkey guns ever made! I had good results with Long Bread and a Pure Gold .670. They went 140-150 in 10” with number 5 shot, but I ended up giving up on them as they weren’t consistent box to box... I now have a Carlson.660 in it and I’ve got a couple good patterns to 40yds. Double x 5s and federal 6s are both working. I’m running close to the 90 in 10” with the 5s and 100 with the 6s.
Good hunting patterns for me though.
“Solo hunter”

Offline Missouri hunter

• Sterling Custom Calls
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2021, 02:52:08 PM »
Update for anyone interested. I went with the Cz 1012. Should be a good all purpose gun for me. I’ve ordered the Indian Creek .670 for turkeys. My 1300 win will still be used good weather days!

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2021, 05:07:19 PM »
Update for anyone interested. I went with the Cz 1012. Should be a good all purpose gun for me. I’ve ordered the Indian Creek .670 for turkeys. My 1300 win will still be used good weather days!

Good luck, post pattern pics....
“Solo hunter”