OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Need help with Hawaii? Military family moving.  (Read 4678 times)

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
Need help with Hawaii? Military family moving.
« on: February 05, 2021, 10:37:42 AM »
We're leaving Mississippi this summer going to Hawaii.

I understand no turkey hunting on the main island. I'll have to fly to a different island to hunt turkeys.

I know I have to register my firearms with the police dept.

Any advice on how to hunt public on the other islands? You can PM if you like.

Thanks for your time.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
Re: Need help with Hawaii? Military family moving.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 10:03:32 PM »
I have hunted turkeys there once about three years ago, and I know several others on here have, as well.  I am certainly no expert, but here are my thoughts.

You can hunt turkeys on the "big island" and if I am not mistaken, one other.  We hunted the big island.  In my research, I found out that, although there are quite a few public areas, only a few allow turkey hunting.  Do your research on that if you are planning on hunting public land. 

We did not try to obtain permission to hunt any private properties, but I suspect there are folks on the island that would let you hunt if you could track them down.  If you are going to be over there for an extended stay, that might be worth your while to look into.

I don't think that turkey hunting has caught on with the locals much, but I also believe more and more  "mainlanders" are making the trip over to hunt there.  Nevertheless, I think the spring harvest is pretty minimal as a whole.  I think some of the public areas are beginning to get hit pretty hard in more recent years. however. 

The gun registration process and the hunting license process is a bit more complicated than I would have liked, but again, if you are going to be there for a while, you should be able to get that sorted out easily enough.  Anybody that might be going over there for a short trip would certainly want to look into the specifics on both of those beforehand. 

Since you seem to indicate that you will be there for a while, and I would assume that your timeframe will include at least one spring season, I have little doubt that you will be able to locate some good public land areas to hunt,...and possibly some private land opportunities, as well.  It sounds to me like you are in for some good turkey hunting if you really look for it.  It is a unique opportunity in a really spectacular setting!   :icon_thumright:

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 10:00:52 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

I've looked online and the main island closed the season to turkey hunting. They are hoping the population will increase.

We have orders for 3 years. So 2022 will be my first spring to hunt. Hopefully I'll have it figured out by then.

I'm trying to contact members in the NWTF Hawaii chapters.

I need all the help I can get.
Thanks

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 11:01:56 AM »
Interesting.  After seeing your comment about the closure, I tried to find something online myself about this,...looked for a while in several places and could not find anything at all about them closing the season.  One would think that they would have that pretty clearly indicated on the Hawaii DNR hunting site, but I sure didn't see it. 

...Not doubting your word on it, just stating that it is strange that they wouldn't have something pretty obvious about it online.  Then again, i remember when we went over there that they really didn't seem to have their sh*t together on pretty much everything related to hunting, so I guess I shouldn't be a bit surprised.   :(

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 11:26:23 AM »
Interesting.  After seeing your comment about the closure, I tried to find something online myself about this,...looked for a while in several places and could not find anything at all about them closing the season.  One would think that they would have that pretty clearly indicated on the Hawaii DNR hunting site, but I sure didn't see it. 

...Not doubting your word on it, just stating that it is strange that they wouldn't have something pretty obvious about it online.  Then again, i remember when we went over there that they really didn't seem to have their sh*t together on pretty much everything related to hunting, so I guess I shouldn't be a bit surprised.   :(

https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/blog/2020/02/18/nr20-022/

Last years info. They haven't posted this years. They did extend the hunting season because of Covid19.

I sent an email to the dlnr asking questions.

The site is not as user friendly as the other states I have tried.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 12:30:09 PM »
Geez, I must be a total idiot (no comments from the peanut gallery  ;D ) because I see nothing on that linked site that says anything about the 2021 spring season.  Again, not doubting you,...especially if you contacted the DNR directly about it.  However, I am still flabbergasted that the Hawaii DNR does not have the 2021 closure clearly posted online somewhere.

I am betting there are a few folks that are planning on going over there to hunt this spring,...and have probably already made travel arrangements,...that have no clue that they have closed their spring season down!   :o

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 02:54:51 PM »
Geez, I must be a total idiot (no comments from the peanut gallery  ;D ) because I see nothing on that linked site that says anything about the 2021 spring season.  Again, not doubting you,...especially if you contacted the DNR directly about it.  However, I am still flabbergasted that the Hawaii DNR does not have the 2021 closure clearly posted online somewhere.

I am betting there are a few folks that are planning on going over there to hunt this spring,...and have probably already made travel arrangements,...that have no clue that they have closed their spring season down!   :o

The site doesn't mention the 2021 Spring season yet. I stated above it was the old 2020 turkey season. It has the islands that you can hunt turkey on.
I also said they extended the 2020 season not closed it. There is an article on there website saying the resources could sustain it.

I have sent emails to the DNR, they have not responded yet.

Seems like there are outfitters on Hawaii and they may be on the main land and can hunt turkey, not sure. I was focused on Public land..

I guess I'm confused we will be living on Oahu, no turkey hunting there. The main island of Hilo has the turkey hunting. I will have to fly there.

Thanks for looking into it.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 03:04:25 PM by ShootingABN! »

Offline Mossyguy

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2021, 04:56:26 PM »
I was stationed there in the mid 90’s and traveled to the Big Island for training quite a bit. Saw quite a few turkeys on Parker Ranch I believe. Didn’t get to hunt them as I was always gone...and this info helps you in no way whatsoever..lol.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2021, 05:50:36 PM »
Just for clarification, although all of the islands together are called the Hawaiian Islands, the largest, southern island of the chain is "Hawaii", also called "the big island".  That is also the primary island where most of the turkey hunting occurs, I believe, although I also have heard that one of the other islands has turkeys, and perhaps some hunting there, as well,...don't know for sure. 

Parker Ranch, which is the most well known private property that caters to turkey hunters, is located in the northwest quadrant of the big island of Hawaii.  From what I have heard, if you want to just pay someone your hard-earned money to essentially buy a turkey, Parker Ranch is the place to go.  If you want to save your money and actually go turkey "hunting" to test your turkey hunting skills, then, assuming that they have not closed the season as suggested above, hunt some of the public areas that are open on the big island. 

...Hope this clarifies some of the confusion.

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2021, 08:37:11 PM »
Just for clarification, although all of the islands together are called the Hawaiian Islands, the largest, southern island of the chain is "Hawaii", also called "the big island".  That is also the primary island where most of the turkey hunting occurs, I believe, although I also have heard that one of the other islands has turkeys, and perhaps some hunting there, as well,...don't know for sure. 

Parker Ranch, which is the most well known private property that caters to turkey hunters, is located in the northwest quadrant of the big island of Hawaii.  From what I have heard, if you want to just pay someone your hard-earned money to essentially buy a turkey, Parker Ranch is the place to go.  If you want to save your money and actually go turkey "hunting" to test your turkey hunting skills, then, assuming that they have not closed the season as suggested above, hunt some of the public areas that are open on the big island. 

...Hope this clarifies some of the confusion.

Yes Sir,

I'm hoping I can hunt the Public land. Not interested in hunting the Ranches. Hoping someone can give some tips on getting from the Island I'll be living on to the Big Island that I can hunt on. Thanks.

Offline NCL

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2021, 12:04:43 PM »
I lived in Hawaii for thirteen years and can tell you from experience that going just about anywhere in or from requires an airplane ride. When I lived there I do not believe there were an turkeys, if there were it was probably only on the Big Island (Hawaii). I only hunted one time and that was for chukar. I also lived on Oahu.

Offline derek

• The Boss Gobbler
    • The Bayside Legion
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2021, 02:55:41 PM »
The news release for the 2020 season did not come out until February 18th last year.   They don't seem to put information out too far in advance, and they're definitely behind the times in being able to get information out period, particularly via the internet.    I know other people planning on hunting the big island this year, I'm going out on a limb and saying there will be a season, and a news release coming out within the next few weeks.

Public hunting on 3 areas on the big island, Unit A, F and G.  We hunted there last year and our group hunted and killed birds on each area, although it was a lot tougher than I expected to find birds on public.  Very easy to find them on private!  I thought Florida was the most extreme place, as in the difference between public turkeys and private turkeys until I drove around the Parker Ranch! 

I can't help you on island hopping, we stayed in Kona on the big island the entire time, but I did see plenty of island hopper packages advertised when we were looking at non-turkey hunting things to do.

If you haven't already seen them.. we have 6 episodes from our Hawaii hunts last spring that I think would be really helpful if you're looking for what to expect terrain wise.  I know we say it a lot on the videos.. but be careful on that volcano rock!  It is brutal, will ruin good boots and your ankles!  I miss it there. 

https://youtu.be/dII3spIv3mQ

Offline avidnwoutdoorsman

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2021, 02:13:02 AM »
Hawaii is very behind the times in some sense and does very little to manage game birds. The last time they updated their reg pamphlet was 2015.... So you can assume its business as usual in 2021. For spring Turkey on the big island the season is March 1 - April 15. Big island you need an extra turkey permit. They will post if its closed but otherwise it's open. I too am missing where you are saying its closed. Is ther confusion because it doesn't clearly say its opened? The "main" island or Oahu is not opened for turkey. They are there.... I went and found them for fun... but you can't hunt them. That you are correct that they are hoping they come back for a hunt.

Island hoping is easy and would tell you to use Mokulele Airlines for most islands. They fly out of Kapolei and the main airport. You don't have to do "all" the TSA mumbo jumbo with them because its literally a private flight type thing but cheap cuz its a locals gig. You can ferry between Maui, Lanai, and Molokai. I'm confused though if you are on Hawaii Island or Oahu as most the bases are on Oahu.

Big island is where you want to hunt birds on public. You can hunt turkeys on Hawaii, Lana'i, Molaka'i, and Maui-private only.

Go Axis deer hunting. Best eats there is in the world game wise. Everyone talks about Lanai which is a fun hunt.... but broaden your horizons there are as good or better islands to hunt them on.

Feral goat hunting is a fun way to pass the time on Oahu.... and fishing. Some of if not the best bone fishing in the world is in Hawaii. I dont know why everyone goes to the keys to catch dinks. Being as your military.... you have access to the best flats that get way less pressure.

PM me if you want more details.....or aske them publicly because I'm confused after reading through your post and digging through there sites.

What base are you going to? Cuz I can google that to figure out your island... or town?
Are you saying Oahu aka the Main island is closed for turkey or the Big Island Hawaii?

Regs:
https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/dofaw/files/2013/09/HAR-122-Game-Birds.pdf
Keep Calm and Gobble On!

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2021, 10:53:04 AM »
Hawaii is very behind the times in some sense and does very little to manage game birds. The last time they updated their reg pamphlet was 2015.... So you can assume its business as usual in 2021. For spring Turkey on the big island the season is March 1 - April 15. Big island you need an extra turkey permit. They will post if its closed but otherwise it's open. I too am missing where you are saying its closed. Is ther confusion because it doesn't clearly say its opened? The "main" island or Oahu is not opened for turkey. They are there.... I went and found them for fun... but you can't hunt them. That you are correct that they are hoping they come back for a hunt.

Island hoping is easy and would tell you to use Mokulele Airlines for most islands. They fly out of Kapolei and the main airport. You don't have to do "all" the TSA mumbo jumbo with them because its literally a private flight type thing but cheap cuz its a locals gig. You can ferry between Maui, Lanai, and Molokai. I'm confused though if you are on Hawaii Island or Oahu as most the bases are on Oahu.

Big island is where you want to hunt birds on public. You can hunt turkeys on Hawaii, Lana'i, Molaka'i, and Maui-private only.

Go Axis deer hunting. Best eats there is in the world game wise. Everyone talks about Lanai which is a fun hunt.... but broaden your horizons there are as good or better islands to hunt them on.

Feral goat hunting is a fun way to pass the time on Oahu.... and fishing. Some of if not the best bone fishing in the world is in Hawaii. I dont know why everyone goes to the keys to catch dinks. Being as your military.... you have access to the best flats that get way less pressure.

PM me if you want more details.....or aske them publicly because I'm confused after reading through your post and digging through there sites.

What base are you going to? Cuz I can google that to figure out your island... or town?
Are you saying Oahu aka the Main island is closed for turkey or the Big Island Hawaii?

Regs:
https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/dofaw/files/2013/09/HAR-122-Game-Birds.pdf

Yes I was confused as to what the islands are called and where we will be. I think I have it figured out though. We will be stationed on Joint base Pearl Harbor - Hickam on Oahu. My understanding you can't hunt the turkeys on Oahu? I will have to fly to the Big Island to hunt turkey correct?

Thanks for your help. I will for sure PM you once we get there.

Offline avidnwoutdoorsman

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2021, 11:25:36 AM »
Ya, them flats there at Hickam are some of the best for Oio fishing. You gotta be on base or have a buddy on base to fish'm. You a lucky dude.

You cannot hunt turkey on Oahu, correct, but you can some other bird species, feral goat, and feral pig.

You can hunt turkey on Hawaii, Maui-Private Only, Lanai, and Molokai islands. Hawaii has the best opportunity for Public Land turkey hunting.

If you ever go to Molokai get the hot bread in town.... crazy cool island and probably my favorite. I dont think there is one traffic light on the island. They supposedly dont take kind to the Hoale folks, but that was never been the case for me.

Travel Safe
Keep Calm and Gobble On!