OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Pot Call Advice/Recommendations  (Read 5456 times)

Offline HunterS5

Re: Pot Call Advice/Recommendations
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2021, 11:15:43 AM »
Is there a place to find websites or contact info for all of these call makers? Some of them I have figured out by seeing the classifieds, but many of them have a handle different from their name. Google searches are hit and miss.

Thanks!

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2021, 11:42:16 AM »
Currently I do only have the one crystal pot. Honestly, I do appreciate all the feedback, I’m sure guys get tired of answering the same ole questions. It does get tough when you are looking at all the options, and everyone’s ear is different, so completely understand it is all subject to opinion and we all know how that goes. I’m going to look though all the recommendations. Ultimately, I would just like to get a good call and support some smaller builders that take pride in their work. Oh yeah, and kill some birds. Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder this may or may not be a consideration? I’m sure everyone here is giving their best recommendations. It might be confusing as no one seems to perfectly agree but all the calls mentioned could be or are good. I remember when I first started this forum it seemed everyone’s idea conflicted another. I’ve notice certain guys ears are way different than mine. Try n find someone who likes calls exactly like your ear does and perhaps lean more toward their recommendations. If someone varies quite a bit understand that call may not suit you. If some recommends a call for instance see if the maker has a sound file or you tube available. Listen to it. Remember too and imo this is important, all the sound files you hear even ones from a maker I’m aware of aren’t run the way I would. That particular maker I believe builds a call a lot better than he runs one. Most makers are great callers too so take some advice from the guys, listen to the calls. Remember who recommended them as similar to you. In the future you’ll want that. If you can though listen to em all and even better if you get to run em.

Offline turkeyfool

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2021, 03:52:44 PM »
Mike Yingling and Paul Hicks are two guys that I've gotten a few pots from recently. They both do a killer job. Good guys to talk to, ship in solid packaging and they answer whenever you have questions or a follow up. There are some other guys who make a heck of a glass or crystal pot for nearly double the price, but Paul's sound every bit as good

Offline Spyder

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2021, 06:35:36 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I did contact Buster, seems like a heck of a nice guy. He’s going to fix me up. I’ll post some pics once I get it. Like I said before, thanks for all the advice, I do appreciate it.

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2021, 07:47:13 AM »
All great suggestions.
I would also mention Travis Wyatt (twyatt). He builds an excellent call at a very reasonable price.

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2021, 10:02:36 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I did contact Buster, seems like a heck of a nice guy. He’s going to fix me up. I’ll post some pics once I get it. Like I said before, thanks for all the advice, I do appreciate it.

I ordered a red slate on persimmon from Buster last week.  He's great!
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline PALongspur

• Longbeard
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2021, 11:07:57 AM »
Mark Cornelius

Nuff said

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2021, 11:29:45 AM »
Two pots that are priced really low but sound awesome are made by Hooks custom calls. Both are in a Mike Batty pot which can be had in either gray slate or glass for 20 or 25 each. You won't break the bank and still have a great sounding pot call for your vest. The sound from either is worth more than they ask for the call.
I purchased these for my son based on your recommendation and they are good calls.  My son that’s learning how to call can work that slate really well.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2021, 11:51:12 AM »
My suggestion also stick with custom call builders, you will be a lot happier with them in the long run, than production calls or mast produce calls.. You made good choice going with Buster for pot call. I rather have one good custom call than 2 or 3 calls that cost 35 dollar's or less..

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2021, 01:08:00 PM »
My suggestion also stick with custom call builders, you will be a lot happier with them in the long run, than production calls or mast produce calls.. You made good choice going with Buster for pot call. I rather have one good custom call than 2 or 3 calls that cost 35 dollar's or less..
Let me rephrase.  I told my 16 year old son to purchase these calls.  He’s bad about losing stuff. 

Offline DocHolliday

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2021, 02:04:38 PM »
John Sinclair-ABY they’re all good! I run ebony/titanium.

Offline ManfromGreenSwamp

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
Pot Call Advice/Recommendations
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2021, 02:07:00 PM »
x10 for Buster green in a persimmon pot

EDIT: just realized you went buster! Great choice

“First one to the carcass gets the most”
-T.Farley

“I’m livin ta rest, I was born tired”
-B.Button

Offline TalknTurkey

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2021, 11:37:57 AM »
For a green slate, my vote would go to Mark Cornelius in a walnut pot

Offline Crghss

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2021, 09:06:03 PM »
Hope you love your Buster green slate as much as love my red slate in persimmon pot.

I have his glass pot also, great calls.

Good choice, enjoy.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...