OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Give a 14 year old 4 mintues?  (Read 3534 times)

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
Re: Give a 14 year old 4 mintues?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2021, 12:23:59 PM »
I really had not listened to the video until just now.   I agree 4 is the best.   I think with more practice and me not telling him he can’t ask people to listen to a 20 minute video he will be able to run them all really well!   Funny thing,  I probably had 25 calls and he wanted to put them all in the video  :) :) :) :)

But,  you know what at this point,  I thrive on seeing that youthful excitement when it comes to a young person wanted to learn,  explore and hunt.

Thank God for that. He’s doing very well

Offline WTNUT

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2021, 04:30:59 PM »
Thanks to all who listened.   J.D. just stopped by after school and he is now the proud owner of a 1995 or 1996 Cody grey slate pot call.   I liked that one a lot,  and it is easy to run.   Thanks again to each of you!!!!!

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2021, 06:19:36 PM »
Without reading anyone else's reply I will say probably call #3.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2021, 06:22:24 PM »
And thas just listening to the tone of the call alone. I think that's the one I would suggest to start practicing on. He still sounds better than some of the folks I have heard.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2021, 06:24:22 PM »
Congrats to him

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2021, 10:04:25 PM »
I liked 4 as well, I think he just started getting in tune with his cadence. You can tell that all of them would work. That’s great of you to do that to get someone started on the right path. Kudos to you!!!

Offline WTNUT

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2021, 10:45:15 PM »
I liked 4 as well, I think he just started getting in tune with his cadence. You can tell that all of them would work. That’s great of you to do that to get someone started on the right path. Kudos to you!!!

It is the least I can do to give back.  Hunting kept me out of trouble while young and dumb.  You can’t get in too much trouble before 10PM - last minute bedtime for a turkey hunter!  I just wish I was a better friction caller to help JD and others out.   I was always a better than average ( some say damn good ) caller with diaphragm call so I never had an interest in anything that required hand movement until a couple years ago. 

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2021, 04:49:55 AM »

It is the least I can do to give back.  Hunting kept me out of trouble while young and dumb.  You can’t get in too much trouble before 10PM - last minute bedtime for a turkey hunter!  I just wish I was a better friction caller to help JD and others out.   I was always a better than average ( some say damn good ) caller with diaphragm call so I never had an interest in anything that required hand movement until a couple years ago.
Hunting and fishing has kept me out of trouble also. It has even worked with my 2 boys so far ( fingers crossed) hope it continues which I think it will. My buddy used to have a bumper sticker that said kids that hunt, fish and trap don’t go around and mug little old ladies. The outdoors is a wonderful lifestyle to share!!!! You did good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wbyman

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2021, 04:54:54 PM »
4 sounds good. Keep mixing in those cuts!  I think this is awesome!
"Control your destiny, or someone else will"

Offline greencop01

• Longbeard
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2021, 04:07:33 PM »
Number 4 sounds good.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2021, 07:20:22 PM »
Quite honestly, there was not enough difference in any of them for me to say one would call a gobbler over another one.  They are all good-sounding calls and he did a good job of calling with every one of them. Of course, he was running them to demonstrate differences in sound and tonal quality.  Under real "turkey calling" conditions, he would obviously want to vary the volume, length of calling, and types of "turkey sounds" used, but I would bet you have gone over all of that with him, as well. 

It would seem to me that you have obviously taught him to vary the tempo in his calling and that is good.  Same with adding clucks/cuts in the calling sequences.  All in all, a great job with all the calls.  If he is just starting and can run the calls that well already, it will never be the calling that determines his future successes or failures.  It will be some other factor among the myriad elements that come into play.   

You have taught him well!