OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Give a 14 year old 4 mintues?

Started by WTNUT, February 02, 2021, 10:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WTNUT

This evening a father and so were over at my house learning to run a pot call.  The 14 year old has wanted to turkey hunt for a year or so,  and I told he we would go and I would do my best to teach him to call.   I had 5-6 pot calls out and told him whatever one he could run the best would be his.   I then told them to start following the forum due to there being a ton of good information here.

He could not decide which her ran best,  and ask if I could ask "the experts" on the forum.   So if you have 4 minutes to kill let us know which you like best.   In fairness,  his first attempt was about 12 minutes and I was hurrying him along.  I think he does a fantastic job after just a few weeks of practice!
I forgot to call out call number one,  but I do give call numbers before all other calls.  All are pot calls.

Thanks! 

https://youtu.be/G-zt4A8PITE

rakkin6

Quote from: WTNUT on February 02, 2021, 10:38:44 PM
This evening a father and so were over at my house learning to run a pot call.  The 14 year old has wanted to turkey hunt for a year or so,  and I told he we would go and I would do my best to teach him to call.   I had 5-6 pot calls out and told him whatever one he could run the best would be his.   I then told them to start following the forum due to there being a ton of good information here.

He could not decide which her ran best,  and ask if I could ask "the experts" on the forum.   So if you have 4 minutes to kill let us know which you like best.   In fairness,  his first attempt was about 12 minutes and I was hurrying him along.  I think he does a fantastic job after just a few weeks of practice!
I forgot to call out call number one,  but I do give call numbers before all other calls.  All are pot calls.

Thanks! 

https://youtu.be/G-zt4A8PITE
Tried to pull it up but it won't let me, it says the video is private.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

WTNUT

WTNUT

Snood Life

I would vote 4. But that is just my  :z-twocents:

WTNUT

Thanks when a few people vote i will let you know what they are.  No losers and no winners he is a good kid.

rakkin6

I vote call 4 also, could just be my ears but it sounds like he was running ones with a little higher pitched better also. Good luck guys safe hunting and put that young man on a bird.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Bowguy

I'd also say 4 but I think a part of the issue is cadence and rollover. Cadence is the rushing thing you spoke of and it's a minor occurrence. Easy fix.The rollover could be affected by simply how he just grabbed the call. Look at the holes on back, you commonly run from one to the next sometimes across one. Not doing so affects break. Another easy fix.  That makes a difference. He's doing good though. Maybe he'll be calling birds for you this year

ChesterCopperpot

I agree with number four. The others he tends to lose that high front end of the yelp. Seems like he's more consistent with four.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

JLH

Yes, he's got it on #4

Pretty amazing he is that good already!

Greg Massey

WTNUT

Quote from: Bowguy on February 03, 2021, 07:01:00 AM
I'd also say 4 but I think a part of the issue is cadence and rollover. Cadence is the rushing thing you spoke of and it's a minor occurrence. Easy fix.The rollover could be affected by simply how he just grabbed the call. Look at the holes on back, you commonly run from one to the next sometimes across one. Not doing so affects break. Another easy fix.  That makes a difference. He's doing good though. Maybe he'll be calling birds for you this year

I told him he had to call in a bird for me!   And,  yes I had him rushed for sure.   Thanks to all for listening.

WTNUT

I really had not listened to the video until just now.   I agree 4 is the best.   I think with more practice and me not telling him he can't ask people to listen to a 20 minute video he will be able to run them all really well!   Funny thing,  I probably had 25 calls and he wanted to put them all in the video  :) :) :) :)

But,  you know what at this point,  I thrive on seeing that youthful excitement when it comes to a young person wanted to learn,  explore and hunt. 

slicksbeagles1

I would pick 4 or 6. He's doing a good job might slow down a tad on Yelps but sounds like he's got it going on