OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What The Frames???

Started by SCGobbler, February 02, 2021, 02:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCGobbler

Been making diapghrams and now I'm out of frames.

I am using a Feather Ridge Hand Jig with Autotension.

I have been using the non-adhesive crowned frames and it's time to buy more frames.

What are the advantages / when to use guidance for:

Small adhesive crowned frames
Small crowned frames
Small adhesive flat frames
Small flat frames?

When should I be using flat vs. crowned and adhesive vs. non-adhesive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

savduck

All personal choice.

I use all small crowned adhesive. I have one call I use non adhesive.
Georgia Boy

GobbleNut

Great questions.  I have always used the adhesive frames just because it seems to me that they would hold the reeds in place more reliably than frames without adhesive.  Then again, since I haven't used the non-adhesive frames, that opinion is just speculation, so it would be nice to hear from a few different folks with more experience with the frame types on this.

For myself, I have used the MCA (medium crowned adhesive), SCA (small crowned adhesive), and the youth frames (adhesive) in my call making.  Over time, I have graduated towards using pretty much only the SCA frames, as well.  The MCA frames are just big enough to be a bit uncomfortable in my mouth, and the youth frames seem too small for my liking.  In a pinch, I can use any of them, but I prefer the fit of the SCA frames. (referring to Pioneer frames above)

SCGobbler

GobbleNut,

So far my experience is exactly like yours. I did figure out part of my problem though!

The problem I had with the adhesive frames was my latex was sitting too far back after bending. A fellow call make showed me the disgustingly simple tip of using a flat bladed putty knife to push the adhesive down into the crack after making the bend in the frame before removing the adhesive backing.

Not sure why I didn't think of that? 

Sent from Gobbler's Branch on the go!
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

Fdept56

I feel like I get a more consistent back tension across all the reeds without adhesive. As far as not holding as well, I don't cut my latex completely flush with the frame. This way, your tape is holding the reeds also, it may not help but I haven't had any calls loose tension within a year and very few after a year.

GobbleNut

Quote from: SCGobbler on February 02, 2021, 02:59:59 PM
When should I be using flat vs. crowned and adhesive vs. non-adhesive?

This is the question I would like to see answered with some detailed explanation.  I do get the point made by Fdept56 about how the reeds contacting the adhesive might impact the back tension, especially in multiple-reed calls. 

Overall, I just can't picture how the non-adhesive frames would not present a bigger problem with reed slippage, especially over time.  Again, I don't have enough experience using flat frames and non-adhesive frames to know what the advantages of using those might be. 

...Good topic for discussion for us mouth-call builders....  :icon_thumright: