OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: What The Frames???  (Read 2435 times)

Offline SCGobbler

• Ya can't fix stupid!
What The Frames???
« on: February 02, 2021, 02:59:59 PM »
Been making diapghrams and now I’m out of frames.

I am using a Feather Ridge Hand Jig with Autotension.

I have been using the non-adhesive crowned frames and it’s time to buy more frames.

What are the advantages / when to use guidance for:

Small adhesive crowned frames
Small crowned frames
Small adhesive flat frames
Small flat frames?

When should I be using flat vs. crowned and adhesive vs. non-adhesive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

Offline savduck

• Limbhanger
Re: What The Frames???
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 12:08:30 AM »
All personal choice.

I use all small crowned adhesive. I have one call I use non adhesive.
Georgia Boy

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 08:37:23 AM »
Great questions.  I have always used the adhesive frames just because it seems to me that they would hold the reeds in place more reliably than frames without adhesive.  Then again, since I haven't used the non-adhesive frames, that opinion is just speculation, so it would be nice to hear from a few different folks with more experience with the frame types on this.

For myself, I have used the MCA (medium crowned adhesive), SCA (small crowned adhesive), and the youth frames (adhesive) in my call making.  Over time, I have graduated towards using pretty much only the SCA frames, as well.  The MCA frames are just big enough to be a bit uncomfortable in my mouth, and the youth frames seem too small for my liking.  In a pinch, I can use any of them, but I prefer the fit of the SCA frames. (referring to Pioneer frames above)

Offline SCGobbler

• Ya can't fix stupid!
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 08:43:15 AM »
GobbleNut,

So far my experience is exactly like yours. I did figure out part of my problem though!

The problem I had with the adhesive frames was my latex was sitting too far back after bending. A fellow call make showed me the disgustingly simple tip of using a flat bladed putty knife to push the adhesive down into the crack after making the bend in the frame before removing the adhesive backing.

Not sure why I didn’t think of that? 

Sent from Gobbler’s Branch on the go!
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

Offline Fdept56

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 09:43:57 AM »
I feel like I get a more consistent back tension across all the reeds without adhesive. As far as not holding as well, I don’t cut my latex completely flush with the frame. This way, your tape is holding the reeds also, it may not help but I haven’t had any calls loose tension within a year and very few after a year.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 02:38:24 PM »
When should I be using flat vs. crowned and adhesive vs. non-adhesive?

This is the question I would like to see answered with some detailed explanation.  I do get the point made by Fdept56 about how the reeds contacting the adhesive might impact the back tension, especially in multiple-reed calls. 

Overall, I just can't picture how the non-adhesive frames would not present a bigger problem with reed slippage, especially over time.  Again, I don't have enough experience using flat frames and non-adhesive frames to know what the advantages of using those might be. 

...Good topic for discussion for us mouth-call builders....  :icon_thumright: