OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: How far is too far?  (Read 6726 times)

Offline mountaineer long beard

How far is too far?
« on: February 02, 2021, 12:04:27 PM »
I know we're supposed to get as close as possible and each situation is different, but say something is keeping you from getting in close to a gobbling bird, maybe a property line or open terrain. How far away before you figure he's too far to try to call in?

I'm in WV so it's all up and down, very little flat ground if that makes any difference.

Mike

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Online paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
Re: How far is too far?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 12:08:18 PM »
If I can hear him way off, and unless the wind is blowing, he's hearing me. Sometimes that can be close enough if hunting property lines.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 12:38:54 PM »
If I can hear him he’s not too far. Now he might not play ball, but distance wouldn’t be my issue. I’m in the North Carolina mountains, maybe similar to some of the ground you’re hunting, and as a general rule if I can get above him I’m going to do that. In my opinion, if you’re aware that a turkey is there then he’s not too far away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Gobbler428

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Spurs Up
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 01:05:15 PM »
If I can hear him, I'll work him.

Offline EastKyGobblerSlayer

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 01:17:43 PM »
Ive had birds do some crazy things here in the hills of Eastern Kentucky. Just last year we arrived late to our spot and just as we got out of the car heard a gobble. Only he was across the valley we were standing in and opposite of the property we had permission to hunt. My hunting  buddy and I noticed as we gathered our things he was gobbling pretty hot so we decided to make a call just to test his temperature further. That bird pitched out of the tree and flew completely aross the valley, right over our heads a distance of 600 yards or so and landed on the hillside we did have permission to hunt and immediately began gobbling again. Id say it just depends how lonely he is feeling at that moment.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 01:36:16 PM »
Ive had birds do some crazy things here in the hills of Eastern Kentucky. Just last year we arrived late to our spot and just as we got out of the car heard a gobble. Only he was across the valley we were standing in and opposite of the property we had permission to hunt. My hunting  buddy and I noticed as we gathered our things he was gobbling pretty hot so we decided to make a call just to test his temperature further. That bird pitched out of the tree and flew completely aross the valley, right over our heads a distance of 600 yards or so and landed on the hillside we did have permission to hunt and immediately began gobbling again. Id say it just depends how lonely he is feeling at that moment.
That’s the blessing and the curse of a mountain bird! One time I had some roosted on a ridgeline and they hadn’t made a peep hardly on the limb. Started hearing something shooting by overhead and about the third time I caught sight of one and it was them birds pitching 500-600 yards to a pasture down in the valley below me. Turkeys might not be good flap-their-wings flyers but they sail like a paraglider and that mountain terrain gives them all the elevation they need to pitch and shoot off a long, long ways. Sometimes, as in your situation, for the good, and A LOT of times for the bad

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 02:18:51 PM »
I’m not exactly sure why you’re asking this but if you mean how far is it impossible to call him, that’s as far as he can’t hear you. That being said any hunting is a game of odds. We want to stack them in our favor. Closer is better. Imo forget how far away you can call him from if anything is closer. If he’s barely audible and you have zero other options odds are he may be better than nothing. Trying him can’t hurt. He’s too far to spook most likely anyhow. I’d still be closing that distance if I could. The only thing that would stop me is posters. Maybe that’s your issue, if not move in. Too many things to go wrong at range. An obstacle, another hunter, coyote, hens, etc.

Online bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 02:34:49 PM »
This goes along with How Close is Too Close.  If he is the only Gobbler and has hens, your odds are really Low.  If he is by himself, too close or too far has only one question, Does He Want to Play?  You won't know unless you call to him and see what he does.  Let him know where you are and see what HE does! 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 03:53:23 PM by bbcoach »

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2021, 02:43:43 PM »
I’m not exactly sure why you’re asking this but if you mean how far is it impossible to call him, that’s as far as he can’t hear you. That being said any hunting is a game of odds. We want to stack them in our favor. Closer is better. Imo forget how far away you can call him from if anything is closer. If he’s barely audible and you have zero other options odds are he may be better than nothing. Trying him can’t hurt. He’s too far to spook most likely anyhow. I’d still be closing that distance if I could. The only thing that would stop me is posters. Maybe that’s your issue, if not move in. Too many things to go wrong at range. An obstacle, another hunter, coyote, hens, etc.
I'm asking because I have a lot of turkey hunting experience but very little success and I'm trying to learn from past experiences. For instance on more than one occasion the only gobbler I've heard was a few hundred yards on a neighboring property. I just assumed he wouldn't come that far so I head toward the other end of our property in hopes of hearing one I can get closer to. Reading the responses so far if that happens again this year I will call to that turkey and try to lure him onto our property.

Mike

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2021, 03:11:25 PM »
It’ll never hurt to try, just don’t blow him up calling. If there’s a reason they’re going there not much may bring him til things change. Like if he’s w a hen, if she leaves he’ll be more willing to come. Do you know what the draw there is? Food, hens, etc. Are you sure nothing is in the way? Brooks, fences, thick briars, etc. I’ve seen birds fly brooks, walk through pretty thick briars and even hop over goat fences but that’s not ideal. Keep in mind trying to up your odds.

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2021, 03:45:09 PM »
It’ll never hurt to try, just don’t blow him up calling. If there’s a reason they’re going there not much may bring him til things change. Like if he’s w a hen, if she leaves he’ll be more willing to come. Do you know what the draw there is? Food, hens, etc. Are you sure nothing is in the way? Brooks, fences, thick briars, etc. I’ve seen birds fly brooks, walk through pretty thick briars and even hop over goat fences but that’s not ideal. Keep in mind trying to up your odds.
I dont think there's anything between us that would make him hang up except the fence at the property line but its old and down in several places so I could probably set up near one of those spots. It's a good area to hunt with a good bit of sign so it probably wouldn't hurt to just hang out there for a while whether he comes in or not.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2021, 04:02:43 PM »
I dont think there's anything between us that would make him hang up except the fence at the property line but its old and down in several places so I could probably set up near one of those spots. It's a good area to hunt with a good bit of sign so it probably wouldn't hurt to just hang out there for a while whether he comes in or not.

Absolutely! Get tight to the fence line and set up on a spot where the fence is down and all he has to do is walk through. If the bird will work, you’ll kill him.

Online bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2021, 04:09:26 PM »

Good strategy on your part!  Get to one of the openings and call.  If he has hens, they will likely take him away from you.  If he stays in one area circling, in his strut zone, he will gobble his fool head off every time you call wanting you to come to him.  This is the GAME!  The hen is suppose to go to the Gobbler.  If you can't get him to Break and come, leave him for a few hours and try him again or  go after him another day.  Remember it's a GAME.  Good Luck!   

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2021, 04:10:05 PM »
I agree as long as fence opening isn’t small enough to discourage him it’s a great funnel.

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2021, 04:28:22 PM »
I called in a nice gobbler about 5-6 years ago that was so far away I could just barely hear him when he would gobble.  It was early in the season so sound would carry very well. I figured he must be half a mile away but I decided to call to him and he answered back.  It took him a while but he came in.  It was funny it took him forever it seemed to move in but he ran the last 100yards!! :drool:  I learned at that moment if they are ready and can hear you they will come from a long way off.  To this day it's the farthest distance I have ever called one in.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!