OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What’s been your deadliest fiddle box combo?

Started by Riley1, February 01, 2021, 09:48:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riley1

Just like the title says I'm interested in knowing what combos have been the most successful in the woods? Tj or Marlin.

rakkin6

Quote from: Riley1 on February 01, 2021, 09:48:38 PM
Just like the title says I'm interested in knowing what combos have been the most successful in the woods? Tj or Marlin.
Just got a my first fiddle box from TJ about 2 months ago so haven't had it in the woods yet.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

rakkin6

Quote from: rakkin6 on February 01, 2021, 09:50:13 PM
Quote from: Riley1 on February 01, 2021, 09:48:38 PM
Just got a my first fiddle box from TJ about 2 months ago so haven't had it in the woods yet.

It's a butternut and canarywood sounds great when I run it.outaide lots of rasp.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

tlh2865

I'll preface this by saying that I have talked to Marlin and other guys about calls made with the same woods sounding polar opposite from each other. I have on combo that I was telling another guy about and we agreed that we both really liked it. But when I told him that I loved the different sound it had, like a hen who had smoked 2 packs a day for funny years, he was really surprised. Same call that he played was clean young hen.

Now that I have said all of that, my all walnut and Hophornbeam and Blackgum fiddles from Marlin are just plain dynamite

MDTOM84

Greg Massey

Marlin, Mora over walnut misfit and his Mora over walnut fiddle box  and T J walnut over poplar fiddle box .. these are my 3 favorites , but all the ones i have from them both are just as good and killers..

turkeymanjim

Here is mine.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

rakkin6

Quote from: turkeymanjim on February 02, 2021, 09:22:29 AM
Here is mine.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Nice

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

3bailey3

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

vt35mag

Deadliest has been TJ's all walnut.  3 out of 5 longbeards last spring were struck and finished with it, and it alone.
Deadliest of Marlins has been maccasar over butternut.

davisd9

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on February 02, 2021, 12:01:58 PM
Ipe over Butternut

Played this combo off TJ's table at Unicoi last year, all I could say is that is a meat call!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

kwild835

Mac/Butternut has killed the most birds for me.  They seem to really like Ipe/Butternut and Bloodwood/Butternut also.

culpeper

Quote from: tlh2865 on February 01, 2021, 09:53:39 PM
I'll preface this by saying that I have talked to Marlin and other guys about calls made with the same woods sounding polar opposite from each other. I have on combo that I was telling another guy about and we agreed that we both really liked it. But when I told him that I loved the different sound it had, like a hen who had smoked 2 packs a day for funny years, he was really surprised. Same call that he played was clean young hen.

Now that I have said all of that, my all walnut and Hophornbeam and Blackgum fiddles from Marlin are just plain dynamite

This is true no matter who the callmaker is.  Granted you are referencing TJ and Marlin, but any callmaker building with certain wood combos that work for them will very often get very different sound results from the same combo in 3 diff calls.  It's wood!  Now to a degree the callmaker can and usually does tune to enhance certain sound characteristics, but they will not profounding change what the tone of the wood inherently and naturally will offer.