Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Winchester Sx4 "NWTF" 20 gauge turkey.....

Started by RED NECK, February 01, 2021, 09:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RED NECK

I went and shot and patterned this gun again at 9am, I thought I'd try a bushnell trs 25 on it and a .570 primos as I had used the .570 on an sxp and had excellent patterns.I can't say what changed today, whether It is that the gun now has 60ish shells through It and I have bore snaked it 30 times but It was night and day difference from my previous outings,night and day.

I first set up at 18 yards to make sure my trs was on,I was high,and too the right, 3 hevi x shells later I was "perfect". So I moved my bench back to a range lazered 40 yards as always and fired...

-Fed 3rd degree "new" 5,6,7-Left Target
-Fed Grand Slam #5's- Middle Target
-Browning Bxd #5's-  Right Target

The Browning was the first shell I fired at 40 yards and was still "high" so I adjusted after the shot. I also did fire a Tss #7 as well,however It was from further than 40 yards so I won't post it. :drool:

Too say I am happy and relieved is an understatement. I'll check the .585 out when It arrives, but this gun is ready to rock some heads!
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

RED NECK

RED NECK

RED NECK

I did not bother patterning hevi 6, longbeard #5's or 6's because I will be shooting these from the gun. I did fire a hevi x strut at 40 yards and It isn't worth posting,I have 3 of those shells left out of 2 packs,all they are good for is getting a red dot close, from the numerous different chokes/guns I tried with them,lol.

I am still "high" because I like my pattern that way,It's just where I aim on bird,It is comfortable to me and has worked for over 25 years. Good luck this spring to everyone. 2 weeks to the day for me!

RED NECK

I had a few good hunts opening day and Monday,I just never pulled the trigger as I had a new turkey hunter with me and the toms stayed just out of distance. I went for an hour before work on Tuesday but the birds were not treed close so I went to work.

I got up at 330 am and went to a spot I have killed some birds in the past and all I can say is what  a morning,I have had some great ones but this is right up there, just for the amount of birds and the 17 jakes running off 6 toms.I thought,oh well.What a show for 30 minutes and then the bird that was gobbling 150 yards to my right walked right in a line towards me after a few little calls,he thought I was the group of birds that was leaving to my left.

This was my first time in the woods with the new sx4, I range finded this bird at 38 yards and I shot him at 34 yards. This is a good bird for this area. I was in a rush to get him home and cleaned before I had to be at work, for 730am.I shot him at 621 am this morning. Pictures suck,I wish I had somebody around to get pics and I wasn't late already.

Rain tonight and tomorrow,I am heading back up to my camp after work tomorrow,I will have the "new" turkey hunter with me this weekend,maybe he will get lucky.

RED NECK

RED NECK

JeffC

Congrats on a nice Tom, anywhere let alone the frozen north. Still happy with the gun?
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

RED NECK

Yes,more than happy with the gun.I am going to spend some more time after season and into summer testing the .585 trulock.This gun is away for the year now.

The Friday and Saturday that just passed we had 50 mph winds and snow,It was -11 when we woke up for the Saturday morning hunt,at 4am. That morning felt like I was sitting in my stand bow hunting in late December, in top 3 coldest mornings in 25 years I have turkey hunted in.

We had some action late morning but never had them close enough and this morning I called a tom into range for my "new" turkey hunter and well, Mr Tom walked off as I have come to think he got turkey "fever" and hesitated.The bird was maybe 23 yards at most.It boils down to inexperience, I had a clear shot and could have shot but I didn't want to be a bird bully,we talked and there will be no next time,I will take the shot. Fun morning though.Tommy had the last laugh.

BINK McCARTY

I was reading some of your posts' and you sound like a great role model and one hell of a human being!!! Congratulations on a nice big bird and keep up with takin new hunters, cuz they are our future.