OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New 410 Project Rossi Turkey Tuffy

Started by Curtdawg88, January 28, 2021, 04:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curtdawg88

So I ordered a Rossi Turkey Tuffy from Bullets and Arrows on Gunbroker for $99 plus $35 shipping. A lot cheaper than I could find anywhere else. This is the second gun I've ordered from them. Both great experiences.

I picked it up yesterday and put my hands on it for the first time. Seems like a great little gun that will be great for the kids! I have never owned a 410 before.

I cleaned it today using a brush wrapped in a patch with solvent. I have to say this is the dirtiest new firearm I have ever seen! The first patch came out black as tar!

I removed and cleaned the screws holding the site rail on. I have read they are short and will rattle loose. Short is an understatement! I used blue locktite to reinstall the screws.

I ordered a Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 red dot today and will get it mounted up once it arrives.

I've got some #9 target loads in the safe to use to sight it in and Federal TSS #9s for patterning and hunting. I plan to use the factory turkey choke based on some other reviews and pattern pictures I've seen. I hope I have as good of luck!

Can't wait to see what it will do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid."

hoythunter

Sounds like you got a good deal. Good choice on the trs-25. That's what I'm running on my 410 and really like it. Good luck.

Elmerfudd

I also have one. Loctite or not I felt that mount wasn't down securely enough. I have my barrel being shortened to 20" right now and threaded for invector. When i get it back I'm going to use JB weld on the base to make sure it's on for good. Looking forward to working on loads. Very light and handy little shotgun

davisd9

Bought a Steven's 301T 410 today for my boy to use. Planning on using the Bushnell as well. I saw these Rossi's and they look like nice little guns. Good luck!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

DP42912

Bought one for my son as well. Still have to mount the FF3 and sight it in, going to try federal tss 9.

Curtdawg88

Finally got around to sighting in and patterning the gun today. The day before youth weekend. Nothing like waiting until the last minute!

I was able to pattern at 25 yards and 40 yards. I used the factory turkey choke and Federal TSS #9. Obviously not the same quality of a pattern out of a 20 or 12 gauge but should definitely result in a dead turkey under 40 yards. I didn't count the pellets in a 10 inch circle but see the patterns at 25 and 40 yards. I may try some other choke and shell combos to see if I can improve it. Anybody have any experience with other chokes/shells with this gun?

I ran a bore snake through it after every shot.

What do you think?

25 yards

40 yards

ky.trophy

:welcomeOG:I have one and with a Indian Creek 385 and my handloads it will shoot in the 180s in the 10 at 40yds.

trkehunr93

Just bought one of these this past Saturday at a local gun shop.  Fit my youngest son perfect, swung by Wally World and grabbed a inexpensive Tasco red dot for it.  Barrel looks pretty dirty for a brand new gun, looks like I'll have my work cut out for me on that part.  Found some Browning .410 TSS for a good deal, hope to get out later this week or weekend to sight and pattern it.  I like the feel of the gun and might tote it a few times myself.   

trkehunr93

Took my son out this past weekend to sight his in and pattern it, with the Browning TSS and the factory extra full choke I was impressed with what it looked like at 20 and 40.  The Tasco held it's zero good also.  I was able to get the barrel clean pretty good with just Hoppes #9 and a good scrubbing with a bronze brush, which surprised me because when I looked down the barrel when I bought it I would have said it needed alot more to clean it.  I plan to carry it a few times myself, darn things as light as a feather.

Curtdawg88

Quote from: trkehunr93 on March 26, 2021, 10:26:01 AM
Took my son out this past weekend to sight his in and pattern it, with the Browning TSS and the factory extra full choke I was impressed with what it looked like at 20 and 40.  The Tasco held it's zero good also.  I was able to get the barrel clean pretty good with just Hoppes #9 and a good scrubbing with a bronze brush, which surprised me because when I looked down the barrel when I bought it I would have said it needed alot more to clean it.  I plan to carry it a few times myself, darn things as light as a feather.
Do you have any pics of your patterns? I'd like to see the difference between the federal and browning TSS. The barrel on mine was the dirtiest I have ever seen on a new firearm. I didn't deep clean just cleaned good with solvent and a wire brush wrapped in a patch.