OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best Sit Anywhere style turkey vest

Started by WTNUT, January 25, 2021, 10:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WTNUT

Would appreciate opinions regarding sit anywhere style vests.  I am looking to replace a 25 year old Bucklite vest where straps between seat and back are cinched ti make a seat with back supoort.  I have ruled out the primos rocker due to reviews.  My front runner is probably Alps Impact.

Tail Feathers

ALPS or the BassPro version if you don't want the metal framework type.  I have had both, don't like the metal framework types but getting too old for sitting on the largely unpadded seats.  I usually just carry the chair. 
I did pick up the ALPS Scout, it's mostly a padded seat similar to the Bucklick Creek with a 2" padded seat.  It has carry straps and you can carry water and a couple of calls in it.   My 10 year old grandson nabbed it and I didn't get to try it.  He loved it.  I think it weighs 3 lbs or so?
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

rakkin6

I have the Cabela's Tactical Tatr with the kickstand and love it. Cushion is fairly thick and has a ton of pocket room.  If you decide that you want to take the stand out it is fairly simple to do and also to put back in. If you knew that you were going to be using your turkey lounger and wanted to take it out takes about 1 minute. If you are unsure about your setup the night before it takes about 2 minutes to put back in. Actually I am going to buy another one before this year's season. I like the Alps just not a huge fan of their pocket layout (could also be I am just used to the layout of what I have already) so take that for what it's worth. Good luck in your search.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

WTNUT

Quote from: rakkin6 on January 26, 2021, 03:19:48 AM
I have the Cabela's Tactical Tatr with the kickstand and love it. Cushion is fairly thick and has a ton of pocket room.  If you decide that you want to take the stand out it is fairly simple to do and also to put back in. If you knew that you were going to be using your turkey lounger and wanted to take it out takes about 1 minute. If you are unsure about your setup the night before it takes about 2 minutes to put back in. Actually I am going to buy another one before this year's season. I like the Alps just not a huge fan of their pocket layout (could also be I am just used to the layout of what I have already) so take that for what it's worth. Good luck in your search.

I will look at Cabelas, but cant imagine I would like any with a frame.  I hunt the hills of southeastern Ohio most of the time and most of the time I am set up on the side of a hill.   A "lounger' with the straps is ideal even when in front of a tree.  It levels you up so to speak.   "Legs" from a frame just don't seem to be ideal on uneven ground.   

rakkin6

Do you hunt down in the Ohio River Valley?

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Dtrkyman

Lafuma low chair, it is a backpacking/camping chair, really light, less than half a turkey lounger. Not big boy approved though, I would say under 200 though it is rated higher.

WTNUT

Quote from: rakkin6 on January 26, 2021, 09:14:11 AM
Do you hunt down in the Ohio River Valley?

Yes we are close to the Ohio river,  but there are plenty of hills in that valley :)

WTNUT

As I think about it,  I suspect one could pick whatever vest he or she like the best and turn it into a lounge style vest.   All you have is two pieces of strap with a cinch clip sewn between the back of the vest and the sides of the seat pad.   How hard could it be. 

Mbhyman88

I bought and used the Alps grand slam vest last year and was very happy with the quality, plan to use it again this year.  I used the frame only once and found it supper comfortable but ended up taking it out and using the vest without it since most of the time I can find a good tree to sit against and found the frame a little bulky.  The legs do adjust independently but may not be short enough for a steep hill behind you (not sure, I'm a flatlander).  If the impact vest is built anything like the grand slam which I assume it is, I think you will be happy with the impact.  You just wont have a thick cushion like the grand slam or the cabelas vest.  I also did a "speed seat" mod to my grand slam and couldn't be more satisfied.

kendallrouse

I was just searching to see if I could find anything on turkey vests because I wanted to brag on mine so to speak and didnt want to make a new thread if it had already been reviewed or talked about.

Friend if mine had the tactical tat'r from cabelas that is about 10 years old and used hard without showing signs of giving up the ghost. When I went in search of one I discovered the one with the frame had been discontinued, I was told that there were some recent quality issues and they were unsure if it would return. I bought the nomad vest with the seat and it was okay but really hurt my back and left me still searching for a tree to lean on. The seat was of poor quality and the company referred me to the original seller to get it replaced, they said they didnt offer parts.

Last year I bought the Alps grand slam and was hesitant about it having a frame. I hunted it hard and used it for just about every day of our spring season. Mid season i lost some nuts that you use to set the tension on the legs for adjustment, I called alps and they sent me replacements and extras free of charge. It held up extremely well. Has well thought out storage and overall I feel like is a great vest. Not only did i use it on flat ground but I was able to use it on very hilly terrain because as stated before the legs are independently adjustable.

If your looking for a vest with a seat I feel like this is a good option. I had no issues with run and gun from it being overly heavy or bulky. I hope this helps someone and if anyone has any questions let me know.

WTNUT

I have darn near talked myself into buying whatever vest I think has the best storage options and seat then adding the straps to cinch the seat to the back.   Where I hunt,  99 percent of the time I am against a tree but the ground is always slopping and the straps with a lounge style serve the greatest purpose by leveling you up from left to right. 

I am looking closely at the Alps Super Elite 4.  It has straps and buckles attached to the seat already.  All you would have to do is sew straps with the female buckles to the back and attach them and you would have the same style that I like.   

Longtom1.5

I'll second the cabelas tatr. Good vest.

WTNUT

Quote from: Longtom1.5 on January 26, 2021, 08:00:17 PM
I'll second the cabelas tatr. Good vest.

Going to look at this one when cabelas gets their turkey stuff on the floor ugh I am ready they are not ha

Tail Feathers

Quote from: WTNUT on January 26, 2021, 07:39:46 PM
I have darn near talked myself into buying whatever vest I think has the best storage options and seat then adding the straps to cinch the seat to the back.   Where I hunt,  99 percent of the time I am against a tree but the ground is always slopping and the straps with a lounge style serve the greatest purpose by leveling you up from left to right. 

I am looking closely at the Alps Super Elite 4.  It has straps and buckles attached to the seat already.  All you would have to do is sew straps with the female buckles to the back and attach them and you would have the same style that I like.
All the stadium seat type vests have stiff stays running up and down the length of the back on each side.  That's for support to keep the vest back upright.  I don't think your plan would work without such support on the back.  But good luck if you try.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

WTNUT

Quote from: Tail Feathers on January 26, 2021, 08:36:45 PM
Quote from: WTNUT on January 26, 2021, 07:39:46 PM

All the stadium seat type vests have stiff stays running up and down the length of the back on each side.  That's for support to keep the vest back upright.  I don't think your plan would work without such support on the back.  But good luck if you try.

You may be right - have to look at some closely.  My bucklite i have used since 1996 does not have stays it wraps tight around your back and works.  The pockets just are not great if you want to carry several friction calls.  I use to be a mouth call only guy but into the friction calls these days.  But again your point is valid appreciated and a good catch.