OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Rain gear recommendation  (Read 3383 times)

Offline Cowboy

• The Boss Gobbler
Rain gear recommendation
« on: January 25, 2021, 01:52:34 PM »
Probably been mentioned before, but do you guys have any recommendations for QUIET and breathable waterproof rain suit in Mossy Oak? Thanks.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Rain gear recommendation
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 02:28:01 PM »
I’ve been really impressed with the Cabelas space suit. Now the material isn’t ultra quiet but when I’m sitting in the rain whether for deer (rifle) or turkey it doesn’t require enough movement for that to really be bothersome. Usually the woods are loud when it’s raining anyhow. I’m more concerned with just staying dry and they’re great for that. Longest sit was five hours in an absolute downpour and I stayed bone dry. Also pack down small enough that you can always carry them with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 02:47:40 PM by ChesterCopperpot »

Offline Dtrkyman

• Double Beard
Re: Rain gear recommendation
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 07:21:18 PM »
I have the space rain as well, nothing quiet about it, but if it raining I am not that worried about noise. If it's really raining I  am headed for the truck!

Offline RiverBuck

• Custom Hunting Arrows
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 07:31:49 PM »
I been running the Kuiu Yukon gear.. It too is noisy but will keep you dry from the rain. I wouldn't suggest hiking around w it on though. It doesn't breath and you'll defeat the purpose of wearing it.

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 07:43:55 PM »
i put up one or two ground blinds in good spots i can get to really fast and hunt them on rainy days, my nice calls dont like to get wet!

Offline tracker#1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
  • Big game tracker with dogs, Oathkeeper, NRA Endowm
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 09:16:29 PM »
X2 on Cabela's space suit. I wore it twice on New Foundland Moose hunts through the "tuck" weed, no issues, very packable. I always carry a cheap $5 poncho in my vest in case of a thunderstorm.

Offline Remington700

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 09:52:58 PM »
I have owned several over the years. My favorite is a mossy oak one I picked up at Walmart. It was affordable, quiet, and comfortable.

Offline WTNUT

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2021, 09:57:30 AM »
Don’t shoot the messenger for the price tag,  but I have a set of Sitka Cloudburst in Subalpine camo that is really nice.   I am not a super fan that believes everything Sitka or Kuiu makes is perfect,  but this rain gear is great.   It isn’t noisy,  but then again it isn’t fleece.    The thing I like about it is that it is sturdy enough to know you have something to protect you from wind and rain,  light enough to not be a rubber suit,  ventilated well enough to not make you hot,  and somewhat packable.    I am not a fan of rain gear generally,  but I will give these a five star. 

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2021, 06:57:34 PM »
i put up one or two ground blinds in good spots i can get to really fast and hunt them on rainy days, my nice calls dont like to get wet!
  X2... this right here ...

Offline longbeards

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 07:03:53 PM »
I also use the Cabelas Space Rain Gear, I bought a 3xl several years ago. Sadly I tore a hole in it on a barbwire fence and went to get a new one.They still make it but not in 3xl, THE reason I got the 3 xl is it is big enough to cover my vest and calls in the rain!!

Offline agturkey

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Give more than you take!
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2021, 08:56:03 AM »
If camo color can be overlooked Columbia makes great rain gear.  They use to have it in Breakup but have not seen it for a few years now. 

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2021, 09:52:55 AM »
I like the cabelas gear as others have mentioned. Folds up tight and extremely light.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2021, 10:15:36 AM »
Living where we rarely have to deal with rain while hunting, I just have one of the "el cheapo" vinyl rain suits.  It is both noisy and has a sheen to it. I have plans to travel to hunt turkeys in places where dealing with rain is probably going to be a regular issue. Once I get back home, I probably won't ever have the need to be "waterproof" again.

My question, then, is this:  Does anybody know of an inexpensive camo rain suit that is made of a material that is not noisy and does not have a "shine" to it when wet?   

Offline Cowboy

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2021, 12:06:52 PM »
Thanks guys for all the feedback. I watched some reviews on the Cabela's space rain suit this morning.  For the money, probably go with this one. Also small when packed up. Planning some out of state hunts so want something just in case.

Online eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2021, 12:34:18 PM »
My question, then, is this:  Does anybody know of an inexpensive camo rain suit that is made of a material that is not noisy and does not have a "shine" to it when wet?   

I don't worry about the shine, everything shines when it's raining. I don't even worry about it being camo. I wear my fishing bibs in forest green and a cheap camo raincoat. I have killed a bunch of birds in that outfit and I never felt like it spooked them. I like being dry. On down pour days I wear the full Helly hansen fishing suit and just wear my vest over the coat. I put any calls that can't get wet in the truck and don't take them. A vest dries easy.  As to noise, yeah I haven't seen any that are quiet and dry. The Helly Hansen isn't to noisy.

Here's what I wear in the rain:
These bibs -  https://www.amazon.com/Helly-Hansen-Workwear-Mandal-Fishing/dp/B005LB8G4A/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=helly+hansen+rain+gear&qid=1612113787&sr=8-5

This coat - https://www.amazon.com/Frogg-Toggs-Action-Jacket-Realtree/dp/B07D4MJG6D/ref=sr_1_41?crid=1S2OSTT5G1WGO&dchild=1&keywords=frogg%2Btoggs%2Brain%2Bjacket&qid=1612114137&sprefix=frog%2Btoggs%2Caps%2C348&sr=8-41&th=1&psc=1