OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: CALLING TO TURKEYS ON THE ROOST  (Read 4344 times)

Offline Turkeyman

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: CALLING TO TURKEYS ON THE ROOST
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2021, 08:48:22 PM »
Leaf scratching was mentioned. But...if you leaf scratch do so as a real hen. I.e. Scratch....Scratch Scratch....Scratch.

Offline simpzenith

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2021, 10:21:10 PM »
I'm calling to a roosted gobbler about every single time unless I inadvertently end up directly under one. I try to set up close (100 yards or just under) and my goal is to paint a picture of a hen waking up then pitching down. I try to sound like multiple hens sometimes that are eager to meet that horny gobbler. How aggressive I get is dependent on what other turkeys are around us, how vocal they are, where they are located in relation to the target gobbler and also how the gobbler is responding to my calling. More often than not, they fly down in my direction and come on in. I've never really understood the concept of waiting until they fly down to begin calling. They may fly down 100+ yards away, sail across a river or a huge valley (in hill country) and now you've really got your work cut out for yourself. Since I primarily hunt public, I want that gobbler down off that limb and in my lap before anyone else has a chance to try to sneak in the gobbler and wreck the whole deal. Just my thoughts on it.

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2021, 10:38:08 PM »
I call to roosted turkeys only IF they gobbled early, allowing me to sneak in and set up close to them undetected. Then I only call enough to get their attention.
I don't find myself in this situation very often, but when I do, I call to them and get a couple of gobbles, then I shut up. In these situations I have killed the gobbler about 60% of the time. Some of my most memorable hunts were right off the roost.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2021, 10:49:09 PM »
I'm calling to a roosted gobbler about every single time unless I inadvertently end up directly under one. I try to set up close (100 yards or just under) and my goal is to paint a picture of a hen waking up then pitching down. I try to sound like multiple hens sometimes that are eager to meet that horny gobbler. How aggressive I get is dependent on what other turkeys are around us, how vocal they are, where they are located in relation to the target gobbler and also how the gobbler is responding to my calling. More often than not, they fly down in my direction and come on in. I've never really understood the concept of waiting until they fly down to begin calling. They may fly down 100+ yards away, sail across a river or a huge valley (in hill country) and now you've really got your work cut out for yourself. Since I primarily hunt public, I want that gobbler down off that limb and in my lap before anyone else has a chance to try to sneak in the gobbler and wreck the whole deal. Just my thoughts on it.

Although I do believe a guy can call too much to a gobbler on the roost, I think the important factors are knowing when to call (and when not to), what to say, and how to say it.  Shane, you have hunted enough to know all of those things.  I think the problems with calling to birds on the roost occur most often with newer hunters that don't have the experience to know when, what, why, and how to call to roosted turkeys. 

I do believe that less experienced hunters should stick to the philosophy that "less is better" until they have hunted roosted turkeys enough to understand the dynamics of roosted-turkey communication.  Even with that experience, however, it is easy enough to get it wrong with irritating regularity.   ;D

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2021, 11:22:16 AM »

I was hoping you'd answer.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2021, 02:03:01 PM »
X3 .. I pretty much agree with this post , it all depends on the mood of the gobblers and the time of the season and hunting pressure in my opinion..

Offline PalmettoRon

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2021, 03:04:06 PM »
Yes to Greg. It all depends. It only comes with experience. Calling to a gobbler on the roost has many variables. Is he alone? Is he roosted with a bunch of hens? Are there hens between the gobbler and you? Are there hens on the opposite side of your position to the gobbler? Are you on private vs heavily hunted public ground? Are the birds Easterns/Osceolas vs Rios/Merriams? I think all of these factors and more, influence how much and how you call to a roosted gobbler. However, if you overdo it, the gobbler probably will not come and if you under do it in the face of other real hens, the same is true. No one has all the right answers, but that being said, I've killed way more gobblers well after fly down than shortly after they fly down.

Unless you know where that gobbler prefers to go, he's probably not gonna pitch down and come in on a string unless he already wanted to go in that direction or had hens headed your way.

You learn by doing. As it has been said, "If you lose, don't lose the lesson."

Offline El Pavo Grande

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2021, 08:33:07 PM »
If he’s alone, I might tree yelp soft once or twice, or none at all.  I’ll call as soon as I hear him pitch down.  I use a wing a lot too.   If he has vocal hens nearby, I might call a little more.  But, less is best 99% of the time for me personally. 

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2021, 09:08:24 PM »
Very conservative while on the roost. Let him know I am here then wait till he hits the ground.

Offline WTNUT

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2021, 09:34:47 PM »
Since new to the forum,  it is time for me to add something.   After 38 years of hunting,  I agree with the posts above.  When it comes to calling to them on the roost,  more is better.   I agree entirely with the person that said as soon as the gobbler knows you are there stop.   One of my biggest mistakes early on was making them gobble their heads off on the roost because I thought I was doing something ha ha and they would fly down and go the other direction every time!   Good luck.

Yes you are right need to figure how to modify recovering from covid and brain is a few days behind thanks

;D  I would assume from the rest of your post that you actually meant "less is better" rather than "more is better" (you might want to hit the modify post button)

Offline dah

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2021, 09:42:51 PM »
First started I called to them in the tree quite a bit . Lots of gobbling , not very many birds in the vest . Scaled back and called differently and put a few in the vest . Most of the birds I work are later in the morning after fly down .  But a lot of them are in the tree next door . I only want one or two gobbles in the tree on public , so I don't encourage it . Lately I have pushed in early on a roosted bird , When I gave a little call to let him know I was there ,  I thought , I am on the ground , to early to be on the ground . I am surprised they don't think about that and get suspicious , doesn't seem to distract them ,  just something going thru my mind .

Offline Brad_Colvin

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2021, 06:57:18 AM »
I'm calling to one on the roost every time unless I'm so close to him that he can see my position. I don't call alot but I want him to at least know there is a hen in my direction.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Offline WW

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2021, 04:32:10 PM »
Great info here! Thanks for the response fellas! Next question.. A successful guide in South Dakota told me that they never call to the turkeys before fly down and I know guys that live by that rule in the south also. Not even a single yelp, NOTHING. My question is why? Why do some hunters not call to birds until fly down? Just trying to understand that tactic.

Offline Turkeyman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2021, 04:58:32 PM »
Well, bully for the "successful guides" and "guys down south". But I want a tom to "think" in my direction so I'll continue to run a soft tree call at him, then shut up.

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2021, 05:26:43 PM »
 each set up on each bird is different, for me if I'm not calling at all to a bird on the roost it's likely that I'm close enough to see him in the tree and don't want him staring at me waiting for the hen to show herself.

I've not called to public land birds before and just tried to pin down where he's roosted and what he does so I can come back the next day and be in a better position. Those are usually birds that take so much pressure that any calling makes them shut up or act goofy.

In situations where there are a lot of hens I'd say do or don't your chances of influencing the flock and where they want to go is already minimized to pretty low.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>