OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: March Public Land Turkey Hunts  (Read 3326 times)

Offline PalmettoRon

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
Re: March Public Land Turkey Hunts
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2021, 10:30:59 AM »
North GA mountains might be worth a try. It's difficult terrain in areas and the weather can be iffy that time of year, along with the birds not necessarily turned on, but I have intermittently hunted there and have not been bothered by out of state hunters, even though I am an intruder too--from SC.

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2021, 03:09:42 PM »
If you go to north Florida you won't deal with a terrible amount of non resident pressure. All the non residents want an osceola and those are eastern up there. Two pretty good size national forests just a couple hours apart.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
There's some truth to this one, I don't know if I've ever talked to someone and they said I went to Florida to hunt easterns. Not saying it won't have pressure but it doesn't have that same draw that south Florida sure gets.

If it was my trip id start with confirming season dates for a few states, narrow it down to 2 or 3 and do a little research on population, harvest data, hunter numbers ect. Then look at available public land and so forth. Once you have a state, an area of the state you can get map scouting some spots.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline Brad_Colvin

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2021, 04:27:02 PM »
If you go to north Florida you won't deal with a terrible amount of non resident pressure. All the non residents want an osceola and those are eastern up there. Two pretty good size national forests just a couple hours apart.

There's some truth to this one, I don't know if I've ever talked to someone and they said I went to Florida to hunt easterns. Not saying it won't have pressure but it doesn't have that same draw that south Florida sure gets.

If it was my trip id start with confirming season dates for a few states, narrow it down to 2 or 3 and do a little research on population, harvest data, hunter numbers ect. Then look at available public land and so forth. Once you have a state, an area of the state you can get map scouting some spots.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Oh they get some pressure but it's mostly local pressure and nothing like public land down south.

Offline Big Jeremy

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2021, 10:03:09 PM »
Of the states you mentioned, I’d recommend going after an eastern in north Florida if you want the least competition. Plenty of decent public land, and you don’t even have to access much of it by boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wkyhunter

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2021, 07:54:43 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions!!

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2021, 11:33:53 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions!!

Keep us posted on how it goes!

Good luck.

Offline wkyhunter

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2021, 01:26:11 PM »
 :Made my first trip to GA for the opener. Didn't get there until late Friday afternoon. Parts of the trip could best be described as a cluster .....
Anyway hit up several WMAs across North GA prior to heading home Tuesday afternoon. Was overall a good trip, even though I didn't connect on one. Met some fine folks and some "characters" too.
Hope to be in TN next Saturday for the opener. Thanks again to everyone who had suggestions for my little trip.