OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

March Public Land Turkey Hunts

Started by wkyhunter, January 24, 2021, 04:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wkyhunter

Hi All,
Hesitate to ask, but, don't know if you don't, so here goes.
I have a week of vacation to take before March 31 (tough I know), am looking for somewhere to turkey hunt on public land.
I'm located in Western Kentucky so a drive to any of the following wouldn't be too bad.
I'm looking at Alabama, Georgia, or Mississippi; would even consider North Florida if public land was a possibility.
Sure not asking for your honey hole, just general area/ state and maybe why. Also, if some of them are only half day hunts on public that would be good to know.
Thanks in advance.

ShootingABN!

It is a secret. LOL

I sent you a PM.

fallhnt

Grab your bow and go to Nebraska

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

wkyhunter

deerhunt1988

Mississippi opens the earliest but keep in mind that because of this, the public lands will be overflowing with non-residents from surrounding states until those states open.

ShootingABN!

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on January 24, 2021, 06:22:40 PM
Mississippi opens the earliest but keep in mind that because of this, the public lands will be overflowing with non-residents from surrounding states until those states open.

See 9 out of 10 plates are out of state first 3 weeks of season.... LOL I have Virginia plates, military family here in the Sip.
We'll be moving this summer or fall... Hopefully I'll be somewhere that has turkeys, and not overseas....

Good luck everyone.

Jstocks

Mississippi has allowed itself to become a circus and changes are necessary. It's the most pressured state for turkey hunting because of the reason mentioned of its early opener.

I'd go with Alabama. There will still be plenty of pressure, you just won't have the Arkansas, Louisiana, Tennessee, Florida, Alabama, Georgia and residents pressuring the birds like you do in Mississippi.

Mississippi is the new south Florida.

wkyhunter

derek

Don't forget Hawaii!

Although I believe its a little to tougher to get in there this year thanks to covid.
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

wkyhunter

Wife would love it.... The pocket book not so much....

ShootingABN!

Quote from: wkyhunter on January 24, 2021, 07:50:15 PM
Wife would love it.... The pocket book not so much....

Show me the money.

catman529

Quote from: Jstocks on January 24, 2021, 06:59:18 PM
Mississippi has allowed itself to become a circus and changes are necessary. It's the most pressured state for turkey hunting because of the reason mentioned of its early opener.

I'd go with Alabama. There will still be plenty of pressure, you just won't have the Arkansas, Louisiana, Tennessee, Florida, Alabama, Georgia and residents pressuring the birds like you do in Mississippi.

Last year in bama I saw arkansas hunters and myself am from Tennessee, also saw hunters from virginia and I forget where else... no matter where you go, if it opens before other states, it will be crowded. Just keep that in mind when you go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

deerhunt1988

Quote from: Jstocks on January 24, 2021, 06:59:18 PM

Speaking of south Florida....One particular forest in Mississippi will really be overrun this year thanks to the YouTubers. gotta love it!

GobbleNut

Obviously, if you have to go before the end of March, and you want to turkey hunt, you will have to choose a state that opens prior to that.  Simple solution is to look at season dates and pick one. 

I will say this.  If I wanted to actually kill a gobbler and had to choose between Mississippi public land and just about anywhere else, I would choose "anywhere else" (okay,...maybe not Florida).  The "go to Hawaii" suggestion was a really good one!  ;D

Brad_Colvin

If you go to north Florida you won't deal with a terrible amount of non resident pressure. All the non residents want an osceola and those are eastern up there. Two pretty good size national forests just a couple hours apart.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk